Discussion US Capitol on Lockdown!

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
These seditionists are scum. Anyone not demanding full accountability for all involved and denouncing this movement should be seen as complicit and equally scummy. The dems need to get out in front and say they will no work with anyone that doesn't vote for impeachment or denounce these attacks. A line must be drawn.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Holy shit. I thought the cop that was killed was the one dragged out and beaten by like 30 people. It makes sense that it was a different one because the one died was USCP while I think the one that got dragged out of the door was with Metro Police.

Hard to tell from that video, but looks like the fire extinguisher hit him in the helmet. (Edit, looks like it bounced off one officer's helmet and hit the other officer on a bare head. I'd be willing to bet he lost his helmet in the melee, so hopefully they can catch that guy too.)

ETA: This is the one I was thinking was killed: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/us/capitol-mob-violence-police.html

Apparently, police are now saying the fire extinguisher guy is a person of interest in another incident. Its pretty clear that he threw the extinguisher but maybe that wasn’t what caused the fatal injury or someone else used that (or another) extinguisher to kill the officer. Conflicting information doesn’t surprise me at this point.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Oh. Oh, my.
(In fairness, it's easy to enough to contact you rep and get a tour of the Capitol, or at least it was pre-covid. Mo Brooks' office was happy enough to do it for me a few years back, and I kind of despise him. I don't what reasons Rep Sherrill might have to think that the MoCs might have known the folks in question had malicious intentions.)

Generally you need to book out three months in advance if you want a tour with someone in a Congress persons office. About 4 weeks on the public tour sign up.

Her office wouldn’t have had tours booked yet since she was 2 days into her term. If she we personally leading tours then that’s even a bigger red flag as it is almost always a staff assistant and sometimes a legislative assistant doing the tours. Always the most junior staffers.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Here is some Parler data that I am sure the FBI is using.

Large buildings like that will have their own Cellphone stations inside the building that will have EVERYONE with a phone captured, not just the few knucklehead that uploaded their videos they took inside.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Large buildings like that will have their own Cellphone stations inside the building that will have EVERYONE with a phone captured, not just the few knucklehead that uploaded their videos they took inside.

Agreed, but this shows you how brazen they were in filming this live and posting updates. Of course this will work toward their detriment.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I remember seeing at least one person who got close to the capital steps and then turned around and waved a flag like in the movie The Patriot. I wonder if that was signal that the doors and windows had been breached to those with malicious intent?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Haven't seen this mentioned on here yet (might have missed it). Some of the attackers were waving a _Canadian_ flag. Seems kind of weird. Guess Canada has it's far-right nuts as well. Or was it a call-back to 1812?

Slightly less-surprising to me, there was also an Indian flag on display.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Haven't seen this mentioned on here yet (might have missed it). Some of the attackers were waving a _Canadian_ flag. Seems kind of weird. Guess Canada has it's far-right nuts as well. Or was it a call-back to 1812?

I just saw that canadian flag yesterday in a video for the first time, and was like WTF?

I think the US is the last place I'd want to be a foreigner charged with Terrorism.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

Here's another weird one for you:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006

I saw it before, but was hoping it would go unnoticed. I thought the blame everyone else, GOP or Fox would start blaming Canada. I mean there is not actual sign of ANTIFA anywhere and they are blaming them. But damn there is a big Canadian Flag: Blame Canada.

Yeah, Canada has RWNJs too. Crazy doesn't stop at the border, and Trump has increased the growth of RW extremism in Canada too. Him legitimizing hate groups in the USA, emboldens them here too.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There were a few Canadians there. I heard about two nurses on the radio. Now they are suspended pending investigation.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
There were a few Canadians there. I heard about two nurses on the radio. Now they are suspended pending investigation.

I suppose if they were huge Trump Fans, I could see them attending the Rally, but what possible reason would the have for Storming the capital in another country, if they went that far. That's actually much dumber than locals doing it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I suppose if they were huge Trump Fans, I could see them attending the Rally, but what possible reason would the have for Storming the capital in another country, if they went that far. That's actually much dumber than locals doing it.

Clearly the whole thing was either a secret Canuck plan to annex the US, or a narrowly-thwarted attempt at an 1812 re-enactment as a form of conceptual-art?

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
There was a poll here prior to the election. 10% of Canadians would have voted Trumpity Dumpity over Trudeau if he was running here.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
There was a poll here prior to the election. 10% of Canadians would have voted Trumpity Dumpity over Trudeau if he was running here.

And 15% in the Prairies. Our Prairies are like the Southern States. Pickup Trucks, Guns, Oil, and Right Wing politics.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Can't wait to hear them try to explain why helping an insurrection in a foreign capitol was essential cross border travel.

My Canadian friends are as outraged by republican treason as I am, maybe more so, but the disgust they reserve for fellow Canadians who support Trump always impresses me.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
And 15% in the Prairies. Our Prairies are like the Southern States. Pickup Trucks, Guns, Oil, and Right Wing politics.

So true.

Alberta: fewer people than Oklahoma, but more teeth. Just as afflicted by big oil, tornadoes, and nativist politics.

Reactions: pmv

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Can't wait to hear them try to explain why helping an insurrection in a foreign capitol was essential cross border travel.

A great many Canadian expats living and working in the USA. I don't imagine they traveled from Canada for this, they probably just joined some of their coworkers.

Though I expect their lives in the USA are over now if they get caught(and I hope they do). After they serve whatever jail time they get, they will probably be barred for life from the USA, for aiding an insurrection, and their lives likely won't be great when they return to Canada after this stupidity.

I don't know what different laws apply to foreign insurrections, but I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't pleasant.

More stupid prizes for playing an unbelievably stupid game.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Sounds like we need some military armor and weapons. Let's see if they storm the buildings with 50 cals pointed towards them.

The first is a demonstration billed as the “largest armed protest ever to take place on American soil.”

Another is a protest in honor of Ashli Babbitt, the woman killed while trying to climb into the Speaker’s Lobby during Wednesday’s pro-Trump siege of the Capitol.

And another demonstration, which three members said was by far the most concerning plot, would involve insurrectionists forming a perimeter around the Capitol, the White House and the Supreme Court, and then blocking Democrats from entering the Capitol ― perhaps even killing them ― so that Republicans could take control of the government.

Democrats were told that the Capitol Police and the National Guard were preparing for potentially tens of thousands of armed protesters coming to Washington and were establishing rules of engagement for warfare. In general, the military and police don’t plan to shoot anyone until one of the rioters fires, but there could be exceptions.

Lawmakers were told that the plot to encircle the Capitol also included plans to surround the White House ― so that no one could harm Trump ― and the Supreme Court, simply to shut down the courts. The plan to surround the Capitol includes assassinating Democrats as well as Republicans who didn’t support Trump’s effort to overturn the election ― and allowing other Republicans to enter the building and control government.

All of these plots may never materialize. The Capitol Police have established a new perimeter with fencing and razor wire, and the National Guard has already been called in to help protect the Capitol and lawmakers.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Watch a bunch of these vids. They won't. Almost none of them will brave mace, let alone real guns.

I posted this in another thread, but this archive is important. It's livestreams (many of which have been taken down by now)saved by Redditors and others. Lots of excited maskless faces in HD in these vids. Lots of people whose faces (and even names!) have been given to authorities by the right-wing "influencers". It warms my heart, it does.

Now, there were some violent animals there, case in point:

Reactions: DAPUNISHER