Urban gardening takes hold

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
WOW! This is cool, I'm glad to see this on so many levels.

First, I feel its important to attempt a shift to a more local economy where applicable. I think with rising fuel prices and the trickle down (up) affect of that a real cost saving measure will be found through the adoption of localized communities. Why have something trucked half way across the country when you can grow it locally?

Secondly, it shows a community effort to take care of the poor. Rather the sit around and wait for money its nice to see efforts at a local level to deal with the poor, elderly or any other in need group.

I hope this is a trend we see carried out elsewhere.

Click

Urban farming takes root in Detroit

Could growing fresh vegetables help save crumbling inner cities around the world and tackle hunger?

That is the ambitious aim of a charity called Urban Farming, which has its headquarters in Detroit, the capital of the US's wilting car industry.

The idea is very simple: turn wasteland into free vegetable gardens and feed the poor people who live nearby.

Motown has lost more than a million residents since its heyday in the 1950s and it is common to see downtown residential streets with just a few houses left standing.

Taja Sevelle saw the hundreds of hectares of vacant land in the city and came up with the idea of creating an organic self-help movement that would be "affordable (and) practical".

Beginning three years ago, armed with $5,000 (£2,500) and a pamphlet, the singer and entrepreneur managed to win a wide cross-section of support around the city. Now her charity is expanding across the US.

Ms Sevelle is also keen to discuss her ideas with the new Mayor of London, Boris Johnson.

With a handful of full-time staff, Urban Farming co-ordinates the cultivation of what amounts to 500 family-sized gardens across Detroit.

No greed

Visