US to let Turkish forces move into Syria, abandoning Kurdish allies

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The US media (and many posters in this forum) are hysterically screaming about how their Kurdish allies have been betrayed by Trump and Turkey should be severely punished with economic sanctions, tariffs and other ways.

It is highly disappointing but as I know that Trump is a hate figure for obvious reasons, I don't blame anyone on the subject. Let’s clarify some facts that you don’t want to understand again.

1. Turkey is not invading Syria! Turkey started this operation in order to build a buffer zone due to the existence of the PKK & ISIS -DAES terrorist elements in the region. We will possibly come to terms with Essad or relocate some of the 4 million Syrians in Turkey by building cities and infrastucture in the region. If you are willing to host a few million Syrians for our behalf, you are welcome.

2. Turkey has been warning US, NATO, Russia and all EU countries who are ALWAYS ignorant about terrorist attacks of the PKK-YPG, which created more than 40,000 deaths and misery in our families over the last 40 years.

3. Yes,Turkey is the invader country who welcomed more than 4 million Syrian refugees and is keeping them safely in our country while the REST OF THE WORLD has been shamefully ignoring and neglecting them. We all love the humanitarian values of West a lot.

4. Same so-called invader Turkey is such a vicious country against the Kurds, who opened her borders on March 16, 1988 in Northern Iraq when Saddam Hussein slaughtered almost 50,000 Kurds with chemical weapons. Nearly 1,2 millions Kurds crossed Turkish borders and Turkey called for international humanitarian aid and the response of the Western world was heartbreaking and great deal of embarrassment!

5. You call the PKK-YPG militants as heroes and allies, but never asked this important question: Have they cleared-out ISIS-DEAS yet.
The answer is absolutely NOT! Still more than 70,000 ISIS-DEAS operatives are all around Northern Syria and part of Northern Iraq.
President Obama (maybe domestically he was perfect ) unfortunately ruined the balance of Middle East by ignoring Turkey and using the PKK (which is officially considered a terrorist organization by the US Senate 🤣) as a leverage tool, thanks Barrack 👊🏻!

Yet let's say Kurds helped you clear out ISIS, they did you a favor, what has Turkey been doing since the Korean war ? You sell out your old buddy for the new guy in town ? What is this ungrateful hostility ?

6. Erdogan is a dictator bla bla bla .. Well, having never and will never vote for the guy, all I can say is he is a funny kind of dictator who can lose elections and end his term around 2023. He is sitting in Ankara because he was elected democratically with 86% voter turn out elections. He is not a perfect symbol of democracy but worse examples seem to be OK for you.

I can appreciate there be different perspectives, especially on orthogonal axes, however you did not decry Americas cooperation with Kurds while ISIS was running rampant, from the outside it looks alot like tid for tad Turks vs. Kurds.
What I am suggesting is that we should have relocated the Kurds to some where, preferable not adjacent to Turkish borders.
The call from Erdogan "We gonna roll on your allies, move out the way b*ch" and sumbitting to that demand is probably not the finest moment in diplomatic history?
Also I guess your major gripe now is with Assad and Russia right? Since they are protecting the Kurds now? Gonna shell some Russia camps next?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Which is what you have to believe to believe in Trump. He does that to people, inspires them to lie for him, even when they don't realize that's what they're doing.

Well, You are certainly welcome to Your Opinion. Neither of us knows what took place in the phone call.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Absolutely not but all the military and foreign policy experts seems to agree that this was a horrible move by trump. Got any links that back up you position?

Links that back up my opinion?

I agree that it wasn't planned very well and took place way too fast.

We should have never been there to begin with and getting out is the right thing to do. We don't need to be in the middle of every squabble in the ME.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The layered lies & deceptions are remarkable. Erdogan says he wants to resettle Syrian refugees into a 30 mile buffer zone along the border. People actually from other parts of Syria. They head the "pro-Turkish forces" already committing atrocities against the native Kurds who'll obviously flee in droves, trading one refugee problem for another. That's after a lot of blood, of course, because the Kurds don't really have anywhere to go, so they have to fight. The 5 day ceasefire so that the Kurds can move out is a farce. Syrian forces are racing to reinforce the Kurds & integrate them into the command structure so they can all defend against the Turks together. The YPG ceases to exist in its current form. Erdogan will have to escalate a lot to win. He'll also face a variety of sanctions likely to endure long after the conflict ends. I doubt that he will. Dunno that it's as Trump intended, but Erdogan is getting played at this point. If it all fizzles out, Assad looks to be the clear winner.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
The layered lies & deceptions are remarkable. Erdogan says he wants to resettle Syrian refugees into a 30 mile buffer zone along the border. People actually from other parts of Syria. They head the "pro-Turkish forces" already committing atrocities against the native Kurds who'll obviously flee in droves, trading one refugee problem for another. That's after a lot of blood, of course, because the Kurds don't really have anywhere to go, so they have to fight. The 5 day ceasefire so that the Kurds can move out is a farce. Syrian forces are racing to reinforce the Kurds & integrate them into the command structure so they can all defend against the Turks together. The YPG ceases to exist in its current form. Erdogan will have to escalate a lot to win. He'll also face a variety of sanctions likely to endure long after the conflict ends. I doubt that he will. Dunno that it's as Trump intended, but Erdogan is getting played at this point. If it all fizzles out, Assad looks to be the clear winner.

it is truly amazing that Trump managed to turn our allies who helped defeat the ISIS caliphate into Assad's allies.

don't forget Putin also benefits from this, Assad wouldn't be President without him.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
So you think if trump didn't give his blessing and agree to pull our troops, Turkey would have attacked Kurds with embedded US troops?

Yea I do. The speed of which this happened is stunning. There's videos of abandon U.S. bases still full of personal stuff, like they only just had enough time to get the important stuff out and that was it. I think they didn't really like the idea of potentially engaging with American forces, and they were either counting on Trump folding or somehow convinced him this was in his best interests.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Yea I do. The speed of which this happened is stunning. There's videos of abandon U.S. bases still full of personal stuff, like they only just had enough time to get the important stuff out and that was it. I think they didn't really like the idea of potentially engaging with American forces, and they were either counting on Trump folding or somehow convinced him this was in his best interests.

Funny how the pics & vids of abandoned US outposts are from Syrian & Russian forces rather than the Turks. Their new Kurdish friends let them roll right in as we rolled out.

The whole notion that the Turks would attack US forces is bullshit, cover for Trump dishonorably abandoning our former Kurdish allies.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Links that back up my opinion?

I agree that it wasn't planned very well and took place way too fast.

We should have never been there to begin with and getting out is the right thing to do. We don't need to be in the middle of every squabble in the ME.
Do you even know why US troops were there? It was not to be in the "middle of a squabble", but to lend support to the Kurds in the battle to defeat ISIS, to which Trump took credit for a few months ago. You mean you have no issue with ISIS still being around conducting terror attacks that may target the US and its people?

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump doesn't know his Secretary of Defense's name. (Bolding mine). Quoted because it will probably be deleted.

"Mark Esperanto, Secretary of Defense, “The ceasefire is holding up very nicely. There are some minor skirmishes that have ended quickly. New areas being resettled with the Kurds.” USA soldiers are not in combat or ceasefire zones. We have secured the Oil. Bringing soldiers home!"

“We have secured the Oil. Bringing the soldiers home!”

Lol..WTF!

The precious, precious oil will be pumped into five gallon cans and each soldier will be required to carry one in each hand as they return to the U.S.

Trump is learning from Putin and other strongmen. Everyone in the room knows what he's saying is total bullshit - that's not the point. The point is he's telling his antagonists that truth doesn't matter, that truth is whatever he says it is. He's changing the political culture in this country with each new lie that he Tells.There may be a point at which the political culture becomes so toxic and the damage to the institutions so extensive that it may be almost irreversible.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Loser Donald:
"Susan Rice, who was a disaster to President Obama as National Security Advisor, is now telling us her opinion on what to do in Syria. Remember RED LINE IN THE SAND? That was Obama. Millions killed! No thanks Susan, you were a disaster."
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...89914470473729

LOL!...Millions killed?!?

Susan Rice, in response:
"Then why did you come up and hug me at 2015 WHCD when I’d never met you (which was totally gross) and whisper in my ear that I had been “very unfairly treated” over Benghazi and “was doing a great job for the country”?"
https://twitter.com/AmbassadorRice/s...94028612706304

It's simple Susan....That was when he thought he had a chance of fucking you. It's been blatant for years that Loser Donald sees women as sex toys first and people second. That's why his favorite insult for women who stand up to him is "nasty", because his idea of a woman's worth to him is tied intrinsically to her attractiveness and her willingness to either think he is attractive or willingness to have sex with him. It's the root of the way he sexualizes his daughters - he has the best genes, so therefore they must be the sexiest women alive.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Well we're going to bring those soldiers home, which apparently is in Iraq as that's where the Pentagon says they are going.

Another promise kept /s

Reactions: Aegeon

LightPattern

Feb 18, 2013
For those keeping track of #s of troops just heard on CBSN (& backed by WSJ) the WH is floating the idea of ~200 troops in Syria to keep the oil fields secured and a few along the boarder with Israel.

Keep oil fields in Kurdish hands I hope, rather than just out of Russian hands which is probably more to the point.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
For those keeping track of #s of troops just heard on CBSN (& backed by WSJ) the WH is floating the idea of ~200 troops in Syria to keep the oil fields secured and a few along the boarder with Israel.

Keep oil fields in Kurdish hands I hope, rather than just out of Russian hands which is probably more to the point.
What happens when a Syrian/Kurdish convoy shows up to take possession of what is rightfully theirs?

I can see protecting it until they show up for an agreed upon transfer but holding it against their wishes is another matter entirely. Having betrayed the Kurds our presence can no longer be justified.

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
Well we're going to bring those soldiers home, which apparently is in Iraq as that's where the Pentagon says they are going.

Another promise kept /s

This can't be true, the Great Pumpkin told us the troops were coming home to the United States, the Pentagon must be lying.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Looks like Dump just reversed his scatterbrained self, again

President Donald Trump said Monday that a "small" number of U.S. troops will remain in Syria amid blistering criticism from lawmakers in both parties who have denounced his previous decision to withdraw American forces.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005

Another promise kept /s

And what will they be doing there??? Running anti ISIS operations, so not coming home anytime soon. And I would assume without a lot of Kurdish cooperation considering the fucking over we just gave them so their job just got exponentially harder.

Needless to say the Kurds weren't too happy to see our convoys retreating withdrawing from NE Syria.

Kurdish civilians pelt US convoy with rotten vegetables

And you've gotta love this line about troops not going home right away:

When asked about Trump's claims that the troops were coming home, Esper told reporters, "Well, they will eventually."

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I was watching an old WW2 documentary yesterday and they were singing that song praise the lord and pass the ammunition and I nearly fell down laughing.
Honestly, it was stolen from a Firesign Theatre skit. It just seemed fitting.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Do you even know why US troops were there? It was not to be in the "middle of a squabble", but to lend support to the Kurds in the battle to defeat ISIS, to which Trump took credit for a few months ago. You mean you have no issue with ISIS still being around conducting terror attacks that may target the US and its people?

We should have never been there at all.