USB SCSI enclosures

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a moderate need for a USB 5.25 optical drive to retrieve data from some 2.3 GB optical discs at work.

Unfortunately, the price of new drive is prohibitive (> $1k), however, used drives can be found on ebay for <$100. The only catch is that they're SCSI, which isn't ideal when I need a portable drive.

I've only ever seen IDE-USB enclosures, but was wondering if anyone had ever heard of a USB-SCSI one.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The closest thing to SCSI in that arena is Firewire. It is in fact, derived from SCSI.

But, as Peter suggests, I would consider a PCMCIA SCSI adapter. I used them for a few years - Adaptec had a good one. Sample:

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
The 1460 is 16-bit PCMCIA, abysmally slow by today's standards - and because DMA capability for 16-bit cards has long been dropped from the Cardbus standard, it will do its 2 MB/s at 100% CPU load. (I still have one of those, only used for data retrieval emergencies.)

The 1480 is much better, being 32-bit cardbus with a proper PCI SCSI controller in it. It does Ultra-SCSI with actual transfer rates around 17 MB/s max. The other card I linked to (also available from various other OEMs) is what we use at work. It has a U2W controller chip in it, and reaches up to 66 MB/s actual throughput.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Good call - now you know why I left laptop SCSI at 16-bit. :)

But this case involves data salvage on a one time basis at the lowest cost. All options are on the table.

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
... and the fastest is actually the cheapest (at 50 euros) because you don't have to pay the Adaptec name and still get a quality SCSI controller (an LSI) :)