US national debt limit raised to $10.6 Trillion

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003

US national debt limit raised to $10.6 Trillion...

US National Debt Limit Raised Ahead of Budget Busting Bailout Legislation
Politics / US Debt
Jul 25, 2008 - 12:04 PM

By: Peter_Schiff

With President Bush no longer threatening a veto, the subprime mortgage and Fannie and Freddie ?bailout? bill is now sailing through Congress. In anticipation of its enactment, Congress had the foresight to raise the national debt limit to $10.6 trillion. Who says that politicians don't plan ahead?

Once signed into law, the budget busting legislation will hand the Administration a blank check to prop up the ailing home lenders. The ultimate cost is anybody's guess. I believe that the price tag will be higher than just about anyone imagines. Paulson's Bazooka will be locked and loaded with enough fire power to blow what's left of our economy into the dustbin of history.

Though the government and Wall Street assure us that these bold moves will save the housing market, and the economy as a whole, from collapse, the reality is that the solution is far worse than the problem. As painful as the failure of Freddie and Fannie would have been, bailing them out will hurt even more. In other words, it's not the disease that will kill us but the cure.

etc...

Oh dear.

Funny that the politicians/MSM keep their mouths shut about raising the debt limit, isn't it. When you are in a hole you should stop digging, no?

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
This is just business as usual for the government. This is the 6th time they are raising the debt limit since 2001.

Get ready for
a) More Taxes
b) Huge inflation when the dollar you earn today becomes worthless

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
And what do we have to show for it?

At least the moron who maxes out his credit cards on junk has a plasma TV and a fast computer to enjoy as he ponders how he'll pay for it all.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
2008 biggest deficit EVAR

Biggest budget ever this year ($3.1T) and biggest deficit. First 3t budget, in fact. Guess who signed the first $2T budget ever? Bush, and I don't mean sr. Same one in office now. Guess who signed the first $1T? Reagan. Fiscal conservatives FTW!!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Skoorb

Biggest budget ever this year ($3.1T) and biggest deficit. First 3t budget, in fact. Guess who signed the first $2T budget ever? Bush, and I don't mean sr. Same one in office now. Guess who signed the first $1T? Reagan. Fiscal conservatives FTW!!

Dont forget the 450 billion in stimulus checks and housing bailouts.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just saw where the 2009 deficit is estimated to be ~1/2 Trillion dollars ($490,000,000,000). Nice.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87

I don't think the housing bailout will hit until 2009. There have been just over $100 billion in stimulus checks sent so far this year with an estimated $60 billion to go (possibly into next year). Also, I think the story might be incorrect as it says "this year" as in 2008. CNBC just stated 400 billion this year and $490 billion for 2009, FWIW.

900 billion in two years....wow.

From 5.6 trillion in 2001 to nearly 10 trillion (or beyond) by 2009. Great job there.

Time for the ole "Well, it's still low compared to GDP" speeches to pop out. Won't stay low at this pace, now will it, but just think, the stimulus checks bought us a positive GDP (most likely) and no "official" recession. I guess that's worth it, right?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
this is ridiculous. When will it become apparent to them that we cannot ever pay this back.

They don't need to pay it back as long as they can roll it over and over and over. However, it's growth cannot continue forever. Sure, we are well below other countries like Japan, but the growth in spending just isn't sustainable forever.

On a side note, I guess Bush won't be able to claim that the deficit was cut in half by the time he leaves office.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005

And we can't forget that any additional Iraq 'Emergency Spending Bills' that go for about 60-80 billion a pop are off the books as well.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GTKeeper

And we can't forget that any additional Iraq 'Emergency Spending Bills' that go for about 60-80 billion a pop are off the books as well.

I don't think that's accurate. I believe they are accounted for in the deficit and debt totals.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Engineer
Originally posted by: GTKeeper

I don't think that's accurate. I believe they are accounted for in the deficit and debt totals.
I thought that they also were basically "off the books". They will hit the debt and they hit the "true deficit" but in terms of official deficit, emergency appropriations are off the book since they're not part of the official budget and, despite their predictability, they've been a key financing piece for the Iraq war, so in this sense it's not immediately noticeable with a cursory glance at the numbers.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I suggest you people get perspective. Is our debt out of control? Sure it is. But this bullshit of biggest evar etc is crap. Our debt ceiling is rased every year (pretty much). Were you railing against Clinton for doing so? Bush Sr? Reagan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

And our debt actually went down slightly in 2001, ever so. you need to also consider debt as a percentage of GDP. Its remained ~fairly~ stable in our lifetimes, especially compared to the disastrous 1950's. Why? Because our economy ISNT as bad as the chicken littles make it out to be, and because of how much wealth this country has.

