*urgent* help with dreamweaver templates required

Gorgonzola

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
hey,

i have been coding pages in notepad for years but decided to give dreamweaver a shot for a page im working on in hope of speeding up development time (i have used it once in the past for a uni assignment, so i am somewhat familiar with it).

for some reason my template seems slightly stuffed up and isn't working correctly. the pages created from the template work fine if i right click and goto "preview in browser->iexplorer". however, if i double click on the html file in windows explorer it loads up the page and all the image links are dead. they all read file:///c:/images/imagename.gif instead of file:///c:/webpage/images/imagename.gif

however....if i right click and view the source, most of the image links are infact correct!

anyone know whats going on?

also for some reason, even though i saved the template in a dir called Templates, only some of the image links read ../images/imagename.gif whereas some say /images/imagename.gif which is obviously incorrect as it first needs to back out of the Templates dir to get to the images directory. yet strangely as i said before, it all shows up fine using the browser preview in dreamweaver.

can any one offer some ideas as to what i might try to fix this?

i really need to get this fixed ASAP so i can start filling the pages with the content.

thanks! :)

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
Are you doing this one page at a time or have you defined a site? If it's the last one, then you can use the link checker to fix everything. Take note that this is me assuming you're using DW-UltraDev, can't recall if the process is the same with the regular Dreamweaver package.

Gorgonzola

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
thanks for the reply.

it is defined as a site. im using the stand alone dreamweaver mx package.

i tried the link checker but it didn't fix the problem, because as far as dreamweaver is concerned, it thinks that the links are right (it shows them correctly in dreamweaver, but not when the file is opened outside dreamweaver).

this is what is making this problem so puzzling :(

anymore ideas? :)

Gorgonzola

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
*BUMP*

i noticed that for some reason, it changes the ../images/imagename.gif to just /images/imagename.gif when i save the file from the template. before i save it the code reads correctly.

can anyone else help?

Gorgonzola

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
ok, i think i might have figured it out.

it would appear that creating a new page from the template caused the code to get screwed up upon saving.

however if i make a new document, then apply the template to the page, then save it, it appears to work as it should.

is the first method not working due to a bug in the software?

i am now much happier! :D

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
It's been a while since i used templates in DW but IIRC, that may have been the problem. When creating templates for Dreamweaver what i do is i create the template first. Once that's completed i then start out with a new document and set it up in the code to include the templates.

Another way of doing it is to create the templates and specifying which part of the template will contain dynamic content.