US to be full HD by 2008?

MBrown

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I heard somewhere that the US is supposed to be going full HD by 2008. Is this true?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Supposed to be going full Digital by 2008. Digital != HD.

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Doesn't it mean that all channels are required to support digital by 2008? Which means that the analog will still be available..

spunkz

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2003
wasn't this originally supposed to be 2006? and was that HD support also?

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
digital tuners will be available for a small fee from retailers and cable outlets for those troglodytes refusing to buy new televisions.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
digital tuners will be available for a small fee from retailers and cable outlets for those troglodytes refusing to buy new televisions.

i thought the government was going to subsidize one tuner for every home? the cost was insane when I first heard about it... then I read how much they were going to make bank selling off the airspace.

Originally posted by: Queasy

QFTMFT

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Kwaipie

A bit harsh don't you think? My 32 inch Sony TV still looks as good as the day I bought it. If I can buy a converter box that will allow me to use my current TV I will certainly do that before throwing it away.

Dritnul

Jan 9, 2006
Originally posted by: MBrown
I heard somewhere that the US is supposed to be going full HD by 2008. Is this true?

i also heard the same thing about this year and next year

but when they actually gonna do it

currently my uncle lives in Denver CO and cant get it

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Everybody can get HD now, just like everybody can get cable. People just choose not to get it.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: thirdeye
Originally posted by: Queasy

Yeah, they have a LONG way to go before being full HD.

Not as long as you would think, actually.

And to repeat, since it seems a lot of people have trouble comprehending the difference... the FCC is mandating that all broadcasters have digital channels, not HD channels.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Papagayo
Doesn't it mean that all channels are required to support digital by 2008? Which means that the analog will still be available..
Nope. The FCC sold off the analog spectrum. The TV stations can't (legally) use that analog spectrum any more after Feb of 2009.

I will also reiterate the correct people above due to the mass information about the subject. The stations have to stop broadcasting in analog in Feb 2009. They don't have to go digital, they could just go out of business if they choose. Of course they will choose to go digital. But digital is NOT high definition. My $20 watch is digital, but its screen is NOT high definition.

Also, I must be a troglodyte because my TVs look just fine and I get lots of enjoyment from them without tossing them in the trash and spending many thousands of dollars to get the same enjoyment out of a HD TV.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Dritnul
Originally posted by: MBrown

i also heard the same thing about this year and next year

but when they actually gonna do it

currently my uncle lives in Denver CO and cant get it

Your uncle can't get what? HD? Anyone can get HD as long as they are willing to pay for it.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
People won't go HD until there's significant programming displayed in HD ALL THE TIME.

The local cable company has something like 10 HD channels available. The only time I ever use HD is playing X360. If I didn't have an X360 I think I'd be holding off on going HD.

I would guess it'll be another 5-10 years before the large majority of people have HD televisions. Sure, they're cheap now, but plenty of people are happy with SD programming and see no need to throw away a perfectly good SDTV.