US Commander relieved from post.....(1st Marine Expeditionary Force Regimental Combat Team 1)

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
From BBC:

1635: A US commander who led a push by marines through southern Iraq has been relieved of his post, US Central Command has confirmed. No reason has been given for this. Colonel Joe Dowdy was commander of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force Regimental Combat Team 1. He was reported to have led his men to within 130km of Baghdad.

Anyone have any info as to why?

Mrpilot007

Jan 5, 2003
How about Relieved as in you're tired, we'll send in someone else to give you a break?

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Mrpilot007
How about Relieved as in you're tired, we'll send in someone else to give you a break?

Coming from a military family, I can tell you that a CO would not just say "I need a break". No way.... something else going on. He has messed something up, or some incident that he is responsible for (under his command) happened... guaranteed.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I agree, I cant see a CO take his men all the way to the big battle, then bail due to fatigue...
I'm sure something will come out soon enough.

See, I was right, Al-Jezeera is reporting he was removed due to his refusal to kill woman and children.......
rolleye.gif

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Could be he's sick, injured, emergency at home, needed elsewhere, or, yes, screwed up.

We'll know soon enough. Until then, it's all just conjecture and speculation.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Alistar7
I agree, I cant see a CO take his men all the way to the big battle, then bail due to fatigue...

See, I was right, Al-Jezeera is reporting he was removed due to his refusal to kill woman and children.......
rolleye.gif

Please tell me you're joking. I'm stuck at work and thus my access is severely limited. Damn firewalls.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
The prevailing idea was he was removed for being too aggressive. There has been no official reason given yet.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Insane3D
The prevailing idea was he was removed for being too aggressive. There has been no official reason given yet.

Hmmm...I didn't quite get that from the article. I got that the replacement commander is known for being extremely aggressive. I will see if any of my contacts at Camp Pendleton know anything more.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7

rolleye.gif

I guess Al-Jazeera is getting thier "facts" on this from Arnet.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: junkyardDawg
link
this seems to think he was not aggressive enough (its about halfway down)

Uhhh iraqwar.ru? A russian site dedicated to the Iraqwar, and you think it is legit? Guys start questioning your sources, just because you find it on the internet doesn't mean it is true.

junkyardDawg

Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan
link

Uhhh iraqwar.ru? A russian site dedicated to the Iraqwar, and you think it is legit? Guys start questioning your sources, just because you find it on the internet doesn't mean it is true.

I never said that site was 100% legit but their "intel reports" have been suprisingly accurate in hindsight
this was officer in charge at Nasariya and it has been a thorn in our side since day one

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DaiShan
link

I never said that site was 100% legit but their "intel reports" have been suprisingly accurate in hindsight
this was officer in charge at Nasariya and it has been a thorn in our side since day one

I dont think you can use that as a measure of his aggressiveness. Look how long the Brits have been duking it out in Basra. No one is doubting thier tactics OR ability to bring the fight to the enemy. Its a difficult campaign when trying to spare civilians from the perils of war.

junkyardDawg

Oct 11, 2001
I agree

its possible he was given orders to take the town AND avoid civilian casualties, and balked at sending his marines into a meatgrinder to accomplish both

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Dangermouse33
Did any of you guys read the posts at the pottom of that iraqwar.ru link? Some bastardly people there.

No kidding.