US to let Turkish forces move into Syria, abandoning Kurdish allies

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
He also said Mexico will pay for the wall and that trade wars are easy to win.

Wasn't he going lock her up, repeal and replace then reunify Korea as well? For a guy that promised winning he sure seems like a let down. Anyone still on team trump at this point must be extremely gullible.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
If anyone needs to learn how to be pro war and brush up on pro war advocacy in general you can find it in posts from the progressives in this thread. And also from many on the left and right in the U.S. So now if you want to find out about peace and anti war movements in America I guess you have to look hard for fringe groups.

I know it's to keep ISIS from making a comeback but please consider if we (the U.S.) would not have expanded beyond Afghanistan then there never would have been an ISIS. Meaning if we never invaded Iraq in 2003 then ISIS would not have formed. Should be interesting seeing progressives try to defeat that argument today.

And I was against the Iraq war. Still against it and was happy to see Obama make the army exit. Although I was a bit surprised he didn't leave in 4-5k troops as general security which he could have withdrawn over time.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
And I was against the Iraq war. Still against it and was happy to see Obama make the army exit. Although I was a bit surprised he didn't leave in 4-5k troops as general security which he could have withdrawn over time.

That exit is why / how ISIS swept through Mosul overnight. No one competent was there to defend it. And half of Iraq fell to terrorist anarchy shortly thereafter.

It was wrong to invade Iraq. It was wrong to abandon Iraq to ISIS. And it is wrong to abandon the Kurds now. But all three action(s) are now complete. There is no taking them back. We can only learn the lesson(s) and move forward. Syria is once more unified behind Assad now. We must respect their territory.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
If anyone needs to learn how to be pro war and brush up on pro war advocacy in general you can find it in posts from the progressives in this thread. And also from many on the left and right in the U.S. So now if you want to find out about peace and anti war movements in America I guess you have to look hard for fringe groups.

I know it's to keep ISIS from making a comeback but please consider if we (the U.S.) would not have expanded beyond Afghanistan then there never would have been an ISIS. Meaning if we never invaded Iraq in 2003 then ISIS would not have formed. Should be interesting seeing progressives try to defeat that argument today.

But then saddam would still have his WOMD.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
We should have never been there at all.
Why? Should the US not protect its interests abroad? Do you honestly believe that it is NOT in our interest to intervene in the Middle East? Do you think we've been doing it for years out of the kindness of our hearts?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That exit is why / how ISIS swept through Mosul overnight. No one competent was there to defend it. And half of Iraq fell to terrorist anarchy shortly thereafter.

It was wrong to invade Iraq. It was wrong to abandon Iraq to ISIS. And it is wrong to abandon the Kurds now. But all three action(s) are now complete. There is no taking them back. We can only learn the lesson(s) and move forward. Syria is once more unified behind Assad now. We must respect their territory.

Excuse me, but US withdrawal from Iraq occurred in 2011 under an agreement with Iraq made by the Bush Admin some years before. The ISIS uprising didn't occur until 2014. Nobody knows the future.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Why? Should the US not protect its interests abroad? Do you honestly believe that it is NOT in our interest to intervene in the Middle East? Do you think we've been doing it for years out of the kindness of our hearts?

We have no interest in Syria. They can sort out their own demons.

The middle east has been a war torn region for centuries. We cannot fix it.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
So this oil field thing, seems kind of difficult for the progressives to defend U.S. troops protecting oil in Syria. Remember the "it's the oil" used against the Repubs in past U.S. wars in the middle east? So now if progressives defend it then it would appear to be hypocritical. I know, I know you can just say having our troops at the oil fields will help deter ISIS while you brush the oil issue to the back somewhere.

Perhaps progressives will start saying ISIS was partly responsible for 9/11. Did I just make an attack against progressives? I mean like a personal attack. But an ad hominem attack is against an individual. So I can't get in trouble because you can't be banned for verbally attacking a policy or large group. It has to be a verbal attack on an individual. Or can I get in trouble? What if the rules are being changed so that the term progressives is really a person in this forum? If so then I could sent packing for three days or maybe even for life.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11
Nov 25, 2013
So this oil field thing, seems kind of difficult for the progressives to defend U.S. troops protecting oil in Syria. Remember the "it's the oil" used against the Repubs in past U.S. wars in the middle east? So now if progressives defend it then it would appear to be hypocritical. I know, I know you can just say having our troops at the oil fields will help deter ISIS while you brush the oil issue to the back somewhere.

