US man held on Israel spy charge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Deleted member 4644
Originally posted by: Nebor
This is like Nebraska spying on Iowa. Who cares? I trust the Israeli government more than our own.

Are you Jewish? And even if you are, why the immense trust? The government of Israel has made several very bad decisions over the years, and the nation itself would have been destroyed at least once (and maybe three times) without direct U.S. military/logistics intervention. It is hardly a model of excellent decision making.

Furthermore, it has been known to sell U.S. military technologies to other countries, including China. http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/FK19Ag02.html

Their government is far, far more responsible to the people than ours, due to the structure of their government, and the size of their country.

It's regrettable that they've sold some sensitive technologies to China. Hopefully they won't do it again.

D

Deleted member 4644

Well, I won't disagree that their government is fairly responsive to its own citizens. But that does not make it an objectively trustworthy government, nor does it make it a government that the United States should automatically trust or agree with.

I suspect that you are Jewish, simply because you seem to equate what is good for Israel with what is good for the U.S., something that quite a few Jewish Americans do, either consciously or otherwise.

btw, nothing wrong with being Jewish (whether you are or not), I am half Jewish myself. But I try to remain objective when evaluating the policies of nations.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Well, I won't disagree that their government is fairly responsive to its own citizens. But that does not make it an objectively trustworthy government, nor does it make it a government that the United States should automatically trust or agree with.

I suspect that you are Jewish, simply because you seem to equate what is good for Israel with what is good for the U.S., something that quite a few Jewish Americans do, either consciously or otherwise.

btw, nothing wrong with being Jewish (whether you are or not), I am half Jewish myself. But I try to remain objective when evaluating the policies of nations.

I'm an atheist. I was "raised" southern baptist.

The Israeli's are on our side. Their enemies are our enemies, and vice versa.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

You should make fewer assumptions counselor

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Michael Scheuer does a pretty decent job of explaining our otherwise inexplicable inbred relationship with Israel. He traces the roots of the relationship and thoroughly describes the effect of "The Jewish Lobby" within the U.S. (See his latest: Marching Toward Hell)

In a sense, the Israeli lobby that has permeated nearly every aspect of U.S. governance, could be described as one of the greatest long-term Intelligence operations in the history of the world.

The thing that bothers me most about said relationship is the seemingly weak foundation on which it is built. Is it post-holocaust guilt for the U.S. late entrance into WWII? Is it a recognition of ourselves in their struggle against whatever it is they're struggling against? Are they simply a kindred spirit in our eternal battle against fanatical Islam? What is it?!

Another strange relationship is the one we have with the House of Saud. Strangely enough, they both seemed to take root around the same time (early 70's). Unlike the weak foundation of a relationship we have with Israel, however, at least the relationship with Saud is based on something obvious and tangible: oil.

While alternative fuels and other energy solutions will ultimately break us free from our ties with Saud, given the persistence and depth of Israel's bonds with the U.S., I don't believe we'll ever be able to separate ourselves from their grasp.

It's a very glum situation, and one that is apparently off-limits in national politics....

sad that.

Holy shit!

I'm finding myself agreeing with you way too much for my own comfort! ;)

Originally posted by: palehorse74
Originally posted by: maddogchen
if found guilty, he should be executed.

If he is an American citizen, then I would actually agree with his execution. AFAIC, any American citizen caught spying on the U.S. for another country should be executed.

Dang it! There I go again!:Q

Be careful... just when you begin to think that I am a reasonable man, or that I possess any common sense at all, I will STRIKE!!

;)

D

Deleted member 4644

Interesting Nabor. The reason I am skeptical of Israel's good decision making record is because I have met several members of its government, including a cabinet minster, other MKs, diplomats, and couple of the bigger mayors. Frankly, Israel has a very complex political structure, and the centrist parties are often forced to make deals with extremists. Because of that, I think they have done several things that are against their best interests, and certainly they have done many things that are against the best interests of the United States.