USB 2.0 devices lockup my computer.

amdguy12389

Feb 1, 2005
I cant seem to get USB 2.0 to work on one of my computers, windows XP Pro SP2. I insert any usb 2.0 compatible device and my pc either locks-up or shows the drive that I connected(Flash or HD) as 0.0 bytes.

This is my mainboard.

This is a screen shot of my device manager.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Are you accessing these USB 2.0 devices from your case's front USB ports?

I have a KT600 motherboard too and I put it in an Antec case. I connect the internal ports to the front of the case. When I plug a USB 1.0 device, everything's fine but when I plug in a 2.0 device, I get a device malfunction.

I'm thinking my problem is that the case's front USB ports do not work with USB 2.0 and I'm wondering if the cause of your problem is the same.

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
I've been experiencing weird minor problems with my board's USB 2.0 ports too. Sometimes it doesn't detect devices. For example, last night it didn't detect my USB 2.0 HD. I had to unplug the device and then plug it back and then everything was okay.

Maybe the Via chipset has flakey USB 2.0 support or something. According to Viaarena.com, there are USB 2.0 drivers from many motherboard's websites. My Epox board had USB 2.0 drivers for WinXP there. I installed them on my motherboard but I'm not sure if it helped or not (this is a new build for me so I haven't gotten to really "know" my motherboard yet)

But I only see Win98/WinME drivers on Asrock's site.

bladephoenix

Sep 28, 2002
I have the EXACT same problem:

I am currently operating a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Pro mobo, which is an Intel 845PE chipset mobo. It has 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports - 2 at the rear, and 4 by a supplied rear bracket. The rear bracket, obviously, connects to corresponding sockets on the mobo.

I am running 4 USB 1.0/1.1 devices connected to the computer at all times:

Zip drive;
A scanner;
A printer;
The USB reciever for the ATI remote wonder.

I also have a USB 2.0 MP3 player.

Now, here is the odd thing: Everything runs fine when I attach the rear bracket to the mobo. However, I wanted to make use of my front USB connectors, so I unplugged two ports from the rear bracket, so I can plug in the connectors for the 2 in the front. Everything still boots up fine...everything is still working normally when I plug in any USB 1.1/1.0 device into the front connectors.

But, when I plug my USB 2.0 MP3 player into ANY of the ports, Windows 2000 just freezes up -- mouse is even frozen. Originally, I thought I had damaged the player, but I unplugged the front connectors, and...VOILA...works again. I was a bit confused as why this could be, since front USB ports are simply cables that carry the signal to the mobo...how can they stall the computer?

Anyway, I just left the front connectors unplugged for now until I find out what is going on.

Then, I got a Viewsonic VP201s, with a USB 2.0 hub. I plugged that into the back of the case. If I plug any device into the hub (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, or otherwise), the computer freezes up the first time I plug it in. After that, Windows doesn't even bother to acknowledge there is a usb hub plugged in.

Any thoughts on what is going on? I know it shouldn't be a power issue, because all the devices, except the ATI remote reciever, is powered seperately from the USB. I don't think it is the case, because it is a Thermaltake Tsunami...it is listed as being able to support USB 2.0 (although in all honesty, I think that USB 1.1 cables are EXACTLY the same as USB 2.0 cables). I know of devices that run at 2.0 speeds using older style USB cables.

rrrssssss

Apr 21, 2003
I had that same problem with my motherboard's USB ports with Windows XP service pack 1 but when I installed service pack 2, the problem disappeared.

I first tried to reinstall the motherboard's USB drivers (DFI) but got a message that they are included with service pack 1. So my problem may have been fixed if I could have reinstalled service pack 1 instead of installing service pack 2. I don't even know if it is possible to reinstall service pack 1. If it is possible, try reinstalling service pack 2. The USB drivers may have become corrupted like mine apparently were.

Roy