Discussion US Capitol on Lockdown!

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Watch a bunch of these vids. They won't. Almost none of them will brave mace, let alone real guns.

I posted this in another thread, but this archive is important. It's livestreams (many of which have been taken down by now)saved by Redditors and others. Lots of excited maskless faces in HD in these vids. Lots of people whose faces (and even names!) have been given to authorities by the right-wing "influencers". It warms my heart, it does.

Now, there were some violent animals there, case in point:

It reminds me of when they talked about storming area 51

1610642357359.jpeg

Reactions: Meghan54 and Zorba

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Sounds like we need some military armor and weapons. Let's see if they storm the buildings with 50 cals pointed towards them.

Those are three laughably naive plots.

1: Largest Armed protest on American Soil.

Sorry, but that isn't going to happen, they simply won't be allowed to assemble an armed group. How do they think the logistics will happen? Thousand drive in by car from around the country, and are allowed to freely stage their forces while the government just lets them mass until the Trumpist signal they are ready?

Sorry fools. You were allowed to assemble on 1/6 because it was supposed to be a peaceful political rally. The first person that shows up armed, will be taken into custody or shot if they resist. Repeat as necessary.

2: Ashli Babbit Protest:

I suppose you could be allowed to protest somewhere, far away, once you are checked for weapons, and I mean anything that could be a weapon, including bats, flag poles, mace, etc... Sure this could happen, but isn't going to matter.

3: Insurrections Surrounding the capital for a real armed bloody coup killing all the democrats and installing the Republicans.

See #1. They aren't just going to sit back and let you assemble your forces. The national guard is already in place. As the fools trickle in they would be picked off.

There is no real way the insurrections can bring concentrated force to bear. They have no where to assemble their "army" and strike. They would just be picked off as they travel or as they arrive.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Sounds like we need some military armor and weapons. Let's see if they storm the buildings with 50 cals pointed towards them.

I really think some of this bullshit goes back to Obama not doing anything to the insurgents and the Bundy ranch. Emboldened crazy white people with guns to think they could get away with anything.

Not that I think there should be been a gun battle right there, but the assholes should've been arrested afterwards.

Hopefully Biden makes an example of these fools.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
The truly pathetic part--let's say they take over the Capitol building. So fucking what? Unless you capture a large part of the Congress, you are just squatting in a building--one that rapidly won't have power or water-- and are sitting ducks. Any damage you do, more jail time. Lots of cameras going, not that you need them since they'll all be livestreaming. I'd assume no Congress member will be anywhere near there on the 17th.

Let's say worst case they take Congress members hostage, if for some stupid reason they'd be there. Even if they beheaded them live like their Jihadist brethren, what then? If anything it further turns the country and politicians against Trump. The Democrats will have the blessing to do whatever they want just like GWB was free to invade any country he liked after 9/11 as long as we got to teabag brown people with our shock and awe. Sorry Iraq, you were chosen.

Let's say they take over every State Capitol. So what? What happens in a week? Are they going to hire secretaries so that they can get on with business? Make runs to Chick fil A to fill their rumbly tummies through the lines of authorities that will have the building surrounded?

When it comes to the practical side of taking over a country, I believe these people may not have thought things through...I guess their ace in the hole is counting on the military to throw over to them like the Irish in Braveheart, and that would be a concern.

Last edited:

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
The truly pathetic part--let's say they take over the Capitol building. So fucking what? Unless you capture a large part of the Congress, you are just squatting in a building--one that rapidly won't have power or water-- and are sitting ducks. Any damage you do, more jail time. Lots of cameras going, not that you need them since they'll all be livestreaming. I'd assume no Congress member will be anywhere near there on the 17th.

Let's say worst case they take Congress members hostage, if for some stupid reason they'd be there. Even if they beheaded them live like their Jihadist brethren, what then? If anything it further turns the country and politicians against Trump. The Democrats will have the blessing to do whatever they want just like GWB was free to invade any country he liked after 9/11 as long as we got to teabag brown people with our shock and awe. Sorry Iraq, you were chosen.

Let's say they take over every State Capitol. So what? What happens in a week? Are they going to hire secretaries so that they can get on with business? Make runs to Chick fil A to fill their rumbly tummies through the lines of authorities that will have the building surrounded?

When it comes to the practical side of taking over a country, I believe these people may not have thought things through...I guess their ace in the hole is counting on the military to throw over to them like the Irish in Braveheart, and that would be a concern.
The point isn't to retain control of the building. The point is to kill 'Democratic' leadership (which now includes anyone that doesn't support Trump), then get pardoned by Trump at the nth hour.

You notice none of them had sleeping bags at the last riot.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I really think some of this bullshit goes back to Obama not doing anything to the insurgents and the Bundy ranch. Emboldened crazy white people with guns to think they could get away with anything.

Not that I think there should be been a gun battle right there, but the assholes should've been arrested afterwards.

I completely agree. The complete failure to hold accountable any of the members of the Dildo Insurrection directly lead to the idea that they could get away with this.

Reactions: Zorba

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Generally you need to book out three months in advance if you want a tour with someone in a Congress persons office. About 4 weeks on the public tour sign up.

Her office wouldn’t have had tours booked yet since she was 2 days into her term. If she we personally leading tours then that’s even a bigger red flag as it is almost always a staff assistant and sometimes a legislative assistant doing the tours. Always the most junior staffers.

As far as I know, public tours of the WH and Capitol were shut down in March, 2020 due to COVID and have never been reinstated. Again, as far as I know.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Then it comes to the practical side of taking over a country, I believe these people may not have thought things through...I guess their ace in the hole is counting on the military to throw over to them like the Irish in Braveheart, and that would be a concern.
Yeah look at how proud the were when being allowed to leave the Capitol "YEAH WE STOPPED THE COUNT!!!" Like how stupid are they, their orange loser leader's term still ends at January 20 11:59AM. All they would have done is just make it so Pelosi is interm president. Their little snowflake brains would explode even more than Biden being sworn in.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
As far as I know, public tours of the WH and Capitol were shut down in March, 2020 due to COVID and have never been reinstated. Again, as far as I know.

That appears to be accurate. I thought the Capitol resumed when the White House resumed theirs. White House has limited tours. Capitol apparently is closed to public tours still.

So ya, to get a Capitol tour right now would require direct invitation from a member of Congress.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Seems they are rounding more people up.

I will go out a limb here. Not sure the leadership that planned and got away with the events of January 6th most-likely will be incarcerated. This will be a huge “brain drain” for this group, although the mental capacity was not large before, but this will make a huge difference.

It amazes me that we have more troops around the House and the inauguration venue than we current have in areas where they are fighting or training foreign forces for combat. Never thought I would see our Capitol look like this. I hope these fools are happy as their feeling is freedumb looks more like an occupation than a free democratic country.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
From what I have read, there really was not true leadership. Many small groups that actually planned different things, and then many unassociated morons--er, "patriots"--that just showed up like people did for the Blues Brothers' Rhythm and Blues review, they had flyers and ads and tshirts oh my.

I have no idea what's going to happen on the 17th through the 20th, but I don't reckon most of the people in those vids are going to be storming a fortified Guard position. I also don't think it's going to be easy for most of them to just switch to a different target (since they are all disjointed anyway)...and if they did, how would they do so in a way that the FBI didn't know? Talking very specifically about the larger mass of revolutionaries. Small teams that are actually dangerous I'm sure have communications worked out.

Short of something monumental like part of the armed forces defecting to the rebels, I have two worries coming...small teams of bombers or snipers that are coordinated enough to find a soft target, and the second worry is that we get counter-protesters. For the love of dog, STAY AWAY even if you hate these people with a passion. Fighting them is exactly what they want, and if they are bound and determined to turn more people against them and get killed fighting the National Guard, let them.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Doesn't sound like a remotely realistic plan for taking over the country. But does sound like a possible threat to the lives of some Democrat Congress people. Besides, I presume the aim is more chaos and political theatre than a serious coup.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Doesn't sound like a remotely realistic plan for taking over the country. But does sound like a possible threat to the lives of some Democrat Congress people. Besides, I presume the aim is more chaos and political theatre than a serious coup.

They didn't plan. They got marching orders from Trump in his speech that day.

They have to send the results back to the swing states to be redone. Trump claimed that all the swing states wanted them back for a redo. They just needed to convince(intimidate/threaten) Mike Pence to do the "right thing" and send them back, then he would win the election and they would be the happiest people... and if they didn't the country would be destroyed...

Who knows what Trumps plan was if Mike Pence did the "right thing" and sent the results back. Unleash more mob terror and intimidation, in those states until he gets the results he wants, then sends it back with the result he wants and he is president all fair and square. o_O

While that seems crazy to us, Trump and his cult don't run on human values. If you can believe that you could Intimidate Mike Pence into returning the results, then it isn't much of a stretch to think that you might do more intimidation, to get the results you want with the same tactics.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
They didn't plan. They got marching orders from Trump in his speech that day.

