USB 4 version 2.0 released

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
USB-C for life. Everything else is ass.
Exactly, anyone advocating for more USB connector diversity is insane. Even Apple is likely to move iPhones to USB-C once Europe mandates it as the universal smartphone connector.

USB-IF is super dumb with their naming of each version, but there's nothing consumers can do about it. The worst part of it all is that it's very hard to tell how "capable" any given USB-C cable is. There are standardized logos for USB4 packaging, but just looking at a cable doesn't tell you much (i.e. how many watts can it handle?). Buying cables off of say Amazon is a bit of a nightmare with all the Chinese resellers and their low-end products.

Finally, USB4 2.0 was announced, but not released. (Mini USB was pretty common for digital cameras too.)

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
100w through USB-c? I had no idea you could push that much power through those small connectors. :eek:

USB-C can also handle the same display-bandwidth as displayport v1.4.

Monitor Ports and USB-C: A Comparison of Display Connections (Viewsonic.com)

Buying cables off of say Amazon is a bit of a nightmare with all the Chinese resellers and their low-end products.

Stick with Anker-branded cables/connectors if buying from Amazon .... they do cost a bit more than the average "Ali-Express" grade garbage but they perform as promised/rated IME plus they last.

EDIT: Startech can also usually be counted upon for reliable quality.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
100w through USB-c? I had no idea you could push that much power through those small connectors. :eek:

Yeah it's pretty bonkers...I used to have all kinds of hardware docks for different laptops, now I just use that bad boy for $280. Plug it into to triple HD monitors, set the laptop to stay on with the lid closed, plug in a single cable, voila!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah it's pretty bonkers...I used to have all kinds of hardware docks for different laptops, now I just use that bad boy for $280. Plug it into to triple HD monitors, set the laptop to stay on with the lid closed, plug in a single cable, voila!

Yeah that sounds pretty cool, had no idea you could do that. I heard of Apple's Thunderbolt and always felt we needed something like that for PC, cool to know it does in fact exist. At some point if we get computers at work that support this it would be great when going between office and home instead of having to unplug/replug everything each time.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I don't mind usb standards changing as long as they're fully backwards compatible. If it Just Works® I'll have what I always had, but will get better as my gear improves. The connectors piss me off more. I have two different connectors in active use, and potentially could have two more if I brought some of my old stuff out. It's annoying.
I bought an all in one connector with 3 ends: micro USB, USB c and apple lightning.

Works great when I'm switching between my micro USB and my USB-c phones

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Docks are great for business use cases, but I don't know how many consumers would drop $280 on a dock. :p

FWIW USB4 2.0 can deliver 240W of power:

Looking forward to USB5 when you can charge your BEV with an Anker power adapter. :p

Yeah and you need to buy 2 really, or it defeats the purpose. Would need one at work and one at home.