US troops allegedly fire on crowd 10 dead

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

"Three witnesses questioned by AFP and casualties who spoke to hospital staff said US troops had fired on the crowd which was becoming increasingly hostile towards the city's new governor, Mashaan al-Juburi, as he was making a pro-US speech. "

Wow. Is this really democracy? Putting in a puppet governor and then shooting at the crowd when they become hostile? It's obvious that they don't want us there.

Link

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Yes, this is democracy. We'll make sure they get freedom, even if we have to shove it down their throats.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I've noticed that going out of your way to help someone usually opens up a whole can of worms. Usually it's just easier to ignore their problems.

We should stay out of those countries and let their people suffer. That way they can't blame us when things go wrong.

Just ignore them and let them deal with their own problems, with their own money.

Jani

Dec 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Marshallj
I've noticed that going out of your way to help someone usually opens up a whole can of worms. Usually it's just easier to ignore their problems.

We should stay out of those countries and let their people suffer. That way they can't blame us when things go wrong.

Just ignore them and let them deal with their own problems, with their own money.

Couldn't agree more. When there's enough suffering local people will start revolting. Apparently situation wasn't so bad in Iraq.

Helenihi

Dec 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Jani

Couldn't agree more. When there's enough suffering local people will start revolting. Apparently situation wasn't so bad in Iraq.

Yeah, like how the jews revolted and removed Hitler. Or was the holocaust not that bad? I'm confused.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

Uh huh...and how were these people going to rise up? Were they going to do it with sticks and rocks against an army armed with modern weapons. Sure the U.S. Army made quick work of the Iraqi Army, but that wouldn't happen if it were the Iraqi people going up against the Iraqi Army. Looked at what happened after the Gulf War when some in the population tried to rise up. They were slaughtered mercilessly.

Maybe U.S. soldiers opened up on a crowd and killed tem people, maybe they didn't. If they did then it is regrettable unless the troops had cause to do so. Remember those guys have been over there doing some pretty intense fighting as well as having to dodge taxi drivers, etc? intent on blowing themselves and the troops up. A crowd is getting together, acting up, possibly becoming violent. Tell me Braveheart? What would you do? If there were some shooting then I would bet the soldiers felt threatened and fired only as a last resort. American Armed forces don't have a habit of just killing civilians because they can.

Next time try to think about the situation before you start talking out of your ass.

Conky

Lifer
May 9, 2001
AFP = Agence France-Presse

Nice source for unbiased news.
rolleye.gif

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Not good news at all if true. I'd like to see more details and verification though. There's too much "alleged" commentary in this news report without any real eyewitness statements. It seems to be made of second or third hand information.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Crazyfool
AFP = Agence France-Presse

Nice source for unbiased news.
rolleye.gif

ok then from now on all news sources from either france or the US will be dismissed because they are objective, sound good to you?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wow. Is this really democracy? Putting in a puppet governor and then shooting at the crowd when they become hostile? It's obvious that they don't want us there.
Um, 10 protestors don't equate to a majority. The majority of Iraqi citizens want us there. Until the ratios change, we're not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks for another "Leftist" post, Barney.
rolleye.gif

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
And for a different perspective:
US forces said they fired back after being shot at, but did not aim at the crowd during the incident.

"There were protesters outside, 100 to 150, there was fire, we returned fire," a US military spokesman told AFP.

The shots came from a roof opposite the building, about 75 metres away, he said.

"We didn't fire at the crowd, but at the top of the building," the spokesman added.

"There were at least two gunmen, I don't know if they were killed.

"The firing was not intensive but sporadic, and lasted up to two minutes."
Don't know why this was left out of the Yahoo story as they both are using the AFP report.
Link to Sky News report

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
"Three witnesses questioned by AFP and casualties who spoke to hospital staff said US troops had fired on the crowd which was becoming increasingly hostile towards the city's new governor, Mashaan al-Juburi, as he was making a pro-US speech. "

Link

Well its been several hours barney, Other than that link I have eyt to hear anything about the american imperialist dogs slaughtering the iraqi who dared not listen to the puppet mayor.

Vincent Brooks told a press briefing he had seen no military reports of the incident and could not confirm it.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003

I agree, I mean this story must be true b/c "allegedly" it happened. We should just close our borders and worry about the US only. Forget the rest of the world everyone is now on their own. "Oh, you have a huge famine or outbreak of disease, we're sorry, we only worry about ourselves now, didn't you get the memo?" Allegedly BarneyFife was seen trying to stir up a flame war b/c he had no truth to his statements. Witnesses say, "It was an ugly scene, the anti-war and pro-war posters were becoming increasing hostile towards each other and BarneyFife was just typing away with little or no regard to anyone else, the horror", another witness exclaimed, "He's done it before and he'll do it again I'm sure, when will it end?".....alledgedly

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Allegedly, by the Iraqi Misinformation Minister we weren't in Baghdad and we were killing ourselves at it's gates...

Allegedly, we found weapons of mass destruction on numerous occasions

Allegedly, Andy called and he wants his bullet back...

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Helenihi

Yeah, like how the jews revolted and removed Hitler. Or was the holocaust not that bad? I'm confused.
Wow. That was the best case of utter ownage I've ever seen on the Intarweb. Congrats. :D

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: BarneyFife

Link

"US troops guarding the governor said they opened fire after gunmen on an opposite roof began shooting.

"We didn't fire at the crowd, but at the top of the building," said a US military spokesman.

At US Central Command in Qatar, Navy Commander Charles Owens said: "We're investigating, all we can say now is that we did not shoot into a crowd."

They want us there, did you miss the crowds cheering and welcoming our forces?

The people of Iraq will choose their own govt figures as soon as possible, but someone needs to hold things together until then.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
double post....

Jani puts me on his iggy list because thats the only way he can justify not having answers to questions. I love all the US bashing, hey guys, FvCK you already......

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
"We didn't fire at the crowd, but at the top of the building," the spokesman added."
"There were at least two gunmen, I don't know if they were killed."

The self-righteous indignation bandwagon seems to have disappeared since this was posted.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Alistar7
double post....

Jani puts me on his iggy list because thats the only way he can justify not having answers to questions. I love all the US bashing, hey guys, FvCK you already......

lol, reminds me of the anti-war peeps in the ProtestWarrior video I watched yesterday. Boy did they do a good job justifying their position and proving the pro-war people wrong, and they did it in a mature manner (no personal assaults) to boot!
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Anti-War "You don't listen so just get the fnck out of here..."
Pro-War "Well we're trying to listen"
Anti-War "I don't care just get the fnck out of here"

HAHA that video kills me