US kills 49 innocent civilians for every 1 terrorist via drone strikes.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The point is and remain, American's just love drone strikes, because no US lives ar being risked on the battlefield. Even when we kill a bunch of innocent civilians and babies, we still manage to say, oh well, Coalateral damage is excusable because no American lives are lost.

But when similar tactics are used inside of the USA we clearly think of the injustice and will not permit it. Think of Ruby Ridge and Waco. Or think of grandma, who may happen to walk into a US Walmart to shop at the same time a drone tracked foreign terrorist does the same. In a foreign country most US citizen's knee jerk reaction is to blow up the Store and everyone in it because the certainty of killing the terrorist is worth killing any number of innocent civilians.Grandma should have known better and not associated with terrorists.

But if we did the same on US soil and killed your grandma as a result, US civilian fury would be tearing the heads off of any US idiot who remotely authorized the drone strike.

And even if that somewhat happened after Ruby Ridge, when Tim McVeigh or Foreign terrorists extract the same revenge, we justify our self by either saying what happened? or they just hate our freedoms.

Drones are simply US terrorist tactics that inspire foreign terrorist tactics. We in the USA are supposed to be able to say, we don't let the ends justify the means and therefore we are superior. But it fails to meet the snif test of logic. BUT WE IN THE USA BELIEVE MIGHT MAKES RIGHT as our US foreign policy cred is now at near zero all over the world.

Are we winning yet?

Well then, come up with a non military non diplomatic solution. You say the first doesn't work and the second definitely not.

Besides "suck it up and die", offer a way without referring to Iran or Israel or Korea or other diversions.

Good luck.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
This is because the jihadis intentionally surround themselves with women and children because they are too pussy to fight.

Also, these numbers are BS.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
This is because the jihadis intentionally surround themselves with women and children because they are too pussy to fight.

Also, these numbers are BS.

Those numbers came from the researchers who interviewed special groups with a iron in the fire.

Go into a village that had a missile strike and ask was so and so there. Then ask who else was killed. So and so had s bodyguard that was killed. But also 20-30 of the village men were killed. But those men also happened to be in the same hut with the target is ignored.

Villagers know what answers are expected and what aid is provided ad s result.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
War sucks, innocent people are always killed along with the baddies. The subsequent outrage inspires more to join the baddies. When we pretend that war doesn't kill innocent people we ultimately devalue human life across the board.

That's ok, with a 0:50 Us:them ratio, we can can play that game.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Those numbers came from the researchers who interviewed special groups with a iron in the fire.

Go into a village that had a missile strike and ask was so and so there. Then ask who else was killed. So and so had s bodyguard that was killed. But also 20-30 of the village men were killed. But those men also happened to be in the same hut with the target is ignored.

Villagers know what answers are expected and what aid is provided ad s result.

Yup. The villager's reports are lies. If he lived in their village, they loved him because he was part of their tribe\family. When militants that aren't part of the clan try to move into a village, gun battles break out, and the villagers virtually always win. If the militants are in a village, it's because the villagers accept them.

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
People who harbor and protect terrorist aren't innocent civilians. If they want it to stop, drive out the nut jobs.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Remember that the people on the scene first are the corrupt ISI, who are the people who gave us the intelligence in the first place! You think we know what huts to strike in Pakistan on our own? HAHA!

The remaining people on scene will tell the ISI anything they have to.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
If you want humanity to reach the stars and continue supporting things like gender equality you'd better wrap your head around doing some very, very distasteful shit.

There is a clash of civilizations going on, or rather a clash of civilization vs. outright bronze age barbarism.

Pick a side and grow a set.
Amerika Fuck Yeah!

220px-Kent_State_massacre.jpg

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Sorry Haybasusa, Jusutifiction go over like a lead balloon with me. Let poo poo the US studity and assume just because US drone srikes only kill only Afghan 25 civilian intead of 50, that therefore the Afghah people are serial liars shilling for the Taliban. But why not go whole hog Hayabusa, and question that stats in places like Azizbad. After all when a whole pile of Afghan children under age three, are laid out in a row long row because they were undeniably killed in a US drone strike, how can we tell how many of those 3 year old children were terrorists and which were not? Or what about all those big fat Afghan weddings where drone strikes kill the bulk of the partispants.

As Haybasusa tell us all it all it never happens and is totlly eggagrarted. As sad to tell you, I can only say you are a disguting human being Hayabusa and I wonder how you sleep at night.

Or I can come back in a more pragmatic way, and ask if we are winning yet? And when that US answer is a very clear NO, I also gotta ask you Hayabusa, why embrace a losing strategy???????????????

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Im a republican technically but I am against the war. I can tell you what a conservative will say though:
Blah blah blah patriot acts blah blah fight terrorism no matter the cost blah blah it doesnt matter if we provoked them theyre still evil blah blah 'MURICA

you are not worthy of been a republican. how can you question the war!

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Sorry Haybasusa, Jusutifiction go over like a lead balloon with me. Let poo poo the US studity and assume just because US drone srikes only kill only Afghan 25 civilian intead of 50, that therefore the Afghah people are serial liars shilling for the Taliban. But why not go whole hog Hayabusa, and question that stats in places like Azizbad. After all when a whole pile of Afghan children under age three, are laid out in a row long row because they were undeniably killed in a US drone strike, how can we tell how many of those 3 year old children were terrorists and which were not? Or what about all those big fat Afghan weddings where drone strikes kill the bulk of the partispants.

