Discussion US Capitol on Lockdown!

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
This guy and another have been indicted by a federal grand jury.

Just released from CNN:

“First two Capitol riot defendants indicted in Washington, including man alleged to have bombs
From CNnKatelyn Polantz
The Justice Department on Tuesday filed its first federal grand jury indictments against two defendants linked to the Capitol riot, including against an Alabama man alleged to have parked a truck filled with homemade bombs, guns and ammo two blocks from the Capitol.

Both men were arrested last week and their criminal allegations were made public shortly after the riot. The indictments formalize the charges the men, after they were arrested under criminal complaint.

Lonnie Leroy Coffman of Alabama appears to be the most serious defendant of more than 20 known federal defendants so far. He is currently detained and is set to appear before a judge this afternoon.

According to the new indictments, Coffman faces 17 criminal counts, largely for possession of multiple weapons including ammunition, shotgun shells and various guns, including a shotgun, a rifle, 3 pistols and 11 Molotov cocktails without registration in Washington, DC, on Jan. 6, according to the indictment.

Another man, Mark Jefferson Leffingwell, faces seven counts related to violence inside the Capitol building. He is released from detention at this time.

Neither have entered a plea in court.”

Edit: Added the info from the recent CNN post.

Leymenaide

Feb 16, 2010
Axios reports today:
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) reportedly urged the FBI on Tuesday to bar all rioters identified in the pro-Trump mob that breached the Capitol from boarding commercial flights, the Associated Press reports.

This might slow things down a bit. Less travel for next week.

Mar 11, 2004
Lol ... Susan Collins says she thought Iran was invading the Capitol. Did she not know what the fuck was going on around her? Is she nearly senile or something. I'm assuming she was "concerned" about it. Black, Antifa, Iranians funded by George Soros.

She just got re-elected, right? (Or was that in 2018?). She's not even trying any more is she.

Just looked it up. 2020.

Also this is pretty humorous considering that statement:

Reactions: soundforbjt

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
She just got re-elected, right? (Or was that in 2018?). She's not even trying any more is she.

Just looked it up. 2020.

Also this is pretty humorous considering that statement:
Collins won re-election fairly easily despite pre-election polling indicating roughly a coin flip vs. a strong challenger. I actually donated a few bucks in an effort to toss Collins out of Congress. Maine and Vermont aren't exactly liberal by Northeastern standards, but I don't even know how Mainers can defend voting her back into office.

Honestly, Collins is just as deplorable as the craziest Trumpists in the House:

Reactions: hal2kilo

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
TRump lied his ass off as usual during his departure to Tx, he claimed many people looked at his speech and said it was fine.
Edit: he said they told him it was “totally appropriate”.
You know how your dealing with a criminal? They use words and phrases that hint at one thing but could technically sound harmless to a judge or law enforcement. He and his counterparts are very familiar with the law and how to bend it in their favor. That's how I knew Trump was a criminal and to take what he said this past year seriously.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
When Susan Collins was speaking the night of electoral certification is was quite clear she is in some sort of medical decline. It looked like she had Parkinson’s based on her constant shaking while speaking.

edit: apparently she’s always like that. She has some other disorder.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Ummm, thoughts on what this means? Hard evidence that this was all orchestrated from the inside? Might explain all the GOPers suddenly on board with impeachment. What did they see that rattled them so bad?

Here is a video where he elborates. (edit more complete video)

Initial charges is the just to pick them up.
Expectation is hundreds of cases eventually.
Strike force to focus on Felony Sedition and Conspiracy charges. Up to 20 year sentences possible.
Next focus on assaults on Federal and Local officers, people will be shocked by assaults on officers.

Basically they are looking to set strong examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and Dave_5k

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Ummm, thoughts on what this means? Hard evidence that this was all orchestrated from the inside? Might explain all the GOPers suddenly on board with impeachment. What did they see that rattled them so bad?

Interesting, could be anything from inside assistance to the degree of pre-planning, organization, and severity of intended actions (published in advance on social media)

edit: thanks for video link, after watching this seemed to be in reference to the severity and extent of assaults on police inside the capitol (no reference to insiders)

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
It’s the daily mail unfortunately, but take the hit because It's the only source I could find for now . The FBI has released images of the killer of Officer Sicknick. The accompanying video clearly shows him deliberately aim and throw a fire extinguisher at a group of cops. Murder caught on tape.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
It’s the daily mail unfortunately, but take the hit because It's the only source I could find for now . The FBI has released images of the killer of Officer Sicknick. The accompanying video clearly shows him deliberately aim and throw a fire extinguisher at a group of cops. Murder caught on tape.

That's another different video of yet another brutal melee with police. For anyone that wants to claim they just walked in unopposed it's a pretty weak defense IMO. That's only after cops were beaten and routed. Note the guy screams from above, "you lasted an hour", so it took a lot time to get to that point.

So anyone that got inside knew it was from beating the police into submission first, even if they didn't actually participate. Unless they can show they were out shopping an only popped by after the police were already ground down.

So throw the book at everyone who went inside "sightseeing", after the police were beaten into submission.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

Chicago Fire Department? I hope they find this guy and charge him with murder. Piece of shit.

Reactions: Muse

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
It's so stupid. With so many violent clashes, why were the allowed to just walk out in the end. Hold all of them for questioning.

• Love
Reactions: Zorba and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So throw the book at everyone who went inside "sightseeing", after the police were beaten into submission.
And all that time the understaffed Capitol Police were fighting off the mob (an hour they said) the call to bring in the National Guard was ignored by the White House. Trump sat on his hands watching TV and gloating (after having said at the rally that he'd be at the Capitol with the crowd he sent down there). After more than 3 hours, Pence finally called in 1100 National Guard Troops. Trump preferred to have the Capitol undefended as much as possible. Then he hides in the White House the next 5 days. Finally today, he flies to Texas and lays down a carpet of bullshit denying he caused anything and pretending the world is flat.

Reactions: Zorba

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Hey, no Republican is getting into my house without passing through a metal detector. :D

You're a better man than me...We made friends with a couple just before the 2000 election. Came out they (especially he) were Republicans...who revered Ronnie Rayguns. I mentioned that I rooted for Hinkley...and thought Reagan was one president who deserved to be shot and killed for his acts against America...we never saw them again. Fckn snowflakes.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You're a better man than me...We made friends with a couple just before the 2000 election. Came out they (especially he) were Republicans...who revered Ronnie Rayguns. I mentioned that I rooted for Hinkley...and thought Reagan was one president who deserved to be shot and killed for his acts against America...we never saw them again. Fckn snowflakes.
When it happened I was at my volunteer gig, college radio station. Our program director let out a cheer!

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

Holy shit. I thought the cop that was killed was the one dragged out and beaten by like 30 people. It makes sense that it was a different one because the one died was USCP while I think the one that got dragged out of the door was with Metro Police.

Hard to tell from that video, but looks like the fire extinguisher hit him in the helmet. (Edit, looks like it bounced off one officer's helmet and hit the other officer on a bare head. I'd be willing to bet he lost his helmet in the melee, so hopefully they can catch that guy too.)

ETA: This is the one I was thinking was killed: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/us/capitol-mob-violence-police.html

Last edited:

ewdotson

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2011
Oh. Oh, my.
(In fairness, it's easy to enough to contact you rep and get a tour of the Capitol, or at least it was pre-covid. Mo Brooks' office was happy enough to do it for me a few years back, and I kind of despise him. I don't what reasons Rep Sherrill might have to think that the MoCs might have known the folks in question had malicious intentions.)

• Wow
Reactions: Fenixgoon