US cuts funding for UNESCO after Palestinian vote

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Personally I have always been in favor of kicking the UN off American soil and withdrawing from the UN altogether.
Regardless of how this Israel/Palestinian thing plays out in the UN!

It`s always been quite obvious that being a member of the United Nations is NOT in the united states best interest!!

http://news.yahoo.com/us-cuts-funding-unesco-palestinian-vote-172741574.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration is cutting off funding for the U.N. cultural agency because it approved a Palestinian bid for full membership.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland says Monday's vote triggers a long-standing congressional restriction on funding to U.N. bodies that recognize Palestine as a state before an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal is reached.

Nuland says UNESCO's decision was "regrettable, premature and undermines our shared goal to a comprehensive, just and lasting peace" between Israelis and Palestinians.

She says the U.S. would refrain from making a $60 million payment it planned to make in November.

But Nuland said the U.S. would maintain membership in the body.

The Palestinians want full membership in the U.N., but Israel opposes the bid. The U.S. says it would veto a vote in the Security Council.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Good.
Need to be spending money here at home.
The United States already funds 25% while countries like Germany only pay 8% or China at 3%.
If the world wants the U.N. they can start paying their fare share.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Personally I have always been in favor of kicking the UN off American soil and withdrawing from the UN altogether.

It`s always been quite obvious that being a member of the United Nations is NOT in the united states best interest!!

http://news.yahoo.com/us-cuts-funding-unesco-palestinian-vote-172741574.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration is cutting off funding for the U.N. cultural agency because it approved a Palestinian bid for full membership.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland says Monday's vote triggers a long-standing congressional restriction on funding to U.N. bodies that recognize Palestine as a state before an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal is reached.

Nuland says UNESCO's decision was "regrettable, premature and undermines our shared goal to a comprehensive, just and lasting peace" between Israelis and Palestinians.

She says the U.S. would refrain from making a $60 million payment it planned to make in November.

But Nuland said the U.S. would maintain membership in the body.

The Palestinians want full membership in the U.N., but Israel opposes the bid. The U.S. says it would veto a vote in the Security Council.

The US dances to the strings of Israel.

Nothing must come in the way of Israeli ethnic cleansing. Collective punishment is the way to go. Sieg Heil.

GrGr

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2003
Good.

US aid to Palestine is miniscule compared to the billions given to Israel each year.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As US credibility swirls down the international toilet, the US can cut Unesco funding in a final display of futility. If boxer Mike Tyson can bite his opponents ear off, why should not the USA display equal sportsmanship.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Good.
The United States already funds 25% while countries like Germany only pay 8% or China at 3%.

you must be bad at math, but you are American so I forgive you. The USA has 3 times the population and 4 times the GDP of Germany. I would say that Germany pays its fair share. in fact, the USA is a cheap skate compared to other countries when it comes to UN funding.

Germany, France and the UK fund around the same like the USA (22%) but are only half of the population and less then half of the GDP of the USA. If you put all the EU countries + Japan together then the USA looks like a total joke when it comes to UN funding. The per capita and %/gdp funding of the USA for the UN is nothing to brag about, other countries do much more relative to their gdp and population. For a long time, the USA also had an outstanding debt to the UN (at one point more then 1 billion dollar). This was one of Obama pledges when he came into power, that he would pay the outstanding debt

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

WTF !!!
How can this even happen?
You have been telling us there is no such thing as a Palestinian

Regardless, I don't think an Israeli/American would act in the best interest of the US.
They certainly haven't in the past.

and repost

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
you must be bad at math, but you are American so I forgive you. The USA has 3 times the population and 4 times the GDP of Germany. I would say that Germany pays its fair share. in fact, the USA is a cheap skate compared to other countries when it comes to UN funding.

Germany, France and the UK fund around the same like the USA (22%) but are only half of the population and less then half of the GDP of the USA. If you put all the EU countries + Japan together then the USA looks like a total joke when it comes to UN funding. The per capita and %/gdp funding of the USA for the UN is nothing to brag about, other countries do much more relative to their gdp and population. For a long time, the USA also had an outstanding debt to the UN (at one point more then 1 billion dollar). This was one of Obama pledges when he came into power, that he would pay the outstanding debt

He mentioned China only funding 3%. They have over 3x our population and are nearing our GDP. If he's correct about that statistic, perhaps he has a point.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
We believe Palestine shouldn't exist until Palestine and Israel have a peace agreement? I think I need this explained to me.

Sep 12, 2004
As US credibility swirls down the international toilet, the US can cut Unesco funding in a final display of futility. If boxer Mike Tyson can bite his opponents ear off, why should not the USA display equal sportsmanship.
:rolleyes:

You yak on incessantly about Israeli cheerleaders, yet here you are in all your Palestinian fanboy glory spewing crap without even stopping to ponder the situation for even one second.

The only credibility swirling down the toilet here is that of UNESCO's. They have allowed political grandstanding to trump their purpose and have thrown a huge wrench into their own mission statement, part of which is to promote peace as well as human rights.

This is not a boxing match and the Pals have used a UN Agency to perform a backdoor political manuever, which doesn't exactly scream "sportsmanship" itself.

/golf clap for LL, the Palestinian Fanboy Club Prez

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Do hope they'll at least take away the US' veto rights. If you don't want to pay then don't act like whiny bitches either.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Good.

So Germany actually pays more per person than the US?

The US is coming across as a petulant child. A big fatty obese child.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

What credibility - with the Arabs; it can change day to day.

Look at Turkey - they hated Israel because of the Aid fiasco, but when push comes to shove; accepted Israeli aid.

All the Arab world is like that and actually most of the third world.
Anti US until the US dollars show up.:mad:

Congress setup the rules; the Palestinians and their world supporters felt that the US would not back up its bark. Image was more important than principal.

Well that falsehood has again been exposed:biggrin:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Do hope they'll at least take away the US' veto rights. If you don't want to pay then don't act like whiny bitches either.

As stated above; when the US dollars show up to a country; then all smiles;

Hypocrites.:thumbsdown:

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
IIRC the budget for UNESCO is ~$100,000,000 annually. $80,000,000 per year comes from the US. There is a $60,000,000 check that the US was due to pay in November that now will not be delivered.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
We believe Palestine shouldn't exist until Palestine and Israel have a peace agreement? I think I need this explained to me.

Palestinians want a country on land that they do not control. They lost any control of it due to their stupid actions in siding with the wrong people and continuing trying to destroy Israel.

Make a honest peace with Israel to justify having the land made available for a country.

Behave like bratty kids and get punished accordingly.

Last edited:

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004

Who needs credibility with liars, murderers, terrorists and thieves?

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
It's about time that the UN listens to the US and stops allowing countries that democratically elect their leaders to be allowed membership in their halls so that their voice might be heard!

Oh wait.

As for the Congressional restriction against funding for any UN group that recognizes Palestine w/o an existing peace agreement with Israel....maybe someone should inform them that Israel keeps walking away from the table and continued to develop new settlements in the West Bank.