USAF unveils the B21 Raider

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Today the USAF unveiled the latest stealth bomber, the B21 raider, at Edwards AFB. Notice how their reveal is only from the front just like when the B2 was rolled out. I wonder if they will actually fill their production quota with this procurement run.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
If they have actually hit the cost targets as well as they claim I do think we will see all of these made, or at least most. The B2, B1B/R, and at least some of the B52 can be retired.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
If they have actually hit the cost targets as well as they claim I do think we will see all of these made, or at least most. The B2, B1B/R, and at least some of the B52 can be retired.

I honestly wonder if the BUFFs will ever be fully retired.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I honestly wonder if the BUFFs will ever be fully retired.
If you can really buy these things for $550M a copy, I'm guessing they will eventually replace the BUFFs. To extend the B-52 past the 2050s it'll likely need to be re-winged. Which is possible but quite expensive.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
If you can really buy these things for $550M a copy, I'm guessing they will eventually replace the BUFFs. To extend the B-52 past the 2050s it'll likely need to be re-winged. Which is possible but quite expensive.
Some of the development costs have been paid for by other programs.

The engines are probably going to be the F-35's engines sans afterburner.
A lot of the subsystems are probably outgrowths of the F35 and drone programs we have out there.
Power generation is probably going to be through the roof it's going to be interesting to see the types of roles this thing can handle.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Some of the development costs have been paid for by other programs.

The engines are probably going to be the F-35's engines sans afterburner.
A lot of the subsystems are probably outgrowths of the F35 and drone programs we have out there.
Power generation is probably going to be through the roof it's going to be interesting to see the types of roles this thing can handle.
Yeah, that's how it should be. I also wish the government would speak more in marginal costs. What is the actual cost to produce the 25th copy, not the fully burdened cost. When the burden is 70% of the cost and sunk, you start making really poor decisions talking about it that way.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

They did finally decide to re-engine the B-52. Military version of the RR BR700 engine has been selected and I think is undergoing acceptance tests in the new engine pods. Certainly going to improve the gas mileage a lot and be less smokey lol.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Planned phase out is the 2050's...
Plane was designed in the 1950's

If the USSR didn't collapse, it probably would have been phased out in the 1990's.
Since the math works out on keeping it flying, we use the airframes.

Oh, I'm not questioning the decision at all. They've been a superb platform and adaptable as hell.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It's cool and all, but after watching the Ukraine smash Russia for under $100B, my value scale is tilted. We spent trillions getting ready to fight Russia over the decades.

Reactions: Leeea

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
It's cool and all, but after watching the Ukraine smash Russia for under $100B, my value scale is tilted. We spent trillions getting ready to fight Russia over the decades.
Kind of apples to oranges. The weapons we have provided to Ukraine are the result of far greater investments than just the manufacturing cost of each individual platform being given to the Ukrainians which is how the value of the aid is calculated.

Also Russia has badly neglected their military. We can’t plan defense budgets around assuming every other potential adversary is just as dumb and corrupt.

Reactions: Pohemi and Zorba

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Looks like it might have the new ceramic based stealth coating. Need someone to put together all of those opening shot into a more complete image of the Raider. Front view was what was pretty much expected. If we are planning on buying something like 100, I'd like to learn more about their ling range surface attack weapon capabilities.

Dec 10, 2005
The real question will be if they can sit outside and what their maintenance burden will be. One of the biggest issues with the B-2 is they are hangar queens and any repairs to the outside are very expensive.
I would blindly speculate that may have been taken into account when they talk about incorporating the learnings of past programs.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
What features does it have to be considered a next-gen bomber? Lower radar cross-section? I read it's smaller so it has longer range.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
What features does it have to be considered a next-gen bomber? Lower radar cross-section? I read it's smaller so it has longer range.

Since only the USA is building these a next gen bomber is basically what they say it is.

The revolutionary feature this allegedly brings to the table is unmanned capability. Aside from that most of what it brings is evolutionary, better and cheaper to maintain stealth coatings, they’re suggesting it has better range than the B2, probably a smaller radar cross section, possibly stealthier to things like IRST, there’s a suggestion it has some ability to engage enemy fighters although I don’t know how.