US senator helps pregnant migrant with life-threatening condition apply for asylum at US-Mexico border

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

Our nation financially bears the burden of another nation's citizen. So, it's like littering. You feel you can do it, because you are one person and that is simply one bottle of plastic. But if everyone did it, the world would be a mess. Should our people take on the financial burden of medically treating everyone who wants it, and can journey here?

Certainly we're not expecting this mother to somehow be self sufficient and pay us the cost of medical care.

To me, that makes it an interesting moral question. Easy to say yes to one person, but this is a standard for everyone else to follow. The expense of thousands, or millions of sick people can add up to be a true burden on our nation.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Your primary argument here is that we need a larger peasant class. People of little education to scrub our toilets and pick our lettuce for very little money. You also noted that most homeless people don't want any help. Then you accuse me of spouting republican talking points. Did you actually read what you wrote?

I think people should be paid a living wage to scrub toilets and pick lettuce, because our society requires it. Conservatives are the ones against it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This is a part of Trump's legacy that will of course be subject to a re-writing of history. These tragedies at the southern border are directly attributable to him and those folks that support such inhumane policies of which will need some "fixing" after Trump gets what he wanted out of this tragic mess.

We really didn't need to go this route to make our borders more secure. Trump is making thousands upon thousands of people suffer in order to keep his racists and white supremacists happy and voting for him in his upcoming re-election efforts.

That takes some real cold calculating immoral heartless thinking to go that far and the reasons why he feels things need to go that way.

edit - And where the hell are those evangelists and religious conservatives when it comes to their leader of choice perpetrating such heinous inhumane acts on what could very well be thousands of fellow Christians in these groups of migrants?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Our nation financially bears the burden of another nation's citizen.
I'd rather we bear the financial 'burden' of another potentially productive citizen than the emotional burden of another dead child we could have saved, and chose not to.

One of those mentalities led to us being what was once the most powerful, and loved, nations on the planet; I'll leave it to you to discern which.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Our nation financially bears the burden of another nation's citizen.
If you don't want that responsibility, then maybe the US shouldn't have messed around with South/Central American politics with CIA-led coups and such. Some of these countries are the way they are because the US propped up or put into power crack pot dictators/military men who fleeced their citizens.

What's done is done, but the US does bear some responsibility for the conditions in some of those countries.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I'm sure that all sounded very logical in your head, but it doesn't come across all that well when in print.
I don't know what the answer is, but throwing open the border isn't a solution. That just moves the problem further north.
Most of those folks aren't going to have marketable skills, or speak English, and many of them will need medical care. Since we can't seem to solve the homeless problem we have right now, importing another fifty thousand a month doesn't seem like something we're equipped to handle.
Like I said, I don't have any answers, I don't even grasp the entire problem, but I do know that impotent raving isn't going to help, perhaps it's time to try running in circles with our hands in the air?

Personally, I'd like to hear real ideas that might actually work. I don't like keeping people in cages, and I don't like sick kids dying as they cross the desert.

My solution is that once Trump Inc is liquidated to pay its $2-5 billion debt in stolen taxes from the US government over the last 10+ years, his various golf "resorts" be converted into small communities to house and accommodate asylum seekers and immigrants. Free education, health, and training programs to help them integrate and gain at least some of the competitive skills for them and their families to find success in the supposed free country that is the USA. These could be almost entirely self-contained, to allow them the freedom to move about on a daily basis, with exposure to US and their own native cultures through social programs and general consumer exposures to shopping and generally daily life needs. Crossing the border for them simply means free, direct transport to a facility once their papers have been processed.

I don't think we'd need all of Trump's properties for this, either. The rest can be converted into mass abortion factories that offer free round-trip transportation and procedure costs to women living in backwoods bronze-aged conservative states that would just prefer to stone them to death.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
This is a part of Trump's legacy that will of course be subject to a re-writing of history. These tragedies at the southern border are directly attributable to him and those folks that support such inhumane policies of which will need some "fixing" after Trump gets what he wanted out of this tragic mess.

