Question USB-C Cable Adapter

DanStp

Oct 9, 1999
I just purchased a case with USB-C on the front panel. It has the standard internal USB-C cable, and connector. My old MB has an external USB-C port on the back panel only. I need a cable to connect the two. So it would have a standard USB-C male connector on one end, and a female USB-C motherboard connector on the other end.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Don't do it that way.

You need a USB header on the MOBO or and add in card with one on it to attach to the front panel. They're relatively cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/BEYIMEI-Expansion-Internal-Connector-Express/dp/B09L83Y1W9 - $28
https://www.amazon.com/FebSmart-Ports-16Gbps-Bandwidth-Build-Self-Powered-FS-E2C-Pro/dp/B09BMBWMDF - $36
https://www.amazon.com/Expansion-SuperSpeed-Internal-Express-Adapter/dp/B09H428PLW/ - $36

Now, there's another option where you can double the speed to 20gbps / USB 3.2 2x2 but these are rear port only but around that $35 mark as well.

Reactions: walterfsnow

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
A USB socket of the Type C design can be used for ANY of the three current USB3.2 versions: Gen1 is max 5 Gb/s data transfer speed, Gen 2 is 10, and Gen 2x2 is 20 max. What you really need to look at the the connector on the end of the cable that comes down from that front panel to plug into a mobo header.

There is a standard mobo header used for USB3.2 ports called 19-pin, and it is used for either Gen1 or Gen 2 ports - the difference is only in the capabilities of the mobo controller chip. Each such header actually contains two USB3.2 ports, so a cable plugged into one of these should be feeding TWO exterior sockets ideally. Those might both be of the same type (either Type A to Type C), or one of each. The USB people recommend that a socket and cable of Type A (the older style, but for USB3 with blue inserts, not USB2 with black inserts) can be used for either Gen1 or Gen 2, BUT may not deliver full 10 Gb/s speed on a Gen2 connection. Type C is recommended for Gen2 and definitely required for Gen 2x2.

The mobo header for a Gen 2x2 port is much different - called Type E - and requires a different cable and connector to get to an exterior socket that must be Type C. This header has only one USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 port.

So, you need to know which connector is on the end of your new case's cable, and what mobo headers you have to plug that into. If you have NO USB3 mobo headers then you will need an add-on card as suggested above. Tell us what case you got, and what mobo - maker and exact model number - and we can help you find out what things you can match up.

DanStp

Oct 9, 1999
Here are the parts I am using. MSI X99A Godlike Gaming motherboard from around 2016, and the Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL case.

The motherboard does not have an internal USB-C port. It was one of the first ones to have a USB-C port on the back panel. The case has the standard USB-C front panel cable with a male connection

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I see from its manual there is no USB Type C port on the mobo, and that is normal. I see from the CASE manual it has an unusual way to handle its front USB ports. It appears from the drawings (no text detail) that there are TWO USB 3.2 Gen1 ports of the older Type A (case manual says these are "USB3.0") fed by a cable that plugs into a common mobo USB 3.2 Gen1 header, plus ONE Type C port fed by a cable that appears to end in a different connector. It's not clear, but that MAY be the new type E connector that requires a different Type E mobo header. Now, in today's mobos that header usually is used for the newer Gen 2x2 version of USB 3.2, but in some it is used for a Gen 2 version. Your CASE manual labels this single Type C port as for use as "USB 3.1 Gen2". I see from the mobo manual it has neither a Gen2 header (it would look just like the two Gen1 headers), nor a Type E header, so there's now place to plug in the cable from the front Type C socket.

Your mobo does have both Gen1 and Gen2 versions of USB3.2 ports on its back panel (see p. 1-11). Of these, ONE of the Gen2 variety is a Type C socket. But those are the only ways it provides Gen 2 (max 10 Gb/s data transfer) ports. So the only way to provide an additional USB3.2 Gen2 port to connect to your front panel Type C socket would be to add a new USB3.2 Gen2 card to a PCIe slot, as detailed by Tech Junky above. Since it appears (needs to be verified) that the cable involved has a Type E connector on its end, you might consider getting a card that creates a Gen 2x2 port instead - that will certainly provide a Type E connector on the card to match that cable end. Alternatively, you might stick with Gen2 added ports, but then you'd need an adapter like this

That plugs into a common 19-pin USB3.2 Gen1 mobo header and converts it to a Type E mobo header that you CAN plug a Type E cable connector into.

That brings forth another alternative. WITHOUT adding a PCIe card you could use that same adapter on your mobo's second USB3.2 Gen1 header to allow you to plug in that cable from the front Type C socket. That would NOT give you the higher speeds of a Gen2 or Gen 2x2 port, but it would give you one more front panel Gen1 port via a Type C socket.