US House to vote on marijuana legalization

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The problem is there is a big and influential section of society is employed in the drug war and will bitterly oppose it. That's the reason this wasn't done back in the 1970s. A lot of police, judges, district attorneys, prison guards (and for profit prisons), etc. are employed at least in part because pot is illegal.

They, of course, won't frame their opposition in such crass financial terms. Morality, gateway drug, etc. will be the main arguments.

As I recall Donnie at one point flirted with supporting legalization. Imagine if he jumped on the bandwagon-MItch would have to allow a vote. Even in such a scenario I can't imagine such a simple solution-and a solution that doesn't involve new tax revenues to the feds.

MJ is really an ez game for the CJ system.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The problem is there is a big and influential section of society is employed in the drug war and will bitterly oppose it. That's the reason this wasn't done back in the 1970s. A lot of police, judges, district attorneys, prison guards (and for profit prisons), etc. are employed at least in part because pot is illegal.

They, of course, won't frame their opposition in such crass financial terms. Morality, gateway drug, etc. will be the main arguments.

As I recall Donnie at one point flirted with supporting legalization. Imagine if he jumped on the bandwagon-MItch would have to allow a vote. Even in such a scenario I can't imagine such a simple solution-and a solution that doesn't involve new tax revenues to the feds.
If Donny jumped on that band wagon he would for sure get the MJ voters...lolol.......but the prisons would be empty, putting a lot of people out of work!!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
If Donny jumped on that band wagon he would for sure get the MJ voters...lolol.......but the prisons would be empty, putting a lot of people out of work!!!
But with that said...you can`t trust Donny and ho many times have people campaigned on something and then reneged after being elected!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If anyone hasn't seen these, I recommend them

1. Netflix - The Business of Drugs
2. History Channel - Hooked
3. PBS Prohibition