USB 2.0 Fast enough for 1080p?

untrueparadox

Dec 24, 2009
yeah definitely. As long as you can get like 20mbit/s transfer speeds, you should be fine. These days, usb hard drives can do 20mbyte/s on sequential reads of one big file.

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
The bus transfer rate is certainly high enough, but I had a 2TB MyBook and it worked dandily for a while, then it decided to slowly ratchet down its performance. The controller card crapped out, so I harvested the EARS hard drive out and just installed it in my computer. Worked for another couple of months, then the drive itself failed. Let's just say I'm not impressed with the MyBooks.

HOWEVER, I have a newer 3TB EZRX Green drive as my media drive now and it's been problem free for nearly a year now.

Last edited:

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
yeah, i dont know why it is, but usb controllers LOVE to degrade with use. seems like anyway!...

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for the input guys. I'm helping a friend upgrade his HTPC and he has little room for a new drive in his case, so we are looking at external solutions. I will advise him that it will work but the drive speed might degrade over time, and we might have to take the drive out of the case and shoe-horn it in the case eventually.

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Thanks for the input guys. I'm helping a friend upgrade his HTPC and he has little room for a new drive in his case, so we are looking at external solutions. I will advise him that it will work but the drive speed might degrade over time, and we might have to take the drive out of the case and shoe-horn it in the case eventually.

Test it on a USB 2.0 memory stick and see how it works. I haven't had any issues with 1080p MKV files, but bigger M2TS files might be problematic.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I've never had an issue with any BR rips (.m2ts) from HDD, Flash Drive, etc. on USB 2.0..... or any other video container for that matter.

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
Test it on a USB 2.0 memory stick and see how it works. I haven't had any issues with 1080p MKV files, but bigger M2TS files might be problematic.
Some computers will have trouble decoding M2TS file from the internal storage. How is it hanging? How are things at Audio section of the forum? Our cool mods blocked my access to it. Don't know it's for 1 month temporary or forever.^_^

yeah, i dont know why it is, but usb controllers LOVE to degrade with use. seems like anyway!...
I have a laptop that's approaching 8 years old, that's been abused, dropped (tile floor), overheated (CPU fan wire cut off), smacked the USB port by accident, etc etc but both USB ports still work... They don't degrade over time, it's sometimes Windows operating system goes day dream and forgot what was connected. ha ha lmao

:colbert:

Last edited: