US carrier-led strike group heading toward Korea "As a Show of Force"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
This is just more Trump genius - never show your hand to your enemies. All you liberal armchair generals know nothing.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
When Alice in Wonderland and Darth Vader get married how will we feel about Bilbo stealing Gollum's ring? Hey, if we're dealing with idiotic fantasy questions that's as good as yours is.

yes nukes exploding are at the same level of fantasy as lotr. You are a fucking moron.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
When Alice in Wonderland and Darth Vader get married how will we feel about Bilbo stealing Gollum's ring? Hey, if we're dealing with idiotic fantasy questions that's as good as yours is.

When moron 1.0 sets off a nuclear war cause incompetent you dont think it warrants a lil introspection from those who voted him into the oval?
But I hear you, what you are saying is that it is unfathomable that the guy starts a war - even as a 'useful idiot'. Yea wish I had your confidence.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Trump still thinks "war" is that thing where you and your buddy sit at a table, each behind a plastic wall, trying to sink each others' battleship. I have supreme faith in the fact that he has no idea what the fuck he is doing, and won't understand what is happening when he does do it. Trump + Fat 3 + Erdogan + all the other bullshit puts us closer to a nuclear strike somewhere in the world than we've been since the 50s.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
What's going to happen?

I can tell you what is NOT going to happen. Trump, the US, will not sit idle while Kim is expanding and upgrading their nuclear missile capability. Trump won't wait until NK has several actual working nukes that can, reliably, hit the US. NK is not far from this respective already reached this goal.

We actually *know* that Trump won't sit idle. He said that enough is enough. Add 1+1 together. What do you think did Trump discuss with the Chinese leader? Why would a major strike-group now head to the NK? Yes it is true that there always some "exercises" in the area, but from what I just read yesterday it looks as if that area is clearly preparing for "something". I have the same gut feeling here as when strike groups headed to the gulf before the war. Obviously media never say they are heading there for an attack, they're always heading "as a show of force" or for "exercises". This is just my gut feeling but things very well add up in this case. (Trump *also* put himself in a position where he can't get out anymore, he is now obliged to act simply also to stand true to his words). You don't say "enough is enough" and that everything that could've said already had been said and then do nothing.

Just to add. This particular strike group was heading to Australia and diverted to NK. This is not some previously scheduled exercise as some are stating. The reason for US carrier groups in the Australian theater is to control Chinese aggression in the area. Trump had what appeared to be a good talk with the Chinese leader and has moved the strike force away from any disputed areas with China. This could be to help garner Chinese support vs NK.

The worst possible situation with NK is that they are uncomfortably close to having the ability to deliver nuclear payloads via missile. There is no way they can be allowed to get this capability. They would be completely uncontrollable. I don't think we are near a confrontation with them yet. But I think Trump is as determined to not allow NK the ability to strike the US as Kennedy was to keep Soviet missiles out of Cuba.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
49401754.cached.jpg
If NK has the capability to "kill us all", or even millions of So. Koreans, it's prior presidents fault for allowing it.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
North Korea, even with ballistic nukes cannot field enough of them to assure our destruction even if a surprise attack was possible.

We on the other hand can wipe them out at least 20 times over with about 5 minutes notice.

NK doesn't even rise to the level of MAD. It's more like NAD (North korea Assured Destruction).

L'il Kim doesn't want his comforts blown up and our Sec Def understands what's at stake, not to mention China definitely doesn't want missiles flying. I can't see this going anywhere but more escalating words and posturing.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
If NK has the capability to "kill us all", or even millions of So. Koreans, it's prior presidents fault for allowing it.

My point was that he's a blustering fool who could bumble us into something terrible, not just specific to the Korean situation.

As to killing millions of South Koreans thats been a real possibility for decades should any conflict erupt there. Conventional or not.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
yes nukes exploding are at the same level of fantasy as lotr. You are a fucking moron.

The only fucking morons are people with their heads so far up their ass that they're incapable on learning anything in 60+ years.

NK has been threatening us EVERY DAY since the war ended.
The US has had a carrier task force in that area pretty much EVERY DAY since the war ended.

The only thing that's different today is that braindead children who missed all that think suddenly NK is going to change. Tell ya what Zippy, wake me up when NK doesn't threaten us and our allies about something. THAT'S what you better start to worry.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Sure looks to me like Trump is doing everything possible to provoke a war. Flat out lying about a task force heading there is stupid and wrong on so many levels. And then in usual Trump fashion he refuses to admit fault, instead blaming a miscommunication from the Pentagon.

Incidentally both his current NSA and the Secretary of Defense joined in and repeated the lie. Unfortunately those two are the ones most think are the responsible adults in the Trump Administration.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The only fucking morons are people with their heads so far up their ass that they're incapable on learning anything in 60+ years.

NK has been threatening us EVERY DAY since the war ended.
The US has had a carrier task force in that area pretty much EVERY DAY since the war ended.

The only thing that's different today is that braindead children who missed all that think suddenly NK is going to change. Tell ya what Zippy, wake me up when NK doesn't threaten us and our allies about something. THAT'S what you better start to worry.

I think the idea of nuclear attacks by nk scares you and you don't want to think about it. So you place it in the compartment in your mind that has hobbits and wizards in it. You don't deserve the flying spaghetti monster avatar.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Sure looks to me like Trump is doing everything possible to provoke a war. Flat out lying about a task force heading there is stupid and wrong on so many levels. And then in usual Trump fashion he refuses to admit fault, instead blaming a miscommunication from the Pentagon.

Incidentally both his current NSA and the Secretary of Defense joined in and repeated the lie. Unfortunately those two are the ones most think are the responsible adults in the Trump Administration.

What makes it impossible for you henny-penny morons to grow a brain. The US has a carrier strike force stationed in that area permanently. The US Seventh Fleet is based in Japan and spends 100% of its operational time cruising around China and NK as a show of force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Seventh_Fleet

One carrier is undergoing a refit, another carrier is replacing it. Nothing has changed other than some people getting more stupid by the day.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I think the idea of nuclear attacks by nk scares you and you don't want to think about it. So you place it in the compartment in your mind that has hobbits and wizards in it. You don't deserve the flying spaghetti monster avatar.

ROFL!! Okay, if you to believe other people not being as braindead as you is their failing, feel free. You're living in a world of your own delusions anyway, why stop now?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
What makes it impossible for you henny-penny morons to grow a brain. The US has a carrier strike force stationed in that area permanently. The US Seventh Fleet is based in Japan and spends 100% of its operational time cruising around China and NK as a show of force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Seventh_Fleet

One carrier is undergoing a refit, another carrier is replacing it. Nothing has changed other than some people getting more stupid by the day.

and a president saber rattling a nuclear power with a crazy leader.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
ROFL!! Okay, if you to believe other people not being as braindead as you is their failing, feel free. You're living in a world of your own delusions anyway, why stop now?

RRRRRiiight. Hey everyone I know nk has nukes and just said they would use them preemptively but if anyone mentions it I will tell them it is a fantasy like lord of the rings that it will happen! And they will be dumb dumb heads! Not me for thinking nk nuke program is the same as the battle of the 5 armies. Come on son. You are better then this.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
and npr is reporting right now about nk talking about nuclear war. lol. Best let them know its a fantasy and belongs on the movie review hour.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
So, he's either lying about the movement and giving false hope to allies in the region (ROK is worried about this) or he isn't fully aware of the location of a major surface group. I think it's likely BOTH. He's trying to bully NK and bluff his way through and he really doesn't know where they are or are going. He's been "slipping" a lot lately. Calling Paul Ryan "Ron" multiple times, saying missiles were headed to Iraq, etc..

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
trump is a noob. What did we think was going to happen when you put a noob in charge of the most powerful military in the world?