US Journalists Sentenced to 12 Years in North Korea

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: OCguy
Originally posted by: iFX

What a simple mind you have.

Ahh the personal attacks come out, not that I'm surprised.

With logic like yours, it is probably a good idea that you stick to OT for any sort of political debate, or basically anything that involves more brain power than asking for pics of someone's sister.[/quote]

How much brain power? Perhaps more than you used hosing these quotes up?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

What a simple mind you have.

Ahh the personal attacks come out, not that I'm surprised.

With logic like yours, it is probably a good idea that you stick to OT for any sort of political debate, or basically anything that involves more brain power than asking for pics of someone's sister.

How much brain power? Perhaps more than you used hosing these quotes up?

:laugh: :thumbsup:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
This summarizes the typical progression of GOP responses to any situation involving Obama.

Originally posted by: Right-Wing Troll
The silence by the O Admin and the media is deafening. Lib reporters who work for Al Gore detained in NK for journalism and there's zero coverage. I guess nothing bad happens during the Obama reign.
Newscaster: The Obama administration announced it is engaged in diplomatic talks with North Korea to secure the release of two US journalists.

NOBama is all talk, no walk. Is he going to kiss Kimmy Jong's ass and bake him a cake? Nuke NKorea into glass parking lot!!1
Newscaster: The Obama administration announced that the United States is going to war with North Korea over the unlawful detention of two US journalists.

I thought Obummer was going to get us out of wars, not start new ones! Change?!?

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton
This summarizes the typical progression of GOP responses to any situation involving Obama.

The silence by the O Admin and the media is deafening. Lib reporters who work for Al Gore detained in NK for journalism and there's zero coverage. I guess nothing bad happens during the Obama reign.
Newscaster: The Obama administration announced it is engaged in diplomatic talks with North Korea to secure the release of two US journalists.

NOBama is all talk, no walk. Is he going to kiss Kimmy Jong's ass and bake him a cake? Nuke NKorea into glass parking lot!!1
Newscaster: The Obama administration announced that the United States is going to war with North Korea over the unlawful detention of two US journalists.

I thought Obummer was going to get us out of wars, not start new ones! Change?!?

Straw man. Go back to P&N, troll.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: MotF Bane
Originally posted by: JLee
12 years hard labor for entering a country illegally?

:Q

America could learn something from this.

I don't like the idea of putting 15-20 million people in jail for a decade at $75k per year per person. Better to ship them back to where they came from and discourage them from entering illegally to begin with, like having the military protect the border - that is one of their jobs, after all.

I'm sure the hard labor would cancel out the cost ;).

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

I'm butthurt that Obama is president :( :( :(

Fixed

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
news says they are algore bots. algore to the rescue. mabe they'll throw him in the Kimshe too.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Phokus

Straw man. Go back to P&N, troll.

I'm a troll.

Fixed for accuracy.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
They blow the shit out of Iraq and get nothing good out of it. How fucking stupid can the government be to not send some troops over there to get these journalists back?

Fucking ridiculous. That Korean fuck is getting a free pass by the US.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Might as well lock this up mods, it's turning into a giant pile of shit thanks to a few fools.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: scorpious
They blow the shit out of Iraq and get nothing good out of it. How fucking stupid can the government be to not send some troops over there to get these journalists back?

Fucking ridiculous. That Korean fuck is getting a free pass by the US.

What he is doing is using this for a negotiation tool for himself. His country is hurting. He will talk with officials and tell them he will have the reporters released IF he gets this in return and then he will lie and jerk the rug out from under them the next chance he has after he gets what he wants. He does this over and over and over.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: clamum
Might as well lock this up mods, it's turning into a giant pile of shit thanks to a few fools.
Those "few fools" have a hard time conTROLLing themselves.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: scott916
There are many idiots in this thread that dont realize that there is a big question as to if they were even in N Korea when they were arrested.

The America haters are so quick to put the blame on an American it is insane.

This is what I've heard as well. I believe they were reporting and filming right on the border with China, and it's difficult to say whose land they were currently on.

Is it? The borders are clearly defined. You're telling me in 2009 when traveling in another country a person doesn't have a hand held GPS and a map with them? If so you would know the instant you crossed the border.

eh, fail. From the AP:

"The North Korean-Chinese border is long, porous and not well demarcated and thus a common route for escape from the North."

i.e.
"what's the GPS say?"
"well we're at 38 degrees north, 22.12 west"
"great, which country does that put us in?"
"fuck if i know."

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: clamum
Originally posted by: Anonemous
Uh, weren't the ladies lured near the border of China/NK and kidnapped by the NK border guards to be used as examples of journalists who expose the countries' atrocities? No one knows the entire story here.
Exactly. So far from what I've read, the circumstances regarding exactly what the f happened are not clear at all. lol... doesn't matter to the experts here though.

Exactly! 2 women travel half way around the world, intent on exposing what it's like in NK, but intent on standing 100 yards away from NK, safely inside China. It's only logical.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Man, those N Koreans are hardcore about criminals. Why don't we have that kinda system here?

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Dari

Perhaps it's because they were in the country illegally?

regardless you would expect them to yell bloody murder and put political and diplomatic pressure to save their own lib brethren.

The silence of the editor is what makes me think they were up to something illegal. If not, he'd be in the media talking about this.

They've probably abandoned the women for now.

My guess is Obama directed the producer that was returned not to talk.

I don't think we'll know even close to the whole story here until the two women are back in the US. I'm sure the producer has given his explanation of what happened to the US government and that's what matters for now. If they were not in NK when they were captured and he starts making waves, it could possibly make the talks to get the two women back worse between NK and the US. The best option right now is to act humble, ask forgiveness for the illegal border crossing, and let NK look like the good guy. When they get back, that's when they do all the news interviews giving their side of the story and sell their book/movie rights. Let NK pretend to be the "good guy" by commuting the sentence of the two journalists. It's not like the world is going to be tricked into thinking NK is nice now.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Anonemous
Uh, weren't the ladies lured near the border of China/NK and kidnapped by the NK border guards to be used as examples of journalists who expose the countries' atrocities? No one knows the entire story here.

I think if that were the case, then China has some explaining to do. Do you think China would let that happen? It's more likely the women were poking thier noses around where they weren't supposed to and got caught breaking the law.
Don't go to another country and expect to act like you are above their law. It may sound crazy to you, but that's their law. They broke the law, they serve the time. If they were abducted then that is paramount to an act of war and should be treated as such. Bending to the will of terroristic actions and wanting to find a "diplomatic" resolution only shows weakness and shows you are nothing more than a doormat. N. Korea needs a punch in the throat.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Assuming they crossed over illegaly, my own disdain for those who refuse to respect our borders forces me to respect North Korea's borders.

Like plenty of people have said, everyone knows just what they're getting into when they mess with North Korea.

Feb 10, 2000
I guess I'm not surprised that some members here (who seem to have a totally unquestioning perspective toward the law and law enforcement) would think this was either funny or no big deal. I totally disagree. It is still unclear whether these women even entered NK, and even if they did, 12 years is just a ridiculous punishment. NK is a dictatorship led by an evil madman, and I will never laugh at anyone who ends up in NK's crosshairs.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Originally posted by: JLee
12 years hard labor for entering a country illegally?

:Q

America could learn something from this.

Yeah you get less time for manslaughter, with a comparatively cozy room and TV.