US to let Turkish forces move into Syria, abandoning Kurdish allies

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
We cover that in our history classes. French aid in our revolution gets a solid two sentences. :p

The modern American antipathy toward the French never made any sense to me. The US and France have been consistent allies from day one, far longer than we've been allies with the UK. Really the only time the French and Americans were in disagreement was during the Suez Crisis and the French came around fairly quickly (when the US threatened to destroy the French monetary system :p ).

I’ve always loved to make fun of French dudes because it’s funny. Deep down I know we’re bros and never going to let something bad happen to the other.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
A shameful moment for America. If we don't want to get involved in new conflicts, that's fine, but we are betraying our allies and leaving them to die after getting them to remove their defenses as part of security arrangement with Turkey. This is not being a bystander, this is stabbing your friend in the back.

On Fox News today:
---
A member of U.S. Special Forces serving alongside the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Syria told Fox News on Wednesday they were witnessing Turkish atrocities on the frontlines.

“I am ashamed for the first time in my career,” said the distraught soldier, who has been involved in the training of indigenous forces on multiple continents. The hardened service member is among the 1,000 or so U.S. troops who remain in Syria.

“Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It’s horrible,” the military source on the ground said. “We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement [with the Turks]. There was no threat to the Turks -- none -- from this side of the border."
“This is insanity,” the concerned U.S. service member said. "I don’t know what they call atrocities, but they are happening.”
The Special Forces member said the Kurds have not left their positions guarding detainees. In fact, “they prevented a prison break last night without us," the military source on the front line said. “They are not abandoning our side [yet]."

"The Turks are hitting outside the security mechanism," according to the source, who said the Kurds are "pleading for our support."

The American troops are doing “nothing," the source lamented. "Just sitting by and watching it unfold.”
Of the president’s decision, the source said: “He doesn’t understand the problem. He doesn’t understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level-headed actor.”

“The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone,” said the longtime member of Special Forces. “It’s a shame. We are just watching. It’s horrible.”

“This is not helping the ISIS fight," the military source said.

Many of the ISIS prisoners "will be free in the coming days and weeks," he predicted.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the Special Forces source stressed to Fox News. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
---

This is Trump's "Great" America. Hope his supporters are happy.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
OK.... I'm confused.
I need an intervention.
Trump was having his live news conference this afternoon, carried live on Fox News, naturally.
October 9th, 2019.
And the only reporters that were asking the questions were, from Fox News. Surprise surprise.

Here is my dilemma.
Trump gave a very heart felt speech at the end of why he did not like and does not like seeing American lives scarified and lost over in those middle eastern countries.
AND I AGREED WITH HIM.
This is one issue where I totally agrees with Donald Trump, and.... realized with this issue Trump is his own man.
Unlike LBJ and Reagan, and Nixon, and certainly both Bush's, and sadly to say Barack Obama, Donald Trump is no Warhawk.
Not even close.
Obama started off on the right side and opposed unnecessary war and refused to fall into the Warhawk role, but them Obama changed. The elite of the military leadership got to Obama, and then Obama changed. And not for the better. Obama was weak, and gullible.

But with hearing Trump describe his feeling on sending out those letters to the families of those deceased brave soldiers fallen in battle, I could tell that came from his heart.
Donald Trump doesn't understand much, but he does understand sacrifice, and understands the sacrifice of our military men and women and their families.
And Donald Trump believes that sacrifice is nothing to toss around or demand unless absolutely necessary.
And he means totally absolutely necessary.
So, I gotta tell ya as much as I hate Donald Trump, I do respect him for that.

Not a Warhawk. Not Donald Trump.
Maybe, just maybe there is something inside Donald Trump that I have been missing?
Something that I can finally agree with and actually respect him for.
Could that maybe get me to vote for the guy in 2020?
THAT is my dilemma.
I would love to see more fo that in Donald Trump, where he tells it like it is, makes sense, and connects to the people.
That ending snippet from todays news conference was masterful. He really gets is. At least when talking about sacrifice and the opposition to unnecessary sacrifice.
And those letters to the families. An incredible story.
This is the problem. When people fail to distinguish their own countries greater interests from simplistic viewpoints as "does not like seeing American lives scarified and lost over in those middle eastern countries." When ISIS reforms and poses an even bigger threat to American lives around the world and/or at home, then maybe the significance of the Kurds and their role in helping defeat them will be remembered.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This is the problem. When people fail to distinguish their own countries greater interests from simplistic viewpoints as "does not like seeing American lives scarified and lost over in those middle eastern countries." When ISIS reforms and poses an even bigger threat to American lives around the world and/or at home, then maybe the significance of the Kurds and their role in helping defeat them will be remembered.

probably not. They will blame obama.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Erdogan knows where Trump Towers Istanbul are. And he knows Trump knows, and he knows that Graham and GOP are a joke who turned a blind eye to Trump's corruption and are now pretending to be tough.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
No apology can unring this bell.
It'll take generations to repair the damage. Decades with no relapse. And by the time anyone trusts us again, it'll be a much different geopolitical world. China's world.
Yeah, are you going to entrust your people to a weak kneed country that might easily elect a corrupt traitor in the next 4 years? Kurds are going to be a warning to any potential future US allies for generations.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Erdogan knows where Trump Towers Istanbul are. And he knows Trump knows, and he knows that Graham and GOP are a joke who turned a blind eye to Trump's corruption and are now pretending to be tough.

Lindsey who? Some snowflake at the bottom of Trump's golden toilet.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Who needs enemies with a friend like the US. Backs stabbing bitses
Erdogan is a little deranged misshaped retarded pig. Swine. No wonder he speaks “Trump”.

Nov 25, 2013
Let’s look on the bright side...at least we’re selling weapons to both sides!! CHA-CHING!!! Amirite???

Not really as the Kurds have gotten not all that much in terms of arms from pretty much *anyone*. During many of their battles with Daesh they were often outgunned. They've been pleading for better arms since they started fighting Daesh.

Nov 25, 2013
A shameful moment for America. If we don't want to get involved in new conflicts, that's fine, but we are betraying our allies and leaving them to die after getting them to remove their defenses as part of security arrangement with Turkey. This is not being a bystander, this is stabbing your friend in the back.

On Fox News today:
---
A member of U.S. Special Forces serving alongside the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Syria told Fox News on Wednesday they were witnessing Turkish atrocities on the frontlines.

“I am ashamed for the first time in my career,” said the distraught soldier, who has been involved in the training of indigenous forces on multiple continents. The hardened service member is among the 1,000 or so U.S. troops who remain in Syria.

“Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It’s horrible,” the military source on the ground said. “We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement [with the Turks]. There was no threat to the Turks -- none -- from this side of the border."
“This is insanity,” the concerned U.S. service member said. "I don’t know what they call atrocities, but they are happening.”
The Special Forces member said the Kurds have not left their positions guarding detainees. In fact, “they prevented a prison break last night without us," the military source on the front line said. “They are not abandoning our side [yet]."

"The Turks are hitting outside the security mechanism," according to the source, who said the Kurds are "pleading for our support."

The American troops are doing “nothing," the source lamented. "Just sitting by and watching it unfold.”
Of the president’s decision, the source said: “He doesn’t understand the problem. He doesn’t understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level-headed actor.”

“The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone,” said the longtime member of Special Forces. “It’s a shame. We are just watching. It’s horrible.”

“This is not helping the ISIS fight," the military source said.

Many of the ISIS prisoners "will be free in the coming days and weeks," he predicted.
"The Kurds are sticking by us," the Special Forces source stressed to Fox News. "No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
---

This is Trump's "Great" America. Hope his supporters are happy.

Donald Trump, Savior of Daesh. It's a truly wonderful historical moment.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
The only remedy I see for this is to allow all Kurds (with background checks), refugee status in the US. But even that's not enough. They should be given a piece of land where they can re-settle as Americans (sort of like Indian reservations but with actual support from the federal government).

