Discussion US Capitol on Lockdown!

Page 34 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
I don't really want to see a visibly armed military presence on the streets. However, they need to be nearby, ready and have standing orders to move on a moment's notice.

But, this is all why the Orange Turd needs to be neutered before then, so he cannot have any authority to interfere.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The notion that they "chose to be understaffed" is unknown and, at this point, debatable. The explanation could be simple incompetence. They had no intelligence reports that an attack on the capitol building itself was expected. They were expecting an angry protest, not an invasion. In spite of several social media posts suggesting that an invasion was planned. Could be a failure of whoever is responsible for monitoring this social media activity. Or perhaps the capital police themselves should have been monitoring Parler and 8kun. I can see incredulity being the driving problem here: a capitol invasion has not happened since 1812 and they didn't seriously expect it to happen this time.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.
I knew there was going to be violence at Capitol, the no intelligence excuse is bullshit.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Even your own article says the reason they refused was that after the national guard incident back in June, they didn't think it was a good look to have the national guard there for another protest. Sounds like a miscalculation to me, not proof of complicity in an insurrection.
It's always the black man's fault.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well, it's not like any attacks on the 17th will be a surprise at this point. If terrorists find it as easy next time to breach the most important building in the US, you'll know it's not accidental.

If BLM said they were coming on the 17th to invade buildings you can bet there'd be fucking tanks and machine gun nests deployed.
Just Tobe sure inarguation is secure. BLM and Green Peace should claim they are going to have massive protests on the 20th. Then we'll have the 101st on site.

Reactions: SmCaudata

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Maybe PETA should join in. They always seem to scare the conservatives.
Really, at the end of the day, I'd bet money there lack of response had nothing to do with lack of intelligence but the leadership being worried about the MAGAt media response. They knew Fox news would be all over them if they'd staffed properly and nothing happened.

Reactions: SmCaudata

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Well, this officer, at least, was a damned hero:

It takes balls of steel, to face a mob practically alone, and shove back it's leader. To have actually been clear headed enough to do it as a distraction tactic in that high adrenaline moment, is the stuff of legends. He definitely deserves whatever awards they can give him. True heroism is not shooting people.

I think there has been way too much armchair second guessing the beleaguered officers on the ground that day, when most of people facing a psychotic mob, would likely have pissed themselves and ran.

The Capital Police Chief is the one that totally f'd this up, but he already resigned...

Reactions: pmv and Zorba

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
Someone remind me again why that corridor wasn't guarded and why all the other security was apparently doing nothing at the opposite side?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
It takes balls of steel, to face a mob practically alone, and shove back it's leader. To have actually been clear headed enough to do it as a distraction tactic in that high adrenaline moment, is the stuff of legends. He definitely deserves whatever awards they can give him. True heroism is not shooting people.

I think there has been way too much armchair second guessing the beleaguered officers on the ground that day, when most of people facing a psychotic mob, would likely have pissed themselves and ran.

The Capital Police Chief is the one that totally f'd this up, but he already resigned...
I think as more videos have come out it's obvious the Capitol police did what they could with the piss poor leadership they had.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
paraphrasing from trump's candidate announcement:

You know...“When Trump sends his people, they’re not sending their best. […] They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with them. They’re bringing guns. They’re bringing crime & insurrection. They’re racists. And some, I assume, are good people”

Reactions: uclaLabrat

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I just took a peek at a forum that has gone totally batshit crazy, with only 2 or 3 active (very active) posters, but he links to all the fucking whacko right wingnut sites/blogs, etc.

Did you know that Trump spoke behind "the very thick bullet proof" glass on the 6th, because Pence is trying to have him assassinated. And that Pence is who told the Capital police to let the terrorists into the building.

If they put Trump behind bullet-proof glass it must mean they were worried he might try and shoot someone.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Someone remind me again why that corridor wasn't guarded and why all the other security was apparently doing nothing at the opposite side?

Honestly, I don't know if there is any one answer for what happened that day.

At best, it seems like poor planning.

At worst, it was allowed/encouraged/plotted to occur.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'm not sure which thread to put this in, or if it's related to anything at all:

That's sad. It'll be interesting to find what his involvement, if any, was on Wednesday. Hopefully, it's completely unrelated, but hard to assume that right now.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Honestly, I don't know if there is any one answer for what happened that day.

At best, it seems like poor planning.

At worst, it was allowed/encouraged/plotted to occur.
I really can't believe the capitol has no blast doors. My office building has blast rated door all the way around a large section of it. In our case, they were installed for tornadoes, bit still.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
I really can't believe the capitol has no blast doors. My office building has blast rated door all the way around a large section of it. In our case, they were installed for tornadoes, bit still.
In the 90's I was installing new NetWare and NT Servers in a 3 letter Federal law enforcement agency offices across GA, NC, and SC. Many of these were leased spaces in office buildings with a number of number of other tenants for many types of businesses.

Everyone of them had blast door that were added to protect their space. From their lobby it looked like any door your would expect to see in any office building. But once they buzzed you in, you realized this was not a normal door, but heavily reinforced. Some of these offices were not even manned, and I had to contact agents in the field to gain access.

Of course the dedicated office spaces they had in places like Atlanta were on a completely different level, and this was all pre-9/11.

Reactions: Zorba