USB 3.1 Driver Fails to Install - Windows 7

Aug 25, 2006
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and just noticed the USB 3.1 driver I downloaded for my Gigabyte mobo wasn't installed properly.

It seems the one I got with the board was still installed (or a failed install as it needed repair) so I uninstalled that and downloaded the latest one from the Gigabyte website but that fails install too.

I have a Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP mobo and followed the instructions in the readme of doing a "setup.exe /freshinstall" via a command prompt, but I always get told the installation failed via windows notification boxes.

Any ideas?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Did you run an OS upgrade while using the board, or did you perform a clean install of Windows 7 on this board? or did you upgrade hardware and leave the software on the drive in place?

I would try running the setup.exe /uninstall before running the with the freshinstall switch. Make sure your are running the command prompt as administrator.

Aug 25, 2006
It was a fresh install of Windows - new drive. I also tried as you suggested by removing it first and then doing the install but no dice.

Not sure how to check I am running command prompt as admin - I just hold shift + right click and select "Open command prompt here".

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
It was a fresh install of Windows - new drive. I also tried as you suggested by removing it first and then doing the install but no dice.

Not sure how to check I am running command prompt as admin - I just hold shift + right click and select "Open command prompt here".
right click on command prompt choose run as administrator.

it is located under Administrator Tools under all programs after clicking the start button.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
did you enable usb 3.1 in the BIOS?

I know little about 3.1.

is your OS x64?

Executioner

Oct 24, 1999
I think you need to install the latest chipset drivers for your board. That is usually the first thing I do with a fresh install.

Aug 25, 2006
did you enable usb 3.1 in the BIOS?

I know little about 3.1.

is your OS x64?

Not sure about the BIOS, will have to check. Yep, it's x64.

I think you need to install the latest chipset drivers for your board. That is usually the first thing I do with a fresh install.

Yep, I already downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers when I did the Windows install.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
look in Device Manager and see what it says about it.

you may be able to install the device using the .inf file under update.

where is your CD that came with the MB?

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
When I got to device manager it states it is working properly, so I dunno ha

I have my CD - I installed everything off that before applying the updates from the web.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Because it said the installation failed when I attempted to install it; as well as the fact when I right click it in Add/Remove Programs it has a "Repair" option whereas others don't.

I have the repair option on some programs as well. Doesn't mean they are broken. You might want to just run a speed test on the ports. You may find that there is nothing wrong with them at all.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Isn't that limited by the speeds of your external drive you are transferring to?

Yep. That's why I don't worry too much if a USB connection might not have the best drivers possible. It is looks good in device manager, I am satisfied.