USB input for viewing .avi, .mpeg, or other video files on TV?

Discussion in 'Audio/Video & Home Theater' started by Edge1, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Edge1

Edge1 Senior member

A friend of mine has a HTIB system which allows him to plug a USB flash drive into his receiver and play video files from it on his 52" LCD TV.

The TV I bought has a USB port on the side, but the manual seems to indicate that its just for viewing photos or playing music.

The Samsung BR player I bought also has a USB port but I do not yet know what that actually does either. Something about BDLive whatever that is.

Obviously none of this is hooked up yet, but I am wondering if either device will allow me to pull video files off my PC, place them onto a flash drive, and then play them through the TV.

Does anyone dabble in this stuff and know the answer?

2. alyarb

alyarb Platinum Member

it entirely depends on the capabilities of the device. USB by itself means nothing. some TVs and blu-ray players can play 1080p MKV files over a flash drive, while some (most) TV's have USB strictly for JPEG and firmware updates.

everything your TV or player can do is listed in the manual or on the website. the "u" in USB stands for universal, so just because a device like a phone, printer, dvd player or cable box has USB, it really doesn't tell you about what it's there for.

#2 alyarb, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Edge1

Edge1 Senior member

Thanks. I don't think at this point I have that capability. Score one for the HTIB systems out there.

4. Edge1

Edge1 Senior member

5. alyarb

alyarb Platinum Member

that link doesn't really work. check out patriot's box office for something cheap and universally compatible.

6. Modelworks

Modelworks Lifer

Set top boxes like the WDTV live will play just about anything the pc can play that is routinely used like h.264,mpeg4,xvid . There are some new ones coming out this month also. Most cost around $100