US House to vote on marijuana legalization

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
more "new ideas" that the libertarian party has been fighting for for years and years. just like ending qualified immunity, asset forfeiture, among other things.

maybe it will at least get he senate to pass the states bill, Gardner and Warren are the sponsors.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
1) The House is laying down legislative markers for 2021. They know that the GOP senate isn't going to pass this.

2) Pretty good odds Biden will be asked about this at which point he can say he'd favor it under the guise of "decriminalization".

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
more "new ideas" that the libertarian party has been fighting for for years and years. just like ending qualified immunity, asset forfeiture, among other things.

maybe it will at least get he senate to pass the states bill, Gardner and Warren are the sponsors.

Have libertarians successfully controlled either chamber of Congress and effect change to this extent?

I think you and I agree that MJ should be off the controlled substances list. It should most certainly never been on as a schedule 1 substance.

Removing it is a win for all Americans, although I doubt many won't see more progress as a win.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
let us into the debates and remove the regulations that the D and R parties have put up to block us from ballot access and then we can talk about who controls everything.

yes we agree on ending the drug war.

Have libertarians successfully controlled either chamber of Congress and effect change to this extent?

I think you and I agree that MJ should be off the controlled substances list. It should most certainly never been on as a schedule 1 substance.

Removing it is a win for all Americans, although I doubt many won't see more progress as a win.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
let us into the debates and remove the regulations that the D and R parties have put up to block us from ballot access and then we can talk about who controls everything.

Sure, end the drug war and legalize it all. Fund social assistance and REAL drug education. The best drug education I received was going with my mom to help at halfway houses.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
let us into the debates and remove the regulations that the D and R parties have put up to block us from ballot access and then we can talk about who controls everything. -- what regulations? None......

you are being discriminated against by either party! Your agenda is so un popular nobody except somebody who is looney will totally support a Libertarian ....sorry!!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
you are being discriminated against by either party! Your agenda is so un popular nobody except somebody who is looney will totally support a Libertarian ....sorry!!

so you are totally happy with what we have going on now. got it.

you keep electing the old white guys. i'll vote for a highly educated woman.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Why?? The percentage of Libertarians is miniscule........
Less than 5% of voting Americans are libertarian. That is NOT because they are being regulated! Next thing you know NAZI`s will ask to be recognized and allowed into the debares,,,,my bad Republicans are already allowed in to the debates!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
so you are totally happy with what we have going on now. got it.

you keep electing the old white guys. i'll vote for a highly educated woman.
No!! But the Libertarians offer nothing! If they did the party would be growing instead of just stagnating!
You show me a libertarian woman or person of color who can get the required amount of votes to win and I am sure people would vote! But as it is the Libertarian party has nothing to offer....so sorry@!!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
yet we keep seeing things the libertarians have been fighting for for years become part of the platforms of other parties... the party is growing. in the last 10 years the # of people registered as libertarians has increased 92%. R is down 5% and D is down 8% independent is up 19%

i cant show you people who can get the # of votes needed to win because you wont allow them in the polls that determine the support % to get into the debates. how can you poll at 15% when you are not in the poll? I can show you people who are patriots and have great ideas, some of which you have coopted into major party platforms. I can show you highly educated and diverse candidates as well.

so you are not happy about it, and you refuse to do anything to change it and antagonize anyone who does want to change it. what a conflicted place your brain must be.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
yet we keep seeing things the libertarians have been fighting for for years become part of the platforms of other parties... the party is growing. in the last 10 years the # of people registered as libertarians has increased 92%. R is down 5% and D is down 8% independent is up 19%

i cant show you people who can get the # of votes needed to win because you wont allow them in the polls that determine the support % to get into the debates. how can you poll at 15% when you are not in the poll? I can show you people who are patriots and have great ideas, some of which you have coopted into major party platforms. I can show you highly educated and diverse candidates as well.

so you are not happy about it, and you refuse to do anything to change it and antagonize anyone who does want to change it. what a conflicted place your brain must be.
You say we?? who is we? I am sorry that is what is wrong with your party! You make claims as if the libertarians are on the forefront of all these issues when if that was the case quite a few people would know about these forefront issues!
I am sorry, the truth is there are not enough libertarians to make a difference and until looney toon Libertarians like Rand Paul and a few others are weeded out, your party will fo nowhere!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
You say we?? who is we? I am sorry that is what is wrong with your party! You make claims as if the libertarians are on the forefront of all these issues when if that was the case quite a few people would know about these forefront issues!
I am sorry, the truth is there are not enough libertarians to make a difference and until looney toon Libertarians like Rand Paul and a few others are weeded out, your party will fo nowhere!

quite a few people know libertarians have been campaigning for decriminalization for decades. i'm not sure how you don't know that. it must be quite a bubble. i'm not sure advice should be taken from someone who does not know about policies like asset forfeiture and qualified immunity. my stats are good, you can look them up.

royal we.

The TRUTH! i say its the truth, so it must be! sounds a lot like an IMHO to me, but i don't think H would be a good descriptor for your opinions.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
quite a few people know libertarians have been campaigning for decriminalization for decades. i'm not sure how you don't know that. it must be quite a bubble. i'm not sure advice should be taken from someone who does not know about policies like asset forfeiture and qualified immunity. my stats are good, you can look them up.

royal we.

The TRUTH! i say its the truth, so it must be! sounds a lot like an IMHO to me, but i don't think H would be a good descriptor for your opinions.
Truth is the truth! Most people who claim to be Libertarians are silent or not involved in the party! But id you feel thst being a Libertarian is cool well be cool!!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
oh yea... you mentioned Rand Paul...

what a loon! fighting for justice reform, the end of no knock warrants ( way before it was cool) and has been a champion of justice reform in both houses.

also:
the democratic party has sued 3 Texas green party candidates and the courts have removed them from the ballots.
Republicans have sued to remove 41 Texas libertarian candidates, but lost the suit.
all on the last day to file.

in AR, the Gov. signed a bill in direct violation of prior court rulings that increased the # of signatures need to get on the ballot for minor parties ( R and D have no such requirement) from 10000 to 3% of the # of total votes in the past gubernatorial election, the same threshold that was struck down in an early court ruling.

just a smattering of what you think does not exist.

you are with Biden though, TRUTH over facts.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
oh yea... you mentioned Rand Paul...

what a loon! fighting for justice reform, the end of no knock warrants ( way before it was cool) and has been a champion of justice reform in both houses.

also:
the democratic party has sued 3 Texas green party candidates and the courts have removed them from the ballots.
Republicans have sued to remove 41 Texas libertarian candidates, but lost the suit.
all on the last day to file.

in AR, the Gov. signed a bill in direct violation of prior court rulings that increased the # of signatures need to get on the ballot for minor parties ( R and D have no such requirement) from 10000 to 3% of the # of total votes in the past gubernatorial election, the same threshold that was struck down in an early court ruling.

just a smattering of what you think does not exist.
That was purly a political stunt! He knew nothing would come of it! Your so confident that Libertarians are the good guys.........that you actually have to take whatever you find and try to make the shit smell like a rose...

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
What is the obsession with libertarians in relation to this issue? We legalized it here in CA and I guaranty you the vast majority of those voting in favor of it were not libertarians. Same in all the other states which legalized it.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Rand Paul isn't even a libertarian let alone a Libertarian; he's just another Republican hack. His dad was somewhat libertarian on certain issues but was also possibly the least effective representative to ever sit in Congress.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
The problem is there is a big and influential section of society is employed in the drug war and will bitterly oppose it. That's the reason this wasn't done back in the 1970s. A lot of police, judges, district attorneys, prison guards (and for profit prisons), etc. are employed at least in part because pot is illegal.

They, of course, won't frame their opposition in such crass financial terms. Morality, gateway drug, etc. will be the main arguments.

As I recall Donnie at one point flirted with supporting legalization. Imagine if he jumped on the bandwagon-MItch would have to allow a vote. Even in such a scenario I can't imagine such a simple solution-and a solution that doesn't involve new tax revenues to the feds.

Reactions: ch33zw1z