They have to send the results back to the swing states to be redone. Trump claimed that all the swing states wanted them back for a redo. They just needed to convince(intimidate/threaten) Mike Pence to do the "right thing" and send them back, then he would win the election and they would be the happiest people... and if they didn't the country would be destroyed...

Who knows what Trumps plan was if Mike Pence did the "right thing" and sent the results back. Unleash more mob terror and intimidation, in those states until he gets the results he wants, then sends it back with the result he wants and he is president all fair and square. o_O

While that seems crazy to us, Trump and his cult don't run on human values. If you can believe that you could Intimidate Mike Pence into returning the results, then it isn't much of a stretch to think that you might do more intimidation, to get the results you want with the same tactics.

Well I was referring to the reported future plans in the link in Lanyap's post, rather than the recent violent farce.

But it's such a weird complex situation. That a lot of the wanna-be insurrectionists are cosplaying a coup, and come across as clowns, probably provides cover for a hard-core who are seriously dangerous. Though even then the 'danger' is not of an actual takeover of the country, but just of violence and death being visited on individuals, including cops and lawmakers. And then on top of that Trump himself is playing out his own psychodrama under the influence of interior psychological drives he's clearly not fully in control of. But his personal dysfunction is interacting with the dysfunction of the country as a whole - both the clown brigade and the violent terrorist element that hides among them. I mean, he's not Hitler and this isn't Weimar, but history never repeats itself exactly. There's always a new way for things to go horribly wrong.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Well I was referring to the reported future plans in the link in Lanyap's post, rather than the recent violent farce.

Ok, it wasn't clear what plan that was supposed to be.

I commented on the Lanyap link further up the page, where I call them laughably naive.

I don't take them seriously as plans. Seems more like pissed off losers talking big and scary.

I only addressed how laughable the "surround the capital" and take over part is, before we get to the what they do when they win that unwinnable battle.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Just took a peak on a gun forum. I really hope you all bought weapons the last four years. These people are full on batshit crazy. Everything we know them to be they are projecting on us. They seriously believe we are the monsters their media feeds them daily.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
So they didn't actually care about the Constitution?
So they didn't actually care about the Police?
So they didn't actually care about law and order?
So they were only law abiding citizens until they didn't get a very specific person to remain in office?
So they didn't actually care about their fellow Americans?
So they really are violent extremists who are willing to murder people?

What's next? You going to tell me that they no longer love the military?

Reactions: shortylickens

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Have to say Snopes is doing some good work on the Capitol riot stories.

Have to say I was misled by reports about the "oh the huge manatee" story. Glad to hear the creature wasn't really injured. Also I would not like to have been the Snopes reporter who had to ask the grieving widow about the taser story, but fair play to them for trying to get the facts right. Facts are generally a good thing.

I'd never heard of some of the Qanon theories they also debunk. The Pope one is so nutty that I would hesitate to even mention the debunking because it risks spreading the original lie.

Reactions: NTMBK and Zorba

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

The thing with Trump is that it doesn't need to be realistic to be real. It's also impossible to tell who planned what because it fell apart with the successful evacuation.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

No doubt Obama was thinking back to Waco during the Clinton years, how that turned out, and how it was a motive for the OKC bomber.

There isn't any clear right answer in how to handle those standoffs. However, I'm at a point where I think after a reasonable time and other methods employed, the feds should just open fire.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

I think what we're going to see in the near and middle term will be styled as insurrection but will really be stochastic terrorism. They can't take over the country but they can kill a lot of people.

Reactions: pmv

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I think what we're going to see in the near and middle term will be styled as insurrection but will really be stochastic terrorism. They can't take over the country but they can kill a lot of people.

If they can intimidate elected officials into not doing the right thing, if they start attacking polling stations to suppress the vote, they can take over the country... Just not immediately.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The thing with Trump is that it doesn't need to be realistic to be real. It's also impossible to tell who planned what because it fell apart with the successful evacuation.

Actually that brings up a question that I don't know the answer to - how much of these events are down to Trump, and how much are the independent plans of the far-right? Seems to me as if the two are opportunistically using each other, but not necessarily working in co-ordinated unison or to quite the same ends.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
No doubt Obama was thinking back to Waco during the Clinton years, how that turned out, and how it was a motive for the OKC bomber.

There isn't any clear right answer in how to handle those standoffs. However, I'm at a point where I think after a reasonable time and other methods employed, the feds should just open fire.
I get the avoiding Waco. But the fuckers should've been pick up later.

Next time, I agree, armed violent protesters should be treated just like any other armed violent person.