Perhaps progressives will start saying ISIS was partly responsible for 9/11. Did I just make an attack against progressives? I mean like a personal attack. But an ad hominem attack is against an individual. So I can't get in trouble because you can't be banned for verbally attacking a policy or large group. It has to be a verbal attack on an individual. Or can I get in trouble? What if the rules are being changed so that the term progressives is really a person in this forum? If so then I could sent packing for three days or maybe even for life.

Have absolutely no idea as to what the above is supposed to mean but please, feel free to explain why "progressives", or anyone else, would make an argument that Daesh "was partly responsible for 9/11" given that the group did not exist at the time in question.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nope, I don't vote for idiots. Do you recall who got us into Iraq?

Riiiight. You Never vote for Idiots.....

Who? It was a lot more than just one Who. I know you want to blame the entire mess on GWB, but he was FAR from being alone.

House Democrat Vote:

Nay - 127
Yea - 81
Not voting - 1

House Republican Vote:

Nay - 6
Yea - 215
Not voting - 2

215 (96.4%) of 223 Republican Representatives voted for the resolution.

House Independent Vote

Nay - 1

Senate Democrat Vote:
Yea - 29
Nay - 21

(58%) of 50 Democratic senators voted for the resolution.

Senate Republican Vote:

Yea -- 48
Nay - 1

Senate Independant Vote:

Nay - 1

** and lets not forget about the crappy intelligence reports that supported the vote.

Last edited:

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
We have no interest in Syria. They can sort out their own demons.

The middle east has been a war torn region for centuries. We cannot fix it.
You think out goal is to "fix" the middle east?

No interest in Syria?.. lol

Ignorance is cool, I guess.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Who? It was a lot more than just one Who. I know you want to blame the entire mess on GWB, but he was FAR from being alone.

House Democrat Vote:

Nay - 127
Yea - 81
Not voting - 1

House Republican Vote:

Nay - 6
Yea - 215
Not voting - 2

House Independent Vote

Nay - 1

Senate Democrat Vote:
Yea - 29
Nay - 21

Senate Republican Vote:

Yea -- 48
Nay - 1

Senate Independant Vote:

Nay - 1

** and lets not forget about the crappy intelligence reports that supported the vote.

The Bush Admin led the charge. Otherwise the invasion of Iraq wouldn't have happened. 9/11 was the greatest political windfall since Pearl Harbor. They fashioned into a club against all enemies, foreign & domestic. The propaganda was of the highest order. There were Terrarists! under every rock & the Terrar! color wheel spun madly. 9/11-Osama-Saddam-Terrar-WMD's- reconstituted nuclear program & all the rest was just one big word.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Under what fucking delusion do you think progressives or the left ever supported the nonsense war In Iraq? Were you even alive at that time?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

House Democrat Vote:

Nay - 127
Yea - 81
Not voting - 1

House Republican Vote:

Nay - 6
Yea - 215
Not voting - 2

House Independent Vote

Nay - 1

Senate Democrat Vote:
Yea - 29
Nay - 21

Senate Republican Vote:

Yea -- 48
Nay - 1

Senate Independant Vote:

Nay - 1

Oh, this tired and pathetic canard....but I like that you continue to post visual evidence that, for a very long time, The Democratic party has been very much right of center, unlike when you all try to argue that they are ultra liberal commie snowflakes.

I mean, the voting record is the voting record, right?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017

House Democrat Vote:

Nay - 127
Yea - 81
Not voting - 1

House Republican Vote:

Nay - 6
Yea - 215
Not voting - 2

House Independent Vote

Nay - 1

Senate Democrat Vote:
Yea - 29
Nay - 21

Senate Republican Vote:

Yea -- 48
Nay - 1

Senate Independant Vote:

Nay - 1

Actually it was most likely Cheney calling the shots and the driving force.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Oh, this tired and pathetic canard....but I like that you continue to post visual evidence that, for a very long time, The Democratic party has been very much right of center, unlike when you all try to argue that they are ultra liberal commie snowflakes.

I mean, the voting record is the voting record, right?

You all.... LOL

I don't remember ever saying that all lefties are ultra liberal commie snowflakes. Even though a good number of them are.

Nothing is all inclusive as you like to try and make the righties seem.

Meh.