USAF unveils the B21 Raider

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Since only the USA is building these a next gen bomber is basically what they say it is.

The revolutionary feature this allegedly brings to the table is unmanned capability. Aside from that most of what it brings is evolutionary, better and cheaper to maintain stealth coatings, they’re suggesting it has better range than the B2, probably a smaller radar cross section, possibly stealthier to things like IRST, there’s a suggestion it has some ability to engage enemy fighters although I don’t know how.
My no knowledge off the cuff thought: AIM 9X high off bore infrared air to air missiles.

If you have a bomb bay then you can store missiles. Add in some of the F35 passive sensor integration with the helmet cue system and you can probably shoot AA missiles at whatever is coming your way without using active radar.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
the usaf intends for the b21 to be around for like 40 to 50 years with the upgrades. it's a big bomb (or missile truck) so sticking a bunch of next gen aam with extended range from the rotational pulse detonation motor in development shouldnt be difficult. something like the amraam with 200mile range could easily hold off an interceptor coming from below.

airborne lasers could easily be a mountable package in the bomb bay in 20 years.

Reactions: rommelrommel

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
the usaf intends for the b21 to be around for like 40 to 50 years with the upgrades. it's a big bomb (or missile truck) so sticking a bunch of next gen aam with extended range from the rotational pulse detonation motor in development shouldnt be difficult. something like the amraam with 200mile range could easily hold off an interceptor coming from below.

airborne lasers could easily be a mountable package in the bomb bay in 20 years.

It's more than a bomber. It's an information hub\surveillance platform\ECM platform.
Bombs\Missiles are only part of it's role.

Reactions: Pohemi and Zorba

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
The missile lighting up is far from miniscule. That's the event I'd be calibrating for.
Maybe build stealth cruise AA missiles? They could get away from the host aircraft a ways before going supersonic.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Today the USAF unveiled the latest stealth bomber, the B21 raider, at Edwards AFB. Notice how their reveal is only from the front just like when the B2 was rolled out. I wonder if they will actually fill their production quota with this procurement run.

I recall someone telling me once that views from the rear of planes like this are often too sensitive due to being able to (potentially) derive (some) performance characteristics.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I recall someone telling me once that views from the rear of planes like this are often too sensitive due to being able to (potentially) derive (some) performance characteristics.
I bet even the angles of the engine exhaust vent walls are classified. o_O

Reactions: hal2kilo

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
at least they got it right this time.

back when they revealed the b-2 there were a few mistakes:
  • held during daylight hours
  • pulled the plane fully out of hanger
  • didnt clear the airspace so an aviation journalist rented a plane and took direct top down photo showing the rear.
indexed
they also go over the performance specs math from the landing gear arrangement.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Heck, they went crazy when someone got a picture of the screw on a 688 with the shroud off at the Groton shipyard back in the mid 80's. After years of deployment and maintenance they finally gave up keeping them covered.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
I wonder if they found a way to dump out air to air missiles without compromising stealth?
I have thought about this before and if they put the bay door on top away from the most probable radar location, that might help. Since the bombs wouldn't no longer be gravity launched, you would need a launcher that would throw them up. Would take up space and weight though.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Latest stealth bomber to be revealed.

Makes you wonder what the actual stealth fleet of the US army is composed of since revealing this iteration must be "old" tech.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002

Makes you wonder what the actual stealth fleet of the US army is composed of since revealing this iteration must be "old" tech.

I doubt it. There may be an Aurora style stealth plane that there are a handful of, even that I dunno. The B2 program cost around 20 billion dollars at the time. That's a hell of a lot of spending to hide. In today's world it's just too hard to keep a plane you're using operationally totally unspotted.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

They just started working on this in about 2015. I got a nice raise at work after a ton of my coworkers quit to go work on it.

Reactions: Pens1566