US abortion rule 'hits Africa women'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by: daniel1113
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
glenn1 - you're a much more reasonable person than I gave you credit for :) To be honest, I was simply trying to point out that there's a price to be paid for taking a hardline anti-abortion stance. Whether it's in the U.S. or abroad, a lot of women will die from botched abortions. Outlawing them simply doesn't make them go away. My point, and I think this is important, is that the Bush administration (and those that support his pro-life policies) are going to have to face the deaths of tens of thousands of women. While (in their eyes) we may save the lives of unborn, we sacrifice the lives of these women. Is this an equitable trade-off in the eyes of those who are so adamantly pro-life? That's the $21million question. :)

However, the U.S. is not paying for those "botched" abortions. Perhaps the money could be used to educate people with better options, such as adoption or sexual abstinence. Just as many lives, if not more, could be saved this way.

or perhaps birth control?
sexual abstinence is a pipe dream.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
1000s of people, if not more, practice abstinence everyday. It's quite simple, really. However, it does take personal responsibillity.

But, I would support birth control over abortion.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
everything i've read about africa, unfortunately indicates that after 50 years of foriegn aid
that things are worse than ever. the sad reality about africa is that there is rampant govermental corruption ("to be a politician in africa is to be a thief"),
that foreign aid has fostered dependance, and actually hurt local economies, and that little of what is sent as aid actually reaches anyone, or does any good.

i would argue that the sexual behavior of african men and women put thousands of lives at risk..

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
i would argue that the sexual behavior of african men and women put thousands of lives at risk..

I agree completely. It's unfortunate, but true.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
My hard line stance is to leave Africa alone and let them deal with their own problems.

If we must get involved, however, it would be prudent to be pragmatic rather than to hang ourselves on principle.