US importing ebola

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I hope with the proper care that both patients can recover. I feel this is the right thing to do and the Hospital seems to be taking all the proper procedures to make sure the patients stay isolated.

On a practical note I feel that at some point Ebola is going to make its way to the US and in a uncontrolled fashion, somebody with the disease gets on a International flight and arrives. By bringing both of these patients over to the US they get the best supportive care possible to get there bodies the best chance to fight the infection. Also this gives some exposure to the US medical community about Ebola in a controlled situation. This also test out the isolation facilities and the procedures in the US. I am sure that everything is being documented and after everything is over will be studied and put into a paper to be distributed. I would rather these type of procedures get tested out in the US in a controlled situation and maybe discover any issues than in a situation where we have a outbreak in the US.

Ebola doesn't spread via aerosols. I can see an undiagnosed Ebola case arriving in the U.S. and perhaps infecting members of his household (if they shared utensils or towels). And maybe the first few health care workers to treat this family might get infected, and their own family members. But eventually the cause would be identified, contact tracing would be performed, and isolation would prevent further spread. The chances of an epidemic of Ebola in the West is essentially non-existent.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
^^not sure of that 50% figure. Everything I've seen is close to 90% fatality rate but that is being treated in a shithole place. So maybe it is 50% in good conditions.

There are several strains of Ebola. At least one strain is usually around 90% (Zaire), but Sudan seems to be about 50-60%.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
And what is funny is that Emory treated a patient years ago in the same unit that had Marburg.

Marburg is another hemorrhagic virus, you could call it a cousin of Ebola. Not sure why people are freaking out now.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Sounds like if they survive, we just imported one of the few people with antibodies to make a vaccine. CDC win?

Sounds like that may have been the plan. To give them tons of support treatment to get them through it and use their antibodies to make a vaccine.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The United States could use the practice at treating Ebola in a proper environment. I do not mind the safe transport of Americans in order to try and save their lives.

If Ebloa hits our streets, it most likely will not come from the CDC or from these men under quarantine.

Feb 4, 2009
Sounds like if they survive, we just imported one of the few people with antibodies to make a vaccine. CDC win?

Sounds like that may have been the plan. To give them tons of support treatment to get them through it and use their antibodies to make a vaccine.

The guy Doctor was given a transfusion from a kid who survived it. I'd bet there are already blood samples floating around.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
This is either going to bring out (a) All the conspiracy theory nutjobs or (b) the Zombie Apocalypse.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
If you want to go to a shithole like Africa to help people that is great.

If you want to be a shit-head and insult an entire Continent, that's just great, too.

boy_wearing_dunce_cap_and_frowning_in_classroom_BLD029249.jpg

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

8-4-2014

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/08...ount-sinai-hospital-for-possible-ebola-virus/

Man Being Tested At Mount Sinai Hospital For Possible Ebola Virus

The man arrived at the East Harlem medical center’s emergency room early Monday morning with high fever and gastrointestinal symptoms.

He said specimens have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control, and hospital officials hope to identify the disease within 24 to 48 hours.
Boal and Reich declined to release information on the patient.

The current outbreak is the largest since the disease first emerged in Africa nearly 40 years ago.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization announced Monday that the death toll has increased from 729 to 887 deaths in Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nigeria,

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
CNN had some post about how an experimental drug was used and actually saved the male Doctors life before he even got on the plane.

both of them I believe, I'd have to go look for it, but seems they've found something that works.

I'm sure they are working on it as we speak.

Last edited: