Feb 4, 2009
I agree with the President on this, well technically his administration I doubt he’s very involved in this.
I agree Chinese apps that want/need unusual access to your device need to be banned.
For the lazy, Pompeo said they are looking at banning Chinese Social Media apps, including TicTok

• Wow
Reactions: KMFJD
Nov 8, 2012
Do people make money at TikTok? If so... how?

You mean the people that use TikTok?

Not to my knowledge - sounds like any other normal social media - so the only money folks might make is from product sponsorships and such.

Either way, I'm reaaaaally going to hate when my kids get into high school or middle school even and want access to social media because all their friends will be on it. That shit is just totally toxic for kids in grade-school because instead of making friends, accomplishing shit, or learning in school they are more concerned about how many people "like" their photo/video.

Nov 8, 2012
Reactions: FaaR
Feb 4, 2009
Also China is just pissing off everyone lately.

I'm guessing from their latest moves to fuck over Hong Kong, looks like UK is responding by retracting their Huawei 5G work

I fully agree with this too.
President is right about a lot of trade stuff, he just lacks any plan.

Nov 8, 2012

I wish they would stop the one-time finger wagging and start actually phasing shit out.

Any dependencies should phased out as we change to other resources (South Korea, Taiwan, India, etc.) until they start making changes. Bonus points for doing it conjunction with other countries.

It's easy to retaliate and stopping trade with us as well, but when UK/EU does the same as us - I guarantee shit would change quickly.

Feb 4, 2009
I wish they would stop the one-time finger wagging and start actually phasing shit out.

Any dependencies should phased out as we change to other resources (South Korea, Taiwan, India, etc.) until they start making changes. Bonus points for doing it conjunction with other countries.

It's easy to retaliate and stopping trade with us as well, but when UK/EU does the same as us - I guarantee shit would change quickly.

That’s kind of what I mean by no plan. We don’t know what success is and what failure looks like so nothing significant happens.

Nov 8, 2012
That’s kind of what I mean by no plan. We don’t know what success is and what failure looks like so nothing significant happens.

As much as I have no problem blaming the stupidity of our President, what stops the oh-so intelligent EU from grabbing their balls and doing something instead of pussy-footing around?

Do they really NEED the US to hold their hand on shit like this?

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Like with Huawei and sanctions on Russia? Yea. Sure.

While TicTACKS should probably be tossed in the shitter for security reasons, whatever comes out of the US's current administration on the subject just cant be trusted, period, for a HUGE number of reasons. We wouldnt take Russias word for it either.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

If you think it’s bad now, wait until Taiwan becomes the next Hong Kong. That’s where we’re headed in the next decade. China will also exert greater pressure across the region—Malaysia and Singapore are just a few examples. Imagine the nightmare that will be creating an entirely new semiconductor and electronics supply chain free from China’s influence.

As more Chinese begin to enjoy a standard of living similar to or better than North America and Western Europe and laborers become scarcer, you’ll see China move their cheap labor manufacturing base to North Korea and Africa.

Reactions: ch33zw1z and KMFJD
Feb 4, 2009
As much as I have no problem blaming the stupidity of our President, what stops the oh-so intelligent EU from grabbing their balls and doing something instead of pussy-footing around?

Per my pervious experience in wireless it is easier and more efficient if carriers “sort” of agree what kind of network gear they use. Sort of hard to explain but an engineer told me something about how the gear works by a standard but vary a little bit and when multiplied thousands of times it can cause odd problems, like an LG mobile device gets worse service vs a Samsung device in one area and the opposite in another.
The shit is expensive. Ideally to me the Gov would sponsor a US company and and EU company to make this shit.
I totally get the idea it would cost more and that cost would be built into our bills but having a consortium of trusted partners do it is worth something plus no one person owns all the patents.

Mar 11, 2004

No he's not. He just says stupid shit. Its not no plan, its literally him spouting racist shit that he himself won't abide by. You're a fool if you believe anything he says about anything.

I agree with the President on this, well technically his administration I doubt he’s very involved in this.
I agree Chinese apps that want/need unusual access to your device need to be banned.
For the lazy, Pompeo said they are looking at banning Chinese Social Media apps, including TicTok

How about we apply that to any and all apps regardless of where the ownership group that owns the majority stake in the company is? Plus, it'd help if they had any actual proof of their claims versus just fearmongering bullshit. Guess what, we know they've been doing what they're saying they're going to ban Chinese things for. But that's not just ok, they need even more access! And they want to force American companies to do the work for them.

I hope you realize they're being MASSIVE hypocrites as they're trying to force their own backdoors which will make it easier for China to access your data. They don't actually give a shit at all about that, they're using that to justify doing that shit themselves.

Feb 4, 2009
No he's not. He just says stupid shit. Its not no plan, its literally him spouting racist shit that he himself won't abide by. You're a fool if you believe anything he says about anything.

How about we apply that to any and all apps regardless of where the ownership group that owns the majority stake in the company is? Plus, it'd help if they had any actual proof of their claims versus just fearmongering bullshit. Guess what, we know they've been doing what they're saying they're going to ban Chinese things for. But that's not just ok, they need even more access! And they want to force American companies to do the work for them.

I hope you realize they're being MASSIVE hypocrites as they're trying to force their own backdoors which will make it easier for China to access your data. They don't actually give a shit at all about that, they're using that to justify doing that shit themselves.

Sorry I don’t understand the second part.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Why limit that to Chinese apps? Make it a law for everyone and get some decent privacy legislation going. What's to stop a Chinese firm setting up a shell US company and carrying on?

Feb 4, 2009
Why limit that to Chinese apps? Make it a law for everyone and get some decent privacy legislation going. What's to stop a Chinese firm setting up a shell US company and carrying on?

Yeah I agree here too but we would need Congress to do that. Not really in the Presidents power unless it is a national security thing.
Really it comes down to where the data is stored (TicTok has said US data stored in US) and who has access to that data which TicTok says in from Taiwan who at this juncture we have to assume that is mainland China.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah I agree here too but we would need Congress to do that. Not really in the Presidents power unless it is a national security thing.
Really it comes down to where the data is stored (TicTok has said US data stored in US) and who has access to that data which TicTok says in from Taiwan who at this juncture we have to assume that is mainland China.
I always assume that if a law or rule specifically singles out one group of people as not being able to do something its because they specifically want to allow a different group to do that.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
This is getting annoying. It's spelled "TikTok". If you forget, remember that TikTok is "over 'c's".

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

American and foreign firms invade the privacy of social media users regularly. The only reason to oppose a Chinese firm doing this is Sinophobia.

Reactions: dawp and woolfe9998

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
How about we apply that to any and all apps regardless of where the ownership group that owns the majority stake in the company is?
I don't quite follow you. Are you advocating that any app that requests deep access to your phone should be banned? That sounds weird/excessive.

Plus, it'd help if they had any actual proof of their claims versus just fearmongering bullshit.
Well.

Chinese apps are kind of inherently a problem for western democracies because there's really no separation between a Chinese corporation and the Chinese state. And a social media app that records video and sound captures large amounts of extraneous data by its very function. You can figure out without too much difficulty who uses the app, where, when, what they look like, what their voice sounds like, their interests and habits, information on their movements, educated guesses on income/wealth, similar information on friends and family who appear in their videos, and more.

That's a lot of info you might not want a totalitarian killer regime to have access to, if you live in the "free" world at least. TikTok or whomever could say they store westerners' data outside China, but this is the internet. This data can be accessed from anywhere, where it is stored isn't nearly that important really.

I hope you realize they're being MASSIVE hypocrites as they're trying to force their own backdoors which will make it easier for China to access your data.
Well, that is a legit concern, yes.

Trump is just twisted that the TikTok'ers punked his campaign with all the fake signups for his Tulsa rally. He wants to generate all the fake news himself.
If it was anyone but Dumpy, I would say you'd be off your rockers. But he's such a petty, thin-skinned, vindictive bastard I totally would not be surprised if you're right.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It's one thing if we're worried about Huawei hardware being used by the Chinese government to intercept data which may relate to national security, or be used for corporate espionage. It's quite another to extend this logic to a social media platform owned by a Chinese company being used to invade the privacy of social media users. As Blackjack said above, the US government does this, and so too do other governments, already. There is no reason to have special, elevated concern over this in relation to a Chinese social media company unless it is Sinophobia.

Reactions: dawp

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't quite follow you. Are you advocating that any app that requests deep access to your phone should be banned? That sounds weird/excessive.

Well.

Chinese apps are kind of inherently a problem for western democracies because there's really no separation between a Chinese corporation and the Chinese state. And a social media app that records video and sound captures large amounts of extraneous data by its very function. You can figure out without too much difficulty who uses the app, where, when, what they look like, what their voice sounds like, their interests and habits, information on their movements, educated guesses on income/wealth, similar information on friends and family who appear in their videos, and more.

That's a lot of info you might not want a totalitarian killer regime to have access to, if you live in the "free" world at least. TikTok or whomever could say they store westerners' data outside China, but this is the internet. This data can be accessed from anywhere, where it is stored isn't nearly that important really.

Well, that is a legit concern, yes.

If it was anyone but Dumpy, I would say you'd be off your rockers. But he's such a petty, thin-skinned, vindictive bastard I totally would not be surprised if you're right.

In practical terms, how is that any different than Western Governments? Danger to Freedom/Totalitarianism are very relative terms, especially to the Masses whose daily affairs raise no concerns to anyone. However, if you asked a Middle Easterner who was a greater risk to them, China is going to be fairly low on their list. As a Nobody Westerner, my own Government(although I would argue that the US Governnent could/would screw me over worse) is a far greater risk to My Freedom than China is. If the US/Western Governments were more Open and Restrictive of their own surveillance of Us, I would be far more supportive of these condemnations of China. That is not the case though and everything we do is being or can be shared with multiple sources if they deem it useful.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's one thing if we're worried about Huawei hardware being used by the Chinese government to intercept data which may relate to national security, or be used for corporate espionage. It's quite another to extend this logic to a social media platform owned by a Chinese company being used to invade the privacy of social media users. As Blackjack said above, the US government does this, and so too do other governments, already. There is no reason to have special, elevated concern over this in relation to a Chinese social media company unless it is Sinophobia.

I think a lot of it is an Economic concern. It's an attempt to prevent China from succeeding Economically in certain areas, giving one's own Corps an Advantage by forcing out Chinese competition. Crony Capitalism at work.

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I'm against the US government "banning" any web sites or traffic. That's third-world dictator style governing, and we should be better than that. The internet should remain free and open to every extent possible.

Reactions: Ken g6