USB to PS/2 adapter not working?

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I just got this Dell keyboard:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5818971530

http://pcpartsinc.com/prods/DE-W7658.jpg

It's a simple USB keyboard (no USB hub built into it). I tried to use a purple, generic USB to PS/2 adapter (has keyboard icon on it), but my computer would give a boot error saying that it couldn't find a keyboard. I want to use it on the PS/2 port because I like having the ability to power on my PC with my keyboard (my BIOS has an option for this). Anyone know of a USB to PS/2 adapter / converter that will work with this keyboard? Thanks.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I think both USB and PS/2 ports supply 5V. Are there any adapters then that also carry the power over? I tried both a generic USB to PS/2 adapter and one that came with a Logitech keyboard (both of them were purple and had little keyboard icons on them).

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
Yes, both connections provide for power... Though the pinouts for different PS2 adapters are different for different keyboards, of which I have ever noticed really only two. In my years of experience I have come across microsoft and logitech pinned PS2 to USB adapters. You probably have the opposite of what you need. Might try finding another one... I bet that is the issue at hand... It is also possible the power pinouts are not even connected, some wire modding could fix that for you, but likely impractical for your means... Your choice...

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Ok. Just checked and the generic one I tried has the same pins in the PS/2 end as the Logitech one.

Anyone wanna send me a purple USB to PS/2 adapter from a microsoft keyboard (I'd pay whatever you think is a fair price for the adapter + shipping) or know where I can get one without actually having to buy a keyboard? Thanks.

ValuedCustomer

May 5, 2004
Originally posted by: IsLNdbOi
I think both USB and PS/2 ports supply 5V. Are there any adapters then that also carry the power over? I tried both a generic USB to PS/2 adapter and one that came with a Logitech keyboard (both of them were purple and had little keyboard icons on them).
Are you sure they're both 5v? I knew PS2 supplied some power (ergo the caps/numlock/etc indicator lights) but I thought the amount was just enough for those LEDs. USB actually powers components like iPods, cameras, multi-function keyboards, etc and I can't see that happening w/ just a 5v supply. - I could totally be wrong though.. anyone else have a definitive answer?

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Yes, both USB and PS/2 supply 5v. I have an Everglide Giganta Ray mouse pad that has 5 very bright blue LED's in it. It has a USB connector and I've tried it in my USB ports and in my PS/2 ports with the same Logitech USB to PS/2 adapter I tried with this Dell keyboard and it does get enough power from the PS/2 ports to light the LED's fully.

JW310

Golden Member
Oct 30, 1999
Originally posted by: ValuedCustomer
Are you sure they're both 5v? I knew PS2 supplied some power (ergo the caps/numlock/etc indicator lights) but I thought the amount was just enough for those LEDs. USB actually powers components like iPods, cameras, multi-function keyboards, etc and I can't see that happening w/ just a 5v supply. - I could totally be wrong though.. anyone else have a definitive answer?

USB uses 5 volts as well. http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb_tech.html

JW

ValuedCustomer

May 5, 2004
Originally posted by: JW310

USB uses 5 volts as well. http://www.hardwarebook.net/connector/bus/usb_tech.html

JW
Well I'll be dipped.. ya see, I was right cuz I was wrong! lol :p

CrispyFried

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
the kb must be designed to support both usb and ps2 to use the adapter. your kb is probably usb only so it wont work.

imported_rod

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2005
I had the same problem with my mouse. It's a logitech MX-510. It only works when plugged into my USB port. Dunno why, sorry...

RoD

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any adapter or something that has a chip built into it that will convert the keyboard's USB interface to PS/2?

dunkster

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
Did you closely inspect the mechanical connection between adaptor/socket?

I had to whittle away a little of the plastic surrounding the plug on one of my PS/2 adaptors to allow full insertion into the PS/2 port. The problem was that the adaptor was hanging up on the edge of the case RF-shield - interfering with full insertion.

Hope this helps!

Mickey21

Aug 24, 2002
It sounds like you're trying to overengineer the situation.. have you considered just buying a USB 2.0 card? NewEgg, $7.99, problem solved.

In the end this may prove most practical... Can you install and add-in card to gain the ability?

Zepper

Elite Member
May 1, 2001
Most USB to PS/2 adapters (which are passive) only work with keyboards that are designed to use them (and if they were, they will come with one). The kbd has to have the internal electronics to detect what it is connected to and shift gears appropriately. I think I've seen a USB to PS/2 adapter with the internal electronics to do this for a generic USB keyboard, but it's as expensive as just getting a PS/2 keyboard.
. The Keytronics keyboard on which the Metadot "Das Keyboard" is based is an excellent choice for under $20. - get the PS/2 model. ;) And some mobos have a jumper as well as a BIOS setting to enable power-up from PS/2 keyboard. The jumper physically connects the +5V standby power to the PS/2 jack. So no worky w/o the jumper.

.bh.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I'm using a Shuttle SN25P which has one PCI Express 1x slot and one PCI Express 16x slot.

@ Zepper
If that adapter costs almost as much as a PS/2 keyboard, I dont' care, I just want one. I know the power on with PS/2 keyboard works. I've been using it with my older USB Logitech keyboard (worked with USB to PS/2 adapter).

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
It sounds like you're trying to overengineer the situation.. have you considered just buying a USB 2.0 card? NewEgg, $7.99, problem solved.

So looking for such an adapter is considered "overengineering"? I hardly thing so. If such an adapter exists, I would be very happy to pay for it.

ValuedCustomer

May 5, 2004

So looking for such an adapter is considered "overengineering"? I hardly thing so. If such an adapter exists, I would be very happy to pay for it.
Hey man, don't get your feelings hurt.. it was just a comment and just a suggestion, both gratis I might add. If you wanna take the long way around, knock yourself out. - sheesh

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't use PCI cards as I only have PCI Express slots (one 1x and one 16x).