US Journalists Sentenced to 12 Years in North Korea

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Does the world need yet another documentary on how bad North Korea is?
Couldn't they have just hired North Koreans on the Chinese side to go in?
Were they trying to win the Pulitzer Prize?
Did Al Gore miss being out of the limelight and wanted to do something 'heroic'?

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: edro
Originally posted by: TruePaige
I'm surprised how many of you are okay with North Koreans imprisoning US Citizens in the death camps they call prisons.
I'm surprised at how many liberals hand out free passes to criminals.
They broke the law. They broke a huge law. They broke a huge law in a country that is very well known to be very secretive and hostile.

WTF do you expect North Korea to do?
Give them a green card, driver's license and free health care like the U.S.?

Interesting how you give such deference to North Korean kangaroo courts, assuming that they're guilty simply because the North Koreans say they are. I think it's every bit as likely they were kidnapped in China as that they entered NK.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
I'm surprised how many of you are okay with North Koreans imprisoning US Citizens in the death camps they call prisons.
They broke the law. They broke a huge law. They broke a huge law in a country that is very well known to be very secretive and hostile.

Interesting how you give such deference to North Korean kangaroo courts, assuming that they're guilty simply because the North Koreans say they are. I think it's every bit as likely they were kidnapped in China as that they entered NK.

Do you know how many escaped North Koreans are on the Chinese side? Some of the people go back and forth to give supplies to their families still stuck in the North. My guess is the reporters probably thought they could mix in with this group and go in, as others have done.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Why would you automatically take North Korea's side and assume that they are telling the truth?

I know North Korea.

North Korea is a bitch.

The third person who escaped would have already been on every news channel speaking of any "kidnapping"; his silence is a good indicator that they were in the wrong.

Nobody's taking North Korea's side, the sentence obviously didn't fit the crime. But I don't feel sorry for people who get stung while playing with hornets, it's the families of these selfish morans that will suffer the most.

Dude if you escaped something like this you'd be cowering in a corner thinking they'd be coming to get you.

Our news casters have been the eyes and ears of america through ALL OUR WARS even. They put their lives at risk everyday.

I am pretty sure you are just playing a troll-tard here, but I could be wrong and you are all bent out of shape that these reporters should have been trying for upskirt pics of Hannah Montana or Adam Lambert for you.

Yes, there's good logic... a rogue communist country just kidnapped 2 Americans and I'm going to be so scared and fearful in my own country that I wouldn't say a peep. It's time for you to donate your brain to science, it's a slight upgrade for med school students relegated to cats.

Feb 10, 2000
Why would you automatically take North Korea's side and assume that they are telling the truth?

I know North Korea.

North Korea is a bitch.

The third person who escaped would have already been on every news channel speaking of any "kidnapping"; his silence is a good indicator that they were in the wrong.

Nobody's taking North Korea's side, the sentence obviously didn't fit the crime. But I don't feel sorry for people who get stung while playing with hornets, it's the families of these selfish morans that will suffer the most.

Dude if you escaped something like this you'd be cowering in a corner thinking they'd be coming to get you.

Our news casters have been the eyes and ears of america through ALL OUR WARS even. They put their lives at risk everyday.

I am pretty sure you are just playing a troll-tard here, but I could be wrong and you are all bent out of shape that these reporters should have been trying for upskirt pics of Hannah Montana or Adam Lambert for you.

Yes, there's good logic... a rogue communist country just kidnapped 2 Americans and I'm going to be so scared and fearful in my own country that I wouldn't say a peep. It's time for you to donate your brain to science, it's a slight upgrade for med school students relegated to cats.

Has it ever occurred to you that the State Department won't want this guy speaking about what happened? If he comes out and publicly insists that NK kidnapped these journalists inside Chinese territory (which IS what he says happened), it will not only make a negotiated release impossible, it will escalate this into an enormous international incident. Far better to let the diplomats do their jobs. I bet these young women are released within a month or two, and we will never know what price was paid by the US government.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

I know North Korea.

North Korea is a bitch.

