US to let Turkish forces move into Syria, abandoning Kurdish allies

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
We should have never been there at all.

But the US has been involved in the region for a long, long time. If you had a time machine you might well want to undo that, but you'd have to go back quite a long way, long before the presence of these specific troops.

Disentangling from something you've been entangled with for a long time, needs to be done very carefully, with preparation and thought. Britain failed to do that in India and the result wasn't pretty.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
But the US has been involved in the region for a long, long time. If you had a time machine you might well want to undo that, but you'd have to go back quite a long way, long before the presence of these specific troops.

Disentangling from something you've been entangled with for a long time, needs to be done very carefully, with preparation and thought. Britain failed to do that in India and the result wasn't pretty.

I understand what you are saying and I agree it should have been planned better.

We need to start somewhere, May as well start here and now.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I understand what you are saying and I agree it should have been planned better.

Ditching our friends so they get killed is a great start and an awesome move for ensuring America retains influence in the world.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
So now Iraq is saying who gave your permission to come into Iraq? We did not. How can you come into our country, crossing our border without permission

Foreign Interference, Russian Bot network.

while we saunter into a country with weapons and fully loaded humvees.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Updates

10/21

The Syrian Army has surrounded the Turkish one in the border town of Ras al-Ain in north Syria, where Ankara has launched a military operation, and the Turkish forces are soon to withdraw from that area, member of the Syrian parliament, Jansit Kazan, said on Sunday.

Earlier in the day, the Syrian state-run broadcaster said that the Turkish troops entered Ras al-Ain after the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) had left it. Shortly after, the SDF and Ankara confirmed the report.

Comparison of Frontlines between 10/09 and 10/22

1571754657769.png

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

EHf6XJwWkAEGobt.jpg:large

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009

Cut and run is not a plan. It's surrender.

Then again, given the U.S. is very experienced in cut-and-run....see Vietnam, for instance.....I guess it's not surprising.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Dear Kurds: Everybody be fuckin' you now, bitches! Squeal if you want. It's music to the ears.

Meanwhile, US forces pull back far enough to protect the oil. You know, the thing it never was about.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
People are saying that before they even heard about it, lol. Trump wants to take credit for an agreement of peace to a war that he created via tweet. How many lives were lost here? Not to mention Russia capitalizing on the situation. And the thing we gave up for this agreement? All our economic sanctions. So no consequences for Erdogan's offensive whatsoever. Only benefit to him and Putin.

Hey Mr. serial killer whose sentence I decided to commute. We'll drop the charges if you agree not to kill any more people kthxbye.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
[Farnsworth]Great News everyone! We have managed to pull a few of our troops out of Syria and only some of our allies were murdered by our other allies while we did so! We also managed to give the territory our solders fought to protect to the Russians![/Farnsworth]

I wonder if an animated character could be the official Whitehouse Spokesperson?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The Iraqis have invited the US troops who retreated from Syria to keep on moving, right out of their country-

Dunno how they intend to support troops in Syria to secure the oil. Not that it was ever about the oil, of course.

cirrrocco

Golden Member
Sep 7, 2004
Nice news for a change

Iraqi Kurds turn to Zoroastrianism as faith, identity entwine

ears of violence by the Islamic State jihadist group have left many disillusioned with Islam, while a much longer history of state oppression has pushed some in Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region to see the millennia-old religion as a way of reasserting their identity.

"After Kurds witnessed the brutality of IS, many started to rethink their faith," said Asrawan Qadrok, the faith's top priest in Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region.

During Fuad's conversion ritual in Darbandikhan, near the Iranian border, a high priest and his assistants wore white clothes representing purity and recited verses from the Zoroastrian holy book, the Avesta.

They knotted a cord three times around Fuad's waist to symbolise the faith's core values of good words, good thoughts and good deeds.

The newcomer raised her hand and swore to abide by those three values and to protect nature, respecting water, air, fire, earth, animals and humans.

"I feel very happy and refreshed," Fuad said, adorned with her Farawahar necklace, a powerful spiritual symbol given to her by the high priest.

She said she had been studying Zoroastrianism for a long time and was drawn to its philosophy, which "makes life easy".

"It is all about wisdom and philosophy. It serves mankind and nature," she said.

The religion only gained official recognition by regional authorities in 2015, but since then, three new temples have opened -- although Tayib said the state has yet to build a cemetery for followers of the religion.

For some in the autonomous region, which overwhelmingly voted for independence in a 2017 referendum bid, turning to Zoroastrianism is a way for a stateless people to assert regional identity in defiance of Baghdad.

Tayib, the only female religious representative in the autonomous government, said Kurdish society is becoming more tolerant towards Zoroastrians.

AFP accompanied the high priest and his assistants to Islamic Friday prayers organised to condemn a Turkish military incursion into Kurdish parts of northern Syria.

As the Zoroastrian religious men arrived, they were surrounded by Muslims welcoming them and asking for selfies.

Islam is still by far the main religion in the Iraqi Kurdistan, while there are no official figures on Zoroastrians.

It's good that a previously diminished religion is springing forth and hopefully builds up. These toxic desert cults have inflicted so much pain and suffering on the world.

Nov 25, 2013
Nice news for a change

Iraqi Kurds turn to Zoroastrianism as faith, identity entwine

It's good that a previously diminished religion is springing forth and hopefully builds up. These toxic desert cults have inflicted so much pain and suffering on the world.

Not new news for the area and it seems to have more to do with the ongoing stuggle of Kurds in establishing an accepted distinct national/ethnic identity than anything else.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Not new news for the area and it seems to have more to do with the ongoing stuggle of Kurds in establishing an accepted distinct national/ethnic identity than anything else.

The Kurds and Assyrians were both Zoroastrianism practitioners in the days of the Assyrian Empire before they turned to Islam and Christianity respectively, It makes sense for them to want to turn away from the religion that has caused them so much grief and turn to their former religion.

Reactions: cirrrocco
Nov 25, 2013
The Kurds and Assyrians were both Zoroastrianism practitioners in the days of the Assyrian Empire before they turned to Islam and Christianity respectively, It makes sense for them to want to turn away from the religion that has caused them so much grief and turn to their former religion.

That fits with what I've read along with the conscious effort to tie it to a specific Kurdish 'identity'. Seriously, these folks were so screwed by the European colonial carving up of the mid east . They really should have their own country.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
That fits with what I've read along with the conscious effort to tie it to a specific Kurdish 'identity'. Seriously, these folks were so screwed by the European colonial carving up of the mid east . They really should have their own country.

I agree completely that they need their own country.

As an aside, I was a high ranking warrior in the Assyrian Empire in a former life which is why I know so much about it.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Oric

Oct 11, 1999
A good video to watch, explaining Turkey's current position with accurate history (This guy is good!)