Get a grip people.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: blackangst1
I suggest you people get perspective. Is our debt out of control? Sure it is. But this bullshit of biggest evar etc is crap. Our debt ceiling is rased every year (pretty much). Were you railing against Clinton for doing so? Bush Sr? Reagan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

And our debt actually went down slightly in 2001, ever so. you need to also consider debt as a percentage of GDP. Its remained ~fairly~ stable in our lifetimes, especially compared to the disastrous 1950's. Why? Because our economy ISNT as bad as the chicken littles make it out to be, and because of how much wealth this country has.

Get a grip people.

It was indeed high in the 1950's but heading in the right direction until around 1980.. Seems that the GOP Presidents can't seem to make it go in the right direction (down) since then.

We do have alot of wealth but as T. Boone Pickens states, we're undergoing the greatest wealth transfer in history right now. Doesn't mean we will run out (or even low), but nothing wrong with keeping an eye on it.

Economy is good for some, bad for others. Depends on which side of the coin you're on.

Debt ceilings have been raised (and must be to continue borrowing to keep governement going) so nothing new there. However, record "deficits" are indeed new, especially when stating 1/2 trillion dollars per year with the so called worse (SS and medicare booms) in the near future.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

How can we have a budget deficit when we don't even have a budget? There is no federal budget for 2008, nor was there for 2007.

I'm beginning to understand all of these federal bailouts. The government itself can't budget its money, so why should its citizens be expected to be any more responsible? Our example is a bunch of idiots seeing how fast they can spend money that isn't their, so the private citizen simply follows that example. Those of us who behave in a fiscally responsible manner are penalized for the idiocy of the rest.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The Iraq war and all other 'emergency' spending does show up in the year end budget figures.

It is called 'off budget' because they are not part of the normal budget process.

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
Originally posted by: alchemize
Thank heavens the democrat majority congress is finally making a stand! Only 10.6 trillion!

Bush did promise us a balanced budget with a 100b+ surpluss by 2012. Oh and I forgot, he also said the deficit next year would only be 200 billion or so.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The Democrats have been in control of congress for a year and a half now and the budget and deficit still grows??

I thought they were going to stop all that?

BTW the only way to view the deficit/debt is in terms of its size vs. GDP. The dollar figures are meaningless since inflation will cause it to rise nearly every year.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
It was indeed high in the 1950's but heading in the right direction until around 1980.. Seems that the GOP Presidents can't seem to make it go in the right direction (down) since then.

*shrug* OK. We can post graphs all day long to credit and discredit all we want right? I was simply making a statement without regard to party.

We do have alot of wealth but as T. Boone Pickens states, we're undergoing the greatest wealth transfer in history right now. Doesn't mean we will run out (or even low), but nothing wrong with keeping an eye on it.

Yep. There is more wealth now both in hard dollars, and adjusted for inflation, than at any time in our history. The wealth many people under 50 have now make Rockefeller look dismal. Reflection of bad economics? Nope. Reflection of decent (notice I didnt say ideal, perfect, or even good.) economics, good opportunity, and freedom.

Economy is good for some, bad for others. Depends on which side of the coin you're on.

Well, in all fairness, we all know thats a moot point.

Debt ceilings have been raised (and must be to continue borrowing to keep governement going) so nothing new there. However, record "deficits" are indeed new, especially when stating 1/2 trillion dollars per year with the so called worse (SS and medicare booms) in the near future.

And realistically the only way out is higher taxes or lower spending. We all know which one will come to pass dont we?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The Democrats have been in control of congress for a year and a half now and the budget and deficit still grows??

I thought they were going to stop all that?

BTW the only way to view the deficit/debt is in terms of its size vs. GDP. The dollar figures are meaningless since inflation will cause it to rise nearly every year.

Yeah but THEY DONT HAVE A 2/3 MAJORITY!!! bwahahahahaha

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
The really sad part is that the only real fiscal conservatives left are outside of the two major parties.

We complain about the debt and spending, and rightfully so, and Congress has a historically low approval rating. Yet, here we are, just months away from electing one of two Senators for our next president. Neither of which will balance a budget, much less chip away at the ever-increasing national debt.

One must wonder who exactly is doing a worse job. Those in DC or the people who elect them.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
President Bush inherited a budget surplus of $128 billion when he took office in 2001 but has since posted a budget deficit every year.
On the front page of CNN right now.

"White House spokeswoman says increased deficit needed to spur economy"

:laugh: Yea folks Bush/Republicans say we need more deficit to get us out of the deficit. Has that not been what thay have ben saying the last 6-8years?

"But the senior administration official says the budgetary problems stem from what is believed to be inadequate defense, intelligence and homeland security resources that were handed down from President Bill Clinton."

Oh so the last 8 years were all Clintons fault. Again something Bush/Republicans have been using as their scapegoat the last 6-8 years.