US finds its own 'doomsday' weapons

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Yahoo Aussie, NZ
(excerpt for the poor souls too lazy to read Yahoo articles)
The Pentagon has finally discovered evidence of weapons of mass destruction - buried in a US Army base 80 kms from Washington DC.

Investigators at Fort Detrick in Maryland have unearthed more than 2,000 tons of hazardous waste including 100 vials of anthrax and other dangerous bacteria.

"The documentation for where this came from doesn't exist," Lieutenant Colonel Donald Archibald, Fort Detrick's director of safety, told the Washington Post newspaper.

"You never know what's there until you start digging," said Colonel John Ball, the Fort Detrick garrison commander. "We've generally ruled out finding a nuclear weapon."

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
Damn that is what happened to all that stuff Saddam was supposed to have!

Damn, I nominate that for stupid post of the day.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: etech

Damn, I nominate you for stupid forum member of the day.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Feel free.

From the story which I bothered to read.

They are believed to be left over from a US germ warfare program that was ended in 1969.

I know, you all want to bash the US so much but try to keep the details in the same decade at least.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000

Feel free.

They are believed to be left over from a US germ warfare program that was ended in 1969.

I know, you all want to bash the US so much but try to keep the details in the same decade at least.

It was a joke, something requiring humor. For you this applies

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Hey Hay, you know etech has trouble with jokes right? Humor in general seems to elude him... :p

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, jokes seem to be following me around tonight.

Now can we have this forum for serious discussions and leave the jokes and nefs in Off-topic?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Actually, jokes seem to be following me around tonight.

Now can we have this forum for serious discussions and leave the jokes and nefs in Off-topic?

We could, but politics and the discussion around them seems to be dominated by bitter people who cannot find humor in what is often a comic undertaking. BBD started this thread, and if he finds my posting here objectionable, he can tell me to STFU. Anyway, I bow out now, because this has gone off his subject. I leave you to yourself.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Well since you bothered to read the article . . .

Last summer, Cheney believed Iraq would have nukes by the end of 2002. At the UN, Colin touted not only anodized aluminum tubes for a nuke program but enriched nuke fuels from the Dark Continent. I believe Bush said he had not made up his mind about invading until March.
rolleye.gif

The Pentagon said it had no record of the biological agents dumped at the US site, which is being excavated as part of a $US15 million ($A22.94 million) clean-up of the area.
Iraqi: So until you prove all your chem/bio weapons are destroyed we will impose sanctions on your country.
US: What do you mean PROVE?! We have no records to prove it . . . take our word for it . . .

"The documentation for where this came from doesn't exist," Lieutenant Colonel Donald Archibald, Fort Detrick's director of safety, told the Washington Post newspaper.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
We found the smoking gun!

Under the Bush regime not the saddam regime of course! :D

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hayabusarider
I know you said you bowed out, but explain if you care to, for us all "humorously challenged persons".

What was so funny about what you posted that it needed to be posted in this thread?

BBD,
Doesn't your article prove how easy it is to hide weapons and how hard it is to find them?

Insane3D

me

No.

As long as we all know what you are and what you are doing in this forum as you have just pointed out we will know how seriously to treat your posts.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I suppose this excuses the weapons that Iraq was supposed to have destroyed in 1991, as well as the alleged chemical attack on the Kurdish population in the eighties, as, by my calculation, both of those events were more than a decade ago, right?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Hayabusarider
I know you said you bowed out, but explain if you care to, for us all "humorously challenged persons".

What was so funny about what you posted that it needed to be posted in this thread?

BBD,
Doesn't your article prove how easy it is to hide weapons and how hard it is to find them?

Insane3D

me

No.

As long as we all know what you are and what you are doing in this forum as you have just pointed out we will know how seriously to treat your posts.

Very well, if you wish it, here goes the line of reasoning.

I did read the article. One of the striking things was the "no documentation" aspect of it. Now as you well know, Iraq has been accused of having huge amounts of WMDs unaccounted for. It had occurred to me that they might indeed have them, but lost them. I should have brought it up before the war. but frankly I was uncertain as to the likelihood of that happening. It might have been that Saddam had a bad day, and gave the guy in charge of records a worse one. Maybe. Again, this was hypothesizing at a level I was uncomfortable with. Now we find just the same thing, and no one has a clue as to where it came from. It was not a far stretch to imagine some poor slob getting seriously lost, and burying it there. That was not a serious consideration, but a kind of Gary Larson moment. I knew there were those with the wit to understand the irony of the situation, and for those who saw what I meant, the fewer words that conjor the appropriate image the better. Again it was ironic humor. Someone got it I am sure.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
BBD,

No, I think it proves our military can be incompetent. I do not think we needed MORE proof but some people are slow learners. Can you imagine what might happen if we started building thousands of low-yield nukes? I just hope the civilian leadership gets bumped off before it can accelerate our military's decline. They came into office preparing to fight China, now they've switched to terrorism, by the end of Bush's first term we will be deploying troops to stop kimchi production in the DMZ.

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001

Feel free.

Yes, anything outside of ten years is irrelevant.

rolleye.gif

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The apologists on this forum are a sad bunch, finding anything remotely critical of the administration (even though this wasn't) satiating.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari
The apologists on this forum are a sad bunch, finding anything remotely critical of the administration (even though this wasn't) satiating.

Which apologists?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
buried in a US Army base 80 kms from Washington DC
Perhaps some of these chemicals seeped into the ground water around D.C. That might explain the demented behavior of our Congress folk. :)

It's rather shocking no record was available which of course begs the question was that by design?. Stuff of this kind ought to be documented, you know, just in case someone comes along 30 years later and digs in the wrong spot and gets himself and his buddies sick or killed. It would also be helpful to any residents in these areas to know what Evil lies beneath their communties as well, don't you think?

Have we learned anything in 30 years? Is there adequate oversight and accountability for modern-day top-secret warfare projects? Beats me. Bet Congress doesn't have a clue either.

Oh well at least Iraq gets some free dry cleaning.