As Haybasusa tell us all it all it never happens and is totlly eggagrarted. As sad to tell you, I can only say you are a disguting human being Hayabusa and I wonder how you sleep at night.

Or I can come back in a more pragmatic way, and ask if we are winning yet? And when that US answer is a very clear NO, I also gotta ask you Hayabusa, why embrace a losing strategy???????????????

I asked you for a workable alternative. You have none. No surprise.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Can someone remind who the terrorists are again?

Websters.com: Terrorism

Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective. It has been used throughout history by political organizations of both the left and the right, by nationalist and ethnic groups, and by revolutionaries. Although usually thought of as a means of destabilizing or overthrowing existing political institutions, terror also has been employed by governments against their own people to suppress dissent;

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
The point is and remain, American's just love drone strikes, because no US lives ar being risked on the battlefield. Even when we kill a bunch of innocent civilians and babies, we still manage to say, oh well, Coalateral damage is excusable because no American lives are lost.

Hasn't this been true in every war?

See Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, etc...

Can someone explain why they believe this will work? I want one of the neoconservatives (or pro war crowd) to tell me how they think this will play out for the end game.

I believe the drone attacks are being carried out under Obama. Did he suddenly become a neoconservative?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Can someone remind who the terrorists are again?

Websters.com: Terrorism

They started it. We perfected it. Fuck 'em.

Like I said, they're too afraid to let their kids get vaccines. Future terrorists will succumb to painful, crippling disease due to our successful terror campaign against them.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Unfortunately virtually everything concerning drones & their usage is classified, but I'll just say these things are technological marvels. You can read the lettering on the orphanage signs before the hellfire hits.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
49:1 LOL, we might as well get rid of these super smart bombs and technology and go back to Carpet Bombing with B-52s. Worked in Hamburg.

Agent11

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Right, so when Klansmen or some other domestic terrorists move in to your city, you are going to move away immediately, abandoning your property and your job. You're just making stuff up to justify collateral damage.
War sucks, innocent people are always killed along with the baddies. The subsequent outrage inspires more to join the baddies. When we pretend that war doesn't kill innocent people we ultimately devalue human life across the board.

You and I may not agree with them but the KKK isn't a terrorist organization. Even neo Nazi's aren't terrorists. Bad analogy.

nextJin

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2009
Hasn't this been true in every war?

See Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, etc...

I believe the drone attacks are being carried out under Obama. Did he suddenly become a neoconservative?

Ah yes let's blame Obama. As much as I love seeing the replies in this thread those types of responses are just awesome.

Bush would have already invaded Iran, Syria, fucking Turkey and Pakistan.

HayaRider has asked several times now how to fix it, I simple answer leave them the fuck alone and remove ourselves militarily from the region.

We have 2 options continue a war on terror where we continue to increase their numbers and have unending war or we wash our hands of the bullshit.

Only one is dignified, economically viable, and responsible.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Terrorists don't scare me one iota. Even if something on the scale of 9/11 happened every couple of years (ludicrous), it's pathetically tiny compared to more mundane things such as melanoma, car accidents, etc, etc, etc. Basically, the terrorists are weaklings that are only able to threaten us in our heads with fear rather than legitimate risk.

It wasn't that long ago that there were massive dangers in the world, Imperial Japan and Fascist Germany were INFINITELY more devastating than any tinpot terrorist jackoff group. Basically the only reason to be a terrorist is if you're too much of a fucking pussy to actually be meaningful in any way.

Now Russia is ran by a bunch of criminals and mob bosses, and China could get off the rails at some point. They could really make for an insanely bad day if either or both decided to go that path.

Terrorists? Pffft.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

What does that have to do with my question of "Who is the terrorists?"

I don't care if it was my mother or father that is giving the orders. It doesn't change the fact that sending in drones to drop bombs on large numbers of people in the attempt to kill one or a couple of "known" terrorists while sacrificing many others is wrong.

We literally have an army of highly trained elite special forces that have been practicing the skills to go in and take down people like this yet we don't utlize them.

We either need to practice what we preach, that killing innocent civilians to try to get a political message across is wrong and is indeed terrorism and won't be tolerated" or we need to let it be known that "we will resort to the lowest common denominator to try to gain the upper hand no matter how many innocent men, women and children we have to kill to accomplish whatever our goal is".

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
You and I may not agree with them but the KKK isn't a terrorist organization. Even neo Nazi's aren't terrorists. Bad analogy.

I'm guessing that you are white and have never had a masked gang of people burning crosses on your front lawn or dragging your child into a field to beat/mame/murder him or her because of the color of their skin.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I'm guessing that you are white and have never had a masked gang of people burning crosses on your front lawn or dragging your child into a field to beat/mame/murder him or her because of the color of their skin.

Are you saying racial violence is exclusive to whites?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
We literally have an army of highly trained elite special forces that have been practicing the skills to go in and take down people like this yet we don't utlize them.

You really don't know anything about this which is evident from this statement.

The real world problem is that there aren't many options. I wish there were, but there are not.

You do not just send in "elite forces" in and they do not just sit around. This isn't Big Trouble in Little China where people just go in and out like the wind. It's just big trouble.