US named as most hostile place for tourists and visa seekers

Jun 14, 2003
where as in england we basically stand there with open arms shouting "yes you.... you in the hat clingling to the bottom of a lorry, c'mon in ... heres a free house, free mobile, some cash to get u started, some free driving lessons and a free pass to the swimming baths, comon we dont mind, get yourself a blackmarket cash in hand job and your golden mate, haway in"

so they promptly sell the phone, the free pool pass and the driving lessons because hey its much easier to drive without a licence or insurance or tax, get some job that pays cash in hand and continue to sponge off the government.

even people who come on suspicious holidays here get let in.... "we is here for 2 week holiday" "have a nice time" *stamps passport* 2 weeks later they're never seen again and are selling crack to 14 year old girls wanting to be like kate moss.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
hostile...? I'd say the Middle East. You drive down the U.S. highway, you don't worry about roadside bombs compared to the streets of Baghdad.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: fire400
hostile...? I'd say the Middle East. You drive down the U.S. highway, you don't worry about roadside bombs compared to the streets of Baghdad.

Baghdad, the average Middle East city to some people.

amddude

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2006
I have a hard time believing this. I mean, perhaps we don't rush out and greet you like nuts--but indifference != hostile.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
To drive home the point, the Discover America Partnership released the result of a global survey on Monday which showed that international travelers see the United States as the world's worst country in terms of getting a visa and, once you have it, making your way past rude immigration officials.

Kind of misleading title when it only talks about getting a visa and immigration officials. It's not the country and people but getting in here that's the issue. Why don't all visitors just learn to cross in AZ like everyone else?

uberman

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2006
This is disturbing. We have lost our manufacturing base in this country. Our jobs are being outsourced to other countries. Service oriented jobs are growing. Tourism could be our fastest growing part of the economy. We need people to come to America and spend money as tourists. We need jobs and tourism can provide that.

Jun 19, 2004
So, if they don't like it, go home. weeds out the idiots anyway. If you want in bad enough you'll deal with it, those are the type people I'd rather have. Not just any moron who can walk.

TravisT

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2002
Hostile isn't the proper word I wouldn't say. I would also say that Russians have a harder time getting out of their country than getting into another.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
So, if they don't like it, go home. weeds out the idiots anyway. If you want in bad enough you'll deal with it, those are the type people I'd rather have. Not just any moron who can walk.

Have you seen the US test scores compared to other developed countries'? People coming on vacations here are smarter than the average American.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I'm not sure why our customs officials have to be so rude.

I say fire their @sses and send them back to mcdonalds if they can't treat people with respect. Tourism is a very important part of our economy, and visiting the states should be a good experience, not an insulting one.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe

Have you seen the US test scores compared to other developed countries'? People coming on vacations here are smarter than the average American.

And that's why the US has 20 of the top 25 Universities in the world.

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/factover/ch6.htm
A SNAPSHOT OF AMERICAN HIGHER EDUCATION

The United States leads the industrial nations in the proportion of its young people who receive higher education. For some careers -- law, medicine, education, engineering -- a college education is a necessary first step. More than 60 percent of Americans now work in jobs that involve the handling of information, and a high school diploma is seldom adequate for such work. Other careers do not strictly require a college degree, but having one often can improve a person's chances of getting a job and can increase the salary he or she is paid.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002

outside of iraq, a tourist will encounter less crime and generally be safer in any destination in the middle east than in the US.

truth

Cookie

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: brandonbull

Source?
And according to whom?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Cookie
Originally posted by: brandonbull

Source?
And according to whom?

This list shows 18. I had looked at some older data before

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14321230/site/newsweek/

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Originally posted by: LS20

outside of iraq, a tourist will encounter less crime and generally be safer in any destination in the middle east than in the US.

truth

proof? lets say i take a stroll in the bekkaa valley, i don't think i would be too welcome there.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: amish
Originally posted by: LS20

truth

proof? lets say i take a stroll in the bekkaa valley, i don't think i would be too welcome there.

Personally, if I was in Iraq, I'd worry much more about being shot by Americans than Iraqis. They shoot a lot of British military, and even British civilian TV crews.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: amish

http://www.crg-online.com/
"Country Risk Forecast and CityBrief"

for examples.. Qatar:
"Crime levels are significantly lower than in Western cities, though sensible security precautions should be taken. Foreign visitors may run into trouble with the authorities if they transgress Qatar's strict alcohol restrictions."

Turkey:
"Petty crime such as pickpocketing and bag-snatching are the main security hazards for foreign business visitors in Turkey. Crime levels in Istanbul and Izmir are similar to those in many European cities; crime rates are lower in Ankara. Street violence is unusual, but it is unwise to get into disputes with locals."

Oman:
"The country is accustomed to foreign business visitors, who face few security threats. Crime of all types is rare, and anti-Western sentiment is currently far less prevalent than in other Gulf Arab states. However, visitors may encounter hostility if they offend local customs and sensibilities. Occasional demonstrations take place, but these do not pose a significant political or security risk. Detention of foreigners is rare and is only likely for serious crimes, such as alcohol-related offences."

Jordan:
"ordan is usually a safe environment for business travel. High unemployment and rising prices have led to increasing crime,(particularly opportunist crimes such as bag snatching from cars), but levels remain low in comparison with those in western European or North American cities."

etc... many travelers report that they feel much safer traveling in the middle east than they do in large us cities (baltimore, dc, philly, atlanta, detroit, etc). check lonelyplanet forums. now these arent the absolute safest place in the world -- its no luxembourg or sweden or switzerland - but there certainly is a HUGE misunderstanding in the US as to safety in the ME.

fwiw i would travel to iran - yes, iran - ANY day of the week if someone were to hand me tickets..