US names general to be 'war tsar'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: dahunan
Our political and military leaders have failed us. I do not see anyone currently in power who has the desire to do all that is necessary. Therefore they shall all fail no matter what game is played.

Tsar or not, he will never give or be allowed to give an order that will get the job done.

What needs to be done?

Leave or start a new mass grave for enemy fighters.

Kill every single member of the Madhi army. The only people with guns/weapons should be our military or the offical Iraqi military / police.

If we find more weapons/fighters coming from Iran we follow them home.

But, but it has been PROVEN time and time again here (and it OT) that an armed populace will curb violence, death rates, mass killings, and maybe even halt the "pussification" of a intelligent non-violent citizens. Based on this proven principle shouldnt we be arming EVERY Iraqi?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Why does the press insist on using the word "tsar" whenever someone is put in charge of something?

"Today Bennie Jenkins was hired by the ACME Sanitation Company. He will be their new toilet mint tsar."

:roll:

It is odd to name them Tsars.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Whooz?

I like the saying ?if you make something idiot proof they make a better idiot.?

BTW wouldn?t it be nice if we all thought that this was a positive step in winning the war and all that? it?s a shame what we have come too.

It is like watching someone get drunk everyday and listening to them tell you they will change.. then they tell us some big announcement.. who the hell cares what they tell you.. it is all BS
Exactly...

"Hi, We're the Republicans. We believe in smaller, less intrusive, less expensive government and lower taxes. We believe in maintaing a strong defensive military and watching out for the interests our soldiers."

What?

Where has the Republican party gone... They have no leadership, no ideas, no plans... They're spent money like (insert witty metaphor here). Bush has ruined the party. And what's worse, not only did the party let him do it, they ran with it all.

Not that the Dems are any better... Hellooooo $2.9 trillion budget! Really... why not just go for the full $3 trillion? That's nice, round number. What gives?

Not to mention they haven't cleaned up any of the things they promised to take care of.

Sooner or later something has to give.

I just need some clarification, are you referring to the current Democratic controlled Congress? Cause I'm no expert but I don't think a few months is enough time to undo 6 years of damage caused by a Republican controlled Congress / president. And I would like to add Clinton did a better job with the budget than either Bush ever did, not that I entirely agree with some of his cuts but he did better overall.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
Given that we already have a Secretary of Defense (formerly the Secretary of War) and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, it sounds like this position is superfluous except for scapegoating purposes.

The planning and execution of the Bush War has been a disaster of epic proportions. Accordingly, neither the departments nor heads of Defense and State are capable of 'fixing' the problems. In fact, they often fail to coordinate/cooperate. Arguably, the purpose of the war czar is to streamline all facets of Messopotamia + Afghanicrap. In essence, if some group is doing great stuff in Anbar then they would get more resources and someone would disseminate those ideas to see if they work in other problem areas.

The problem . . which is basically insurmountable . . . is that there is such a state known as FUBAR. You cannot fix FUBAR. Your options:

1) blame someone else and then leave
2) clean up at the edges, call it success and then leave
3) redefine success and then leave
4) just leave

Bush is arguably doing 1-3 . . . except he's not going to leave. He's going to leave it for the next TWO Presidents.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Whooz?

BTW wouldn?t it be nice if we all thought that this was a positive step in winning the war and all that? it?s a shame what we have come too.
Wlell that's what happens when poeple like you enable idiots like Bush.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Whooz?

Just got two things to say---

(1) They made the ultimate idiot---and his name is GWB---and now he has found a real collection of fellow idiots collectively known as GWB&co.

(2) What is this crapola about winning the war---all possibility of winning was lost when Rummy went in light and the subsequent bumbling just made it TOTALLY certain. We need to be talking about CUTTING OUR LOSSES now. Trying a new idiotic plan loosely called the mini surge just wastes time, lives, and money. The only hope is in diplomacy. A smart move not being tried by the idiots of GWB&co. Congress needs to quit crapping around with GWB----negotiation with GWB is idiotic expectation--its time for congress to start TELLING GWB what to do and any funding has to be made contingent on that---something even all the idiotic bullies in GWB&co. will understand. Its what the American public expected when they voted in 11/06----now get it done congress. Quit crapping around with GWB idiots.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: homercles337
Our political and military leaders have failed us. I do not see anyone currently in power who has the desire to do all that is necessary. Therefore they shall all fail no matter what game is played.

Tsar or not, he will never give or be allowed to give an order that will get the job done.

What needs to be done?

Leave or start a new mass grave for enemy fighters.

Kill every single member of the Madhi army. The only people with guns/weapons should be our military or the offical Iraqi military / police.

If we find more weapons/fighters coming from Iran we follow them home.

But, but it has been PROVEN time and time again here (and it OT) that an armed populace will curb violence, death rates, mass killings, and maybe even halt the "pussification" of a intelligent non-violent citizens. Based on this proven principle shouldnt we be arming EVERY Iraqi?

Iraq, pre-invasion, had the most heavily armed civilian population on earth; enough guns to put the NRA to shame. Yet they had a tyrant overlord. And got invaded. And have endless violent crime.