Has it ever occurred to you that the State Department won't want this guy speaking about what happened? If he comes out and publicly insists that NK kidnapped these journalists inside Chinese territory (which IS what he says happened), it will not only make a negotiated release impossible, it will escalate this into an enormous international incident. Far better to let the diplomats do their jobs. I bet these young women are released within a month or two, and we will never know what price was paid by the US government.

source?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

i disappoint.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
so much for Nationalism...anyway....did you think that JUST PERHAPS, hiring a North Korean may provide a slightly biased account?

Normally our press and medics are afforded certain leniencies.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Dari

source?

Just one of a skillion sources on Google News (in this case ABC News Australia:

US journalists sent to North Korean gulag

By North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy for PM

Two US journalists have been sentenced to 12 years in a North Korean labour camp for so-called "hostile acts" against the closed communist state.

Laura Ling and Euna Lee were convicted of illegally crossing into North Korea after a closed five-day trial.

The two journalists were arrested 12 weeks ago while producing a documentary on refugees fleeing the Stalinist state for Current TV, a Californian station co-founded by former US vice-president Al Gore.

They were detained along the Tumen River, which marks part of the border between China and North Korea.

The sentences are certain to heighten tension between the US and North Korea, which are running high after the communist regime conducted a nuclear test last month.

A spokesman for the US State Department says Washington is deeply concerned by the sentences handed out to the two reporters.

Pyongyang says the women illegally set foot on North Korean territory but supporters of the journalists say they were on the Chinese side of the border, and that has been backed up by their cameraman, who managed to escape.

He has backed their story that North Korean border guards arrested the pair on the Chinese side of the border.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

source?

Just one of a skillion sources on Google News (in this case ABC News Australia:

US journalists sent to North Korean gulag

By North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy for PM

Two US journalists have been sentenced to 12 years in a North Korean labour camp for so-called "hostile acts" against the closed communist state.

Laura Ling and Euna Lee were convicted of illegally crossing into North Korea after a closed five-day trial.

The two journalists were arrested 12 weeks ago while producing a documentary on refugees fleeing the Stalinist state for Current TV, a Californian station co-founded by former US vice-president Al Gore.

They were detained along the Tumen River, which marks part of the border between China and North Korea.

The sentences are certain to heighten tension between the US and North Korea, which are running high after the communist regime conducted a nuclear test last month.

A spokesman for the US State Department says Washington is deeply concerned by the sentences handed out to the two reporters.

Pyongyang says the women illegally set foot on North Korean territory but supporters of the journalists say they were on the Chinese side of the border, and that has been backed up by their cameraman, who managed to escape.

He has backed their story that North Korean border guards arrested the pair on the Chinese side of the border.

So there was a cameraman and a producer at the scene but only the cameraman is speaking to the media? Doesn't that contradict what you said earlier about there being an international incident if people say that they were arrested on the Chinese side of the border? Why would the US Government let him speak but not let the producer speak?

Feb 10, 2000

So there was a cameraman and a producer at the scene but only the cameraman is speaking to the media? Doesn't that contradict what you said earlier about there being an international incident if people say that they were arrested on the Chinese side of the border? Why would the US Government let him speak but not let the producer speak?

The cameraman has not granted public interviews, though apparently his account of what happened has been leaked. I don't know of a producer being there - as far as I have read the only persons present were the two reporters and the cameraman.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

The cameraman has not granted public interviews, though apparently his account of what happened has been leaked. I don't know of a producer being there - as far as I have read the only persons present were the two reporters and the cameraman.

Not to mention anything the cameraman might have said before the US State dept told him they'd rather he stay quiet for the good of the journalists.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006

To repeat:

--

I know North Korea.

North Korea is a bitch.

--

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005

I know North Korea.

North Korea is a bitch.

Yeah, I hope we don't supply health care to those stupid hornet-stung people either. It's their fault.

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
Originally posted by: JLee
12 years hard labor for entering a country illegally?

:Q

America could learn something from this.

Uh Don't we already do that? except the people are trying to get here illegally in order to do hard labor! HAHA!

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
Newsflash.

Two women were just freed. Seen boarding a plane with Bill Clinton.

(out of the pot and into the fire)

No Shens