We really didn't need to go this route to make our borders more secure. Trump is making thousands upon thousands of people suffer in order to keep his racists and white supremacists happy and voting for him in his upcoming re-election efforts.

That takes some real cold calculating immoral heartless thinking to go that far and the reasons why he feels things need to go that way.

edit - And where the hell are those evangelists and religious conservatives when it comes to their leader of choice perpetrating such heinous inhumane acts on what could very well be thousands of fellow Christians in these groups of migrants?
You must mean the pro white lifers.

Reactions: tweaker2

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
The expense of thousands, or millions of sick people can add up to be a true burden on our nation.

I wonder if the burden is more than the cost of all the weapons Ronnie & Ollie dumped in those countries to fight the commies?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I think people should be paid a living wage to scrub toilets and pick lettuce, because our society requires it. Conservatives are the ones against it.

If we paid "living wages" for those tasks then every illegal would be unemployed. The only reason they are hired now is because they can be paid below market rate wages. "Doing jobs Americans won't do" implicitly means "performed in locations and for wages that Americans won't do at the offered rates of pay." But hey, continue letting in the slave labor because folks like @Jhhnn think it will somehow hurry along redistribution from the billionaire set if we ignore our immigration laws and let in as many illegals as want to come.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Our nation financially bears the burden of another nation's citizen. So, it's like littering. You feel you can do it, because you are one person and that is simply one bottle of plastic. But if everyone did it, the world would be a mess. Should our people take on the financial burden of medically treating everyone who wants it, and can journey here?

Certainly we're not expecting this mother to somehow be self sufficient and pay us the cost of medical care.

To me, that makes it an interesting moral question. Easy to say yes to one person, but this is a standard for everyone else to follow. The expense of thousands, or millions of sick people can add up to be a true burden on our nation.

Most studies indicate that on the whole immigrants aren't more of a burden than native borns also that their presence is a substantial net positive to the economy.

I've long maintained that Central America is a special case for us given a history of intervention going back to the Monroe Doctrine. We are, in part, directly and indirectly responsible for the current situations in many of those countries. Yet most people are apparently ignorant of that fact or chose to ignore it out of convenience.

Also, I'd be careful about comparing immigrants to trash. It could cause people to question your motives.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Most studies indicate that on the whole immigrants aren't more of a burden than native borns also that their presence is a substantial net positive to the economy.

I've long maintained that Central America is a special case for us given a history of intervention going back to the Monroe Doctrine. We are, in part, directly and indirectly responsible for the current situations in many of those countries. Yet most people are apparently ignorant of that fact or chose to ignore it out of convenience.

Also, I'd be careful about comparing immigrants to trash. It could cause people to question your motives.

The migrants are the result of our own policy failures in the Northern Triangle. It's coming around to bite us in the ass.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...-corruption-ms-13.html?searchResultPosition=1

https://cco.ndu.edu/News/Article/1298326/the-evolution-of-ms-13-in-el-salvador-and-honduras/

It bears mentioning that both MS-13 and the 18th Street gangs originated in the gang culture of this country. They carried it home when they were deported.

Reactions: K1052

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
If we paid "living wages" for those tasks then every illegal would be unemployed. The only reason they are hired now is because they can be paid below market rate wages. "Doing jobs Americans won't do" implicitly means "performed in locations and for wages that Americans won't do at the offered rates of pay." But hey, continue letting in the slave labor because folks like @Jhhnn think it will somehow hurry along redistribution from the billionaire set if we ignore our immigration laws and let in as many illegals as want to come.

Not sure why you put quotes around living wages. Society requires some tasks to be performed (toilet scrubbing etc). Some citizens are only capable of doing those kind of jobs (due to lack of intelligence or other issues). Why should they (someone working full time) be demeaned to the point that they can't afford to adequately feed/clothe/shelter themselves and receive appropriate medical care? Why does our society have billions to throw at farmers to not grow food (or endless wars) but conservative politicians always wring their hands about how "entitlements" need to be cut?