US = Food stamps nation and is growing and growing and...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
It is a damned shame this country moved away from the eugenics movement.

At its peak of popularity eugenics was supported by a wide variety of prominent people, including Winston Churchill,[40] Margaret Sanger,[41][42] Marie Stopes, H. G. Wells, Theodore Roosevelt, George Bernard Shaw, John Maynard Keynes, John Harvey Kellogg, Linus Pauling[43] and Sidney Webb.[44][45][46] Many members of the American Progressive Movement supported eugenics, enticed by its scientific trappings and its promise to cure social ills.[citation needed] Its most infamous proponent and practitioner was, however, Adolf Hitler who praised and incorporated eugenic ideas in Mein Kampf and emulated Eugenic legislation for the sterilization of "defectives" that had been pioneered in the United States.

When the state actively involves itself in eugenics as Herr Hitler, the results aren't so good for those marked as unfit. Geo, how would you feel if the government decided that you were "undesirable"?

I would be OK with eugenics if I got to do the deciding, I would be against it if anybody else got to do the deciding. Just kidding....

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
When the state actively involves itself in eugenics as Herr Hitler, the results aren't so good for those marked as unfit. Geo, how would you feel if the government decided that you were "undesirable"?

I would be OK with eugenics if I got to do the deciding, I would be against it if anybody else got to do the deciding. Just kidding....

Well I am thinking whoever is picked they could hardly do a worse job then letting people like the woman in this story decide who to have children with:

http://www.npr.org/2012/07/11/155103593/to-beat-odds-poor-single-moms-need-wide-safety-net

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012

Well I guess we should let our entire species slip into dysgenic hell because Hitler.

I'm happy to be in such auspicious company as Winston Churchill, Margaret Sanger, Marie Stopes, H. G. Wells, Theodore Roosevelt, George Bernard Shaw, John Maynard Keynes, John Harvey Kellogg, Linus Pauling and Sidney Webb.

I'm also happy to share a lot of views on demographic trends with the founding fathers, for that matter.

The reason they supported it is because, long term... the only alternative is the fall of civilization. Really.

Just a matter of time.

So I have no shame sharing a view with those people. As for a scenario where I was deemed unfit? Well, based on my personal health, lack of disease history, lack of deformity, and my IQ - it would need to be a very, very stringent standard for that determination to be made about me. If it were, though, that would mean that the species stood to be improved even more than what I was thinking of. So, I'd take one for the team and accept my sterilization.