US State Department protests televangelist's nuclear threat

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
If a Muslim Cleric had a made a statement like that in the US, they would be getting visited by the FBI right now.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Some people are very sure that what they believe is right and what is wrong needs to be destroyed. You just can't trust the truth to win. It needs help.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
I could be wrong, but I understood the linked article as saying that Pat Robertson only paraphrased what the book author wrote, not that he specifically stated on his own that the State Department should be nuked.
Robertson, who has been a frequent critic of the State Department, made the offending comments during an interview with a like-minded critic of US diplomacy, columnist Joel Mowbray, who has written a book entitled "Dangerous Diplomacy: How the State Department Threatens American Security."

"I read your book," Robertson said, according to a transcript of the interview posted on his Christian Broadcasting Network's website (www.cbn.com).

"When you get through, you say, 'If I could just get a nuclear device inside Foggy Bottom, I think that's the answer'," he said.

"I mean, you get through this, and you say, 'We've got to blow that thing up.' I mean, is it as bad as you say?" Robertson asked.

Mowbray responded: "It is."

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Tha tis how a translate it also, tk129. However, some people on this board "are very sure that what they believe is right and what is wrong needs to be destroyed. You just can't trust the truth to win. It needs help."

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Druid, whatever.....if they are fanatics they are bad. Religion is fine, it helps some people through life. The problem is when nutburgers like Bin Laden, Robertson(though this particular event seems to be fairly innocent), etc..... twist it into an excuse for hatred of those that don't follow their chosen religion. I don't care what religion you follow. Just follow it and stop trying to force everyone else to follow yours. I'm no theologist but I'm fairly certain that one of the main beliefs of all these systems is the idea of free will and allowing others to choose their own path. It's just a good thing that Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha etc... aren't around today because they would be pissed.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Men like Robertson and books like the one reviewed are of the same mind as the late Timothy McVeigh.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Robertson and Falwell need to STFU already! They not only make Christians look bad but Americans as whole.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Tha tis how a translate it also, tk129. However, some people on this board "are very sure that what they believe is right and what is wrong needs to be destroyed. You just can't trust the truth to win. It needs help."
You can say that again.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So how did Robertson react? Shocked? In agreement?

It seems strange to me, that these statements were concerning a part of the Bush admin that has always been outside, as it were, the circle of influence in the Bush admin. Meaning, that the State Dept has not been very enthusiastic with the current admins international escapades. Whether Robertson agreed with the interviewees comments or not, it is safe to say that Robertson is a political lacky in religious clothing. Beware!

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Druid, whatever.....if they are fanatics they are bad. Religion is fine, it helps some people through life. The problem is when nutburgers like Bin Laden, Robertson(though this particular event seems to be fairly innocent), etc..... twist it into an excuse for hatred of those that don't follow their chosen religion. I don't care what religion you follow. Just follow it and stop trying to force everyone else to follow yours. I'm no theologist but I'm fairly certain that one of the main beliefs of all these systems is the idea of free will and allowing others to choose their own path. It's just a good thing that Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha etc... aren't around today because they would be pissed.

Agreed.

alm4rr

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by: tk149
I could be wrong, but I understood the linked article as saying that Pat Robertson only paraphrased what the book author wrote, not that he specifically stated on his own that the State Department should be nuked.

As reported by the AP, Robertson also advocated bombing the State Department during a June interview with Mowbray. "It's like an entrenched bureaucracy that has their own agenda, and it doesn't comport with the will of the American people. How do we get rid of them.... Well, it looks like Congress had better do something, and maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up," Robertson said.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Hear, hear!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

thanks to bush's faith based initiative, 21 grants from an executive slush fund called the compassion capital fund were created. 500 proposals submitted, only 21 funded. 1 worth 500k went to pat Robertson. A man that calls Hindus devil worshippers, Muslims insane, prespaterians representatives of the antichrist. This is where your tax money has gone people thanks to this hack president. your money now funds bigots.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: alm4rr
Originally posted by: tk149
As reported by the AP, Robertson also advocated bombing the State Department during a June interview with Mowbray. "It's like an entrenched bureaucracy that has their own agenda, and it doesn't comport with the will of the American people. How do we get rid of them.... Well, it looks like Congress had better do something, and maybe we need a very small nuke thrown off on Foggy Bottom to shake things up," Robertson said.
I found your quote from the The Christian Broadcasting Network. Wow, that's at best an insensitive comment, especially in light of 9-11. On the other hand, he did say "Very SMALL" nuke. ;) I'm just plain embarassed for America that this guy was once a presidential candidate.

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The FAR RIGHT being attacked by the FAR RIGHT. Imagine that, nuclear meltdown amongst the good ole boys down South.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
thanks to bush's faith based initiative, 21 grants from an executive slush fund called the compassion capital fund were created. 500 proposals submitted, only 21 funded. 1 worth 500k went to pat Robertson. A man that calls Hindus devil worshippers, Muslims insane, prespaterians representatives of the antichrist. This is where your tax money has gone people thanks to this hack president. your money now funds bigots.

Robertson helped get out the vote for Bush in 2000, and will, again, in 2004...