Reactions: cytg111

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The only remedy I see for this is to allow all Kurds (with background checks), refugee status in the US. But even that's not enough. They should be given a piece of land where they can re-settle as Americans (sort of like Indian reservations but with actual support from the federal government).
That'll only happen if the the reservations are "TRUMP" branded :D

Feb 4, 2009

That’s what Greenland is for

JenniferA

Banned
Oct 7, 2019
I want current allies of the USA to take a long hard look at this and form EU defence forces and leave NATO immediately.

Also, the shipping of refugees from every single US caused war zone for the last 20 years should commence, that is over 100 million refugees in total.

Perhaps if the US learned that there are consequences of going to war more than just fodder that you don't give a shit about other than play pretend to care about one day a year you'd might start thinking differently.

I say, just ship them over, every last one of them, put them on the US ships that reach port and ship them over.

Fucking kids need to learn that actions have consequences.

And before you say anything this is on topic, this is about what Donald Trump stated about ISIS warriors.

JenniferA

Banned
Oct 7, 2019
That’s what Greenland is for

Most people don't know this but Greenlanders mainly live in Denmark these days and they are treated like utter shit. 80% of them are assaulted every year and those are among those who survive living on the streets. A rate higher than with other Danes by 400%. Danes are not really all that nice people.

Feb 4, 2009
Most people don't know this but Greenlanders mainly live in Denmark these days and they are treated like utter shit. 80% of them are assaulted every year and those are among those who survive living on the streets. A rate higher than with other Danes by 400%. Danes are not really all that nice people.

This was sarcasm, the President appeared to want to buy Greenland last month.

JenniferA

Banned
Oct 7, 2019
This was sarcasm, the President appeared to want to buy Greenland last month.

Yes, I got the joke, it was very funny of you to imply that Greenland could be a homeland for the Kurds since Donald Trump had previously thought that he might be able to buy the land. Most amusing, many laughs were had.

I interjected a bit of current knowledge mainly because I just read it, it may have fit badly into the post and I don't even know why I interjected it, it was just a blip of the mind based on what I had just read.

Greenlanders are not doing well in Denmark though and I feel that I should care about that.

Reactions: Bitek

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Wow. Guess who is 100% in sync with the President on killing the Kurds.
That is, when he is not lying to the American people.

Lindsey Graham dishes on Trump in hoax calls with Russians
“I told President Trump that Obama made a huge mistake in relying on the YPG Kurds,” Graham continued. “Everything I worried about has come true, and now we have to make sure Turkey is protected from this threat in Syria. I’m sympathetic to the YPG problem, and so is the president, quite frankly.”

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
That is not quite true is it? Greenlanders are treated on equal footing as everyone else. Granted, they tend to carry whatever troubles they had before hand with them over the sea. Seeing as Denmark has some of the, if not the most, roboust social security programs, I find it hard to believe they would fare better elsewhere. Also they numbers you are citing I believe stems from confrontations with other not adjusted ethnic groups... while still a problem, its a problem of another nature.
Probably means that Danes with effect can modify certain strategies when it comes to plotting a course for handling its Greenlander population. Noone in denmark needs to be homeless.

Nov 25, 2013
That is not quite true is it? Greenlanders are treated on equal footing as everyone else. Granted, they tend to carry whatever troubles they had before hand with them over the sea. Seeing as Denmark has some of the, if not the most, roboust social security programs, I find it hard to believe they would fare better elsewhere. Also they numbers you are citing I believe stems from confrontations with other not adjusted ethnic groups... while still a problem, its a problem of another nature.
Probably means that Danes with effect can modify certain strategies when it comes to plotting a course for handling its Greenlander population. Noone in denmark needs to be homeless.

Based on the info that I've found it looks like Denmark has many of the same ongoing issues of oppression/ethnic bigotry that pretty much every other country that has an indigenous population seems to have.

Nov 25, 2013
I fear that this will be very, very bad.

'Betrayal leaves a bitter taste': spurned Kurds flee Turkish onslaught

Smoke rises from the Syrian town of Tal Abyad, where Turkish forces have advanced. Photograph: Bülent Kılıç/AFP via Getty Images

1570768876118.jpeg