US politics needs more Christie, less Romney

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
The Republican Party is running the most dishonest presidential candidate in history, in my opinion. Romney cannot open his mouth without lying; he can't even take a position on something without contradicting it a day later. He has no character, no moral compass. All he cares about is trying to win votes.

On the other hand, this party also has a man in it named Chris Christie, who is willing to speak his mind even if there are potential political consequences:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said that President Obama deserves "great credit" for his response to Hurricane Sandy, during an appearance on "CBS This Morning" Tuesday. He said he had spoken to the president three times, including when Obama called him at midnight.

"I can't thank the president enough for that," Christie said, referring to the major disaster declaration Obama signed for New Jersey, expediting federal aid to the state. "Cooperation from the president of the United States has been outstanding. He deserves great credit."

And Christie deserves great credit for saying so.

I may not agree with him on everything. And in the end, he's a politician. But we'd be better off with more politicians like him, and fewer like the fraud his party wants to be the leader of the free world.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
I watched Christie's speech at the RNC, and my first thought was, "he's going to be the nominee in 2016."

I'm with you. I don't particularly love his politics, but I do appreciate his honesty and brashness. Hopefully the Republican Party won't punish him for it like the Democrats did to Howard Dean.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Christie is too moderate on social issues to survive the GOP primaries... which is incredibly sad. I'd be very open to voting for him.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Unfortunately he needs a certain demographic to get elected on a national level. the same demographic that is enamored by snooki and kim kardashian would not vote for an overweight white guy. Style over substance is where it is at.

Oct 16, 1999
Your post is exactly why Christie said what he did. It's obvious he has his eye on a 2016 run. I really don't think his temperament would make for a good president and especially CiC.

Buxaroo

Oct 2, 2012
I don't agree with most of what Christie believes in, and I am very liberal, but I like him and I like his no bullshit mannerisms. But I don't think he will get through the primaries because frankly, the GOP are batshit crazy. Just look at the primary debates, and the blatant lies coming from all of the candidates. Not to mention the audience who sounded like they were in a wrestling match.

If anything, maybe with Obama winning his second term, the GOP might start to come back towards a rational policy and the tea party nutjobs will go form their own party. Maybe the GOP might actually get people to vote for them again.

Anyways, Hillary 2016!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I watched Christie's speech at the RNC, and my first thought was, "he's going to be the nominee in 2016."

I'm with you. I don't particularly love his politics, but I do appreciate his honesty and brashness. Hopefully the Republican Party won't punish him for it like the Democrats did to Howard Dean.

That "honesty and brashness" would absolutely destroy him with an organized campaign. He has no chance to run for President and win.

Just try and picture his own words used in an attack ad on television. Unelectable at a national level.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Christie would be a far better choice than any offered this time around.

I don't see the Republican party coming back from it's more extreme positions all at once so a gradual move that might work is better than what we have. Christies temper is a factor for me though. I don't want a bully in office, which is quite different from a leader. He needs to be able to hear things he doesn't like and weigh them against his own opinions and choose the best for the nation, not what satisfies him or his party, which unfortunately seems to be how things are done more often than not at expecially at the national level.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Heh if Romney can get through it Christie can as well.

Romney got through it by becoming possibly the most amoral presidential candidate in history. He's certainly at least the least truthful with the least stance on issues/policies.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Is this a thread to praise Christie or a thinly disguised thread to repeat a talking point on Romney?

Michael

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I like the frank talk w/o being rude to constituents

In a press conference he once noted how all the anti-muslim furor is stupid. This would cause him a problem with the right.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Thats what they need though. One of their own to tell them when they are being wingnuts.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I'm sure on some level he's a lying scumbag like the rest of them, but on another level he does stand with a very few who appear to have some semblance of character. He's certainly interesting to listen to and very often is correct.

I cannot help but wonder if the mystique surrounding him would vanish if he actually had to run for president, but at this time he seems infinitely better than the rest of the potential nominees for republican president.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Romney got through it by becoming possibly the most amoral presidential candidate in history. He's certainly at least the least truthful with the least stance on issues/policies.

He is very moderate in his stances regardless of his flip flopping.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I hate Obama for this, he should have at least waited for the storm and flood to wash away and cleanse New Jersey of the guidos.

Feb 10, 2000
In most substantive respects I have a very different view of the world than Chris Christie, but I absolutely applaud his candor about the support the President is giving during this catastrophe (moreover, I am pleased that the President is apparently handling it in a laudatory way).

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I was impressed with him this morning on Morning Joe - he knows when to cast partisan BS aside. This is one of those moments for the northeast.

Last edited:

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
The Republican Party needs to get rid of the Plutocrats and the Christianists.

Until then, they will continue to sink into irrelevance, which is not good for our Democracy.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
LOL, so when he sucks the obama cock he's being bi-partisian? Eat it up fools, he just wants the federal monies. FBHO.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Christie is too moderate on social issues to survive the GOP primaries... which is incredibly sad. I'd be very open to voting for him.
LOL D or R doesn't matter except for the one you happen to like. :rolleyes: