Urgent!Need you guys help or suggestion.

bruce0916

Jan 26, 2010
Hello all,

Here is my situation. I brought a brand new MBA2012 in June, but unfortunately, I spilt water on my MBA's keyboard yesterday. Immediately, I turned off my laptop but I forgot removing the battery right away. Few hours later, I tried to power on it but found it is dead and cannot be turned on. That is, no any response when I press the power key.

I went to the apple store nearby today and Genius told me their warranty didn't cover spill water, and the repair fee is pretty expensive, which is $750USD in my case. Therefore, I gave up repairing it right away and brought my MBA back.

Do you think I should spend such high cost on repairing my MBA? Or I can find another private store to fix my laptop. The worst case can I can image is to buy a new one instead of fixing it.

By the way, I bought my MBA about two weeks ago, and I still have not registered it yet on Apple's website and the tragedy happens, does it impact on my warranty?
Since the MBA can't be powered on now, it's not possible to register it on website due to I can’t access device ID in computer.

Thanks for all you valuable suggestions in advance. Thanks.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
A private retailer may be able to fix it for less. But most likely you've shorted out the motherboard, which is most of the cost of the machine right there. Still, it wouldn't hurt to call around and see if anyone could do it for less.

If not, I'm really not sure I'd try to repair it. The 2013s aren't much faster, but the battery life improvements are massive. You can sell the old one for parts (the screen, the clickpad, and the chassis all have some value), which would at least cover some of the difference.

And finally, no, registration is not necessary for your warranty. You get 1 year (unless you bought Applecare) regardless.