US unveils new $1.5 trillion bank bailout plan.

vhx

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2006
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7880969.stm
US Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has unveiled a comprehensive bank bail-out plan worth at least $1.5 trillion (£1.02 trillion).

Under the plan, the size of a key Federal Reserve lending program will be expanded to $1 trillion from $200bn.

In addition, a public-private investment fund of $500bn will be created to absorb banks' toxic assets and could be expanded to $1 trillion.

"Critical parts of our financial system are damaged," Mr Geithner said.

"Instead of catalyzing recovery, the financial system is working against recovery, and that's the dangerous dynamic we need to change," he added.

The new plan is aimed at restoring confidence in the damaged financial system and restarting bank lending.

The key question now is how eager the private sector will be to participate both in the new investment fund and the new Federal Reserve lending programme.

Meanwhile, the US Senate has backed an $838bn economic stimulus package which will now have to be reconciled with the House of Representatives version.

Doubts

Leading US stock indexes fell after Mr Geithner started his speech on the new plan, as many analysts expressed scepticism.

"It's not big enough. There are few details. The administration is trying to buy time and they don't get the fact that we need to get something yesterday," said Joseph LaVorgna, chief US economist at Deutsche Bank Securities in New York.

"Investors want clarity, simplicity, and resolution. This plan is seen as convoluted, obfuscating, and clouded," said James Ellman, Seacliff Capital president.

Others say that the plan is not perfect, but in general they agree with many of its proposals.

"I think the idea of more or less buying back some of the debt, monetizing it, is a good idea. I think that's probably a good move," said Carl Birkelbach, head of Birkelbach Management.

Transparency and accountability

Mr Geithner said the new plan should unfreeze the credit market, strengthen banks and "provide critical aid for homeowners and for small businesses".

"And as we do each of these things, we will impose new higher standards for transparency and accountability," he added.

He said that the public-private investment fund to buy up risky assets will be seeded with government money.

The expanded Federal Reserve lending program will support lending to small businesses and consumers, including credit card lending and student loans, and also cover the troubled commercial real estate market.

The government also will give banks access to additional capital from the Treasury's original $700bn bail-out fund "as a bridge to private capital".

But that will come with strict terms, including full disclosure and limits on executive pay.

"This assistance will come with terms that should encourage the institutions to replace public assistance with private capital as soon as that is possible," said Mr Geithner.

The government will also provide $50bn to try to soften the deep housing crisis, which has been having a negative impact on the economy.
Wahoo! /jumps and clicks heels.

Let's keep throwing money at it to fix our problems! What's a trillion every few months? This isn't even a plan, sounds more like delaying the inevitable. We'll need bailouts for the bailouts soon, and so on and so forth forever.

Also I smell bulls*** on the transparency (last bolded). I wonder if people will fall for the transparency bit a second time... LOL rhetorical... we all know the answer to that.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Why doesn't Geithner convene a meeting between himself and the CEO's of the 10-20 largest U.S. banks and get everyone on the same page. I don't think it matters how much cash you throw at the banks, they're simply not behaving in a coordinated manner to unfreeze this credit issue we're having.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
7 trillion last year, 3 trillion this year. Obama needs to step up the pace to match Bush?s spending on this.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Stop thinking and be scared already! If we don?t spend more money we are headed for a Economic Catastrophe! Doesn?t that scare you? I'll say cataclysmic if I have to!
Two million jobs! What? No, wait two and a half million? Huh? THREE MILLION JOBS! Dam it, this is our only chance to save FOUR MILLION JOBS! DO YOU WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSING A BILLION AMERICAN JOBS IN THE COMING MONTHS?!?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Back during the (1st) original fed bailout proposal to "buy" these toxic assets from banks many problems were identified (how to value etc); so are we to believe they have solved these?

I still don't understand why they don't correct the mark-to-market accounting rule problem that cause all this crap in the first place. The 'fix' to Enron type problems has killed our financial sector and economy. Enron itself didn't cause any where near this level of financial loss.

Fern

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
The core is rotten...no matter how it is wrapped...must rid the core...

Limit terms.
Hold people in power accountable (actually enforce checks and balances)
Restructure value system so people that hit a ball .323 out of a 1000 at bats do not make 5 million a year/ or a ghetto wrapper/or an idiot movie star....
Place a cap on campaign funding.

ahhh forget it ....people favor their 5 dollar cups of coffee and shiny cell phones too much...

the sheeple outweigh those who actually care and are ready to move to take action.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: woodie1
Looking at Wall Street index closing prices they must love this.

The people are buying what Obama and Geithner are selling but Wall Street isn't.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Chunkee
The core is rotten...no matter how it is wrapped...must rid the core...

Limit terms.
Hold people in power accountable (actually enforce checks and balances)
Restructure value system so people that hit a ball .323 out of a 1000 at bats do not make 5 million a year/ or a ghetto wrapper/or an idiot movie star....
Place a cap on campaign funding.

ahhh forget it ....people favor their 5 dollar cups of coffee and shiny cell phones too much...

the sheeple outweigh those who actually care and are ready to move to take action.

Wow, that's gotta be one of the most incoherent things I've ever seen posted.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
predictable... from the moment the very first bailout was conceived, the avalanche of never-ending lifelines was inevitable.

sad that...

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This shit keeps getting funnier.

Let me guess, Bush's bailout was bad, but this one will be good?

Let the partisan hackery commence.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
I'm just guessing - but like the man said: "It's not big enough."

There is $60+ trillion in all these fancy financial instruments. Let's just guess and say as much as 3% may be 'tainted'. So you say, "Mmmm. 3% is not so bad."

But where, oh where, might that 3% be hiding in a 'sliced and diced' bundle of securities?

Some folks are going to make a lot of money on this - and some are going to lose their arse.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Are they out of their freaking minds!

They already have a trillion dollar (including interest) stimulus package they are about to put on the taxpayers tab now they want and another obscene bail out tacked on the taxpayers back!

For that kind of money they could just pay off everyone?s mortgage and let what the people were spending on their mortgage payments become the economic stimulus.

This is getting way past ridiculous; it is in the land of insane now.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Socio
Are they out of their freaking minds!

They already have a trillion dollar (including interest) stimulus package they are about to put on the taxpayers tab now they want and another obscene bail out tacked on the taxpayers back!

For that kind of money they could just pay off everyone?s mortgage and let what the people were spending on their mortgage payments become the economic stimulus.

This is getting way past ridiculous; it is in the land of insane now.

Exactly. Just follow the money; there's a group getting rich off this money. And it sure ain't you and me. What do think the corporate kickbacks to politicians are on a multi-trillion dollar deal?

jamesall

Apr 29, 2008
I'm just worry about postbailout when there is a substantial inflation due Barak's bailout plan. We're F**K!

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
The CEOs and others at the banks should be happy. More tax payer money to pay for bonuses and 5 star luxury retreats. All this will only bankrupt the tax payers and screw over anyone under 40 who is has been paying for SS that won't be there.

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Why doesn't Geithner convene a meeting between himself and the CEO's of the 10-20 largest U.S. banks and get everyone on the same page. I don't think it matters how much cash you throw at the banks, they're simply not behaving in a coordinated manner to unfreeze this credit issue we're having.
:Q Not a bad idea. It has worked before.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jamesall
I'm just worry about postbailout when there is a substantial inflation due Barak's bailout plan. We're F**K!

Better spend that money now!!