US Govt files Antitrust Lawsuit Against Budweiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
2-1-2013

http://kplr11.com/2013/02/01/beer-m...titrust-lawsuit-against-anheuser-busch-inbev/

Beer Monopoly: US Govt. Files Antitrust Lawsuit Against Anheuser-Busch InBev

The Justice Department is taking on beer. It filed a civil antitrust lawsuit against Anheuser-Busch InBev because the company wants to merge with Mexico’s Modelo, which makes Corona.

The Department says this merger would mean less competition and higher prices.

A deal would result in one company controlling about 46-percent of the American beer market.

ABI already owns about half of Modelo, which brews the popular Corona brand. The Justice Department’s antitrust lawsuit accuses ABI of trying to eliminate “a significant competitive threat” from Modelo’s Corona brands by purchasing the rest of the Mexican company for a proposed $20.1 billion.

That deal would boost ABI’s share of the U.S. beer market grow from about 39% to 46%, the lawsuit states. Add that to the 29% already controlled by No. 2 brewer MillerCoors, and two companies would split about three-quarters of the $80 billion field, said Bill Baer, the head of the Justice Department’s antitrust division.

“Beer prices have gone up in recent years because of this high concentration,” Baer said Thursday morning. “ABI and MillerCoors have been able to drive prices up year after year.”

To avoid antitrust concerns, ABI had proposed selling off Modelo’s half-interest in its U.S. importer. But Justice argued that would produce only “a facade of competition” while eliminating a “a particularly aggressive competitor” from the market.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
I doubt that that pig-piss beer will drive out competition. That's the only beer I have ever drank that can actually give you a hangover while you are drinking it.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I wonder why 39 to 46% denotes anti trust when Modelo is practically an also-ran. Why isn't ABI already considered too big?
I suppose it's similar to ATT trying to buy Tmobile in the mobile phone arena.

ciba

Apr 27, 2004
In an industry with low barriers to entry, I see no problem with this. I would see a problem if they take unlawful action related to their retailers.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Corona doesn't compete against anything else. That's why you buy Corona when you want a Corona.

Now I want a Corona.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How is what budwiser doing different from Bank of America? At least Budwiser is producing something that people want to buy. Banks just make people suffer.

En Bev or whatever budwiser is now.

Last edited:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
In an industry with low barriers to entry, I see no problem with this. I would see a problem if they take unlawful action related to their retailers.

The barriers to enter the distribution chains are very high. There is a ton of anti-competitive practices in the beer and liquor distribution systems.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Should charge the federal govt with anti-trust violations for the health care industry takeover. How is that legal?

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I doubt that that pig-piss beer will drive out competition. That's the only beer I have ever drank that can actually give you a hangover while you are drinking it.

What do you expect when idiots who should know better put beer in clear bottles. Can you say instant skunk.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I'm not sure you are aware of how big InBev is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch_InBev

25% global market share and 49% of the US already. This would substantially increase their market share in the US once again.

Their brands:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InBev_brands

They're going to have to give up some brands to the DOJ to get this approved.

ciba

Apr 27, 2004
The barriers to enter the distribution chains are very high. There is a ton of anti-competitive practices in the beer and liquor distribution systems.

Agreed. I meant low barriers to production - hence the recent boom in craft brewers.

Also agreed. Of course, many of those anti-competitive practices are perpetrated by the state.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Which competitor is trying to use government as a tool this time? Must be Miller?

Thank you US Gov't for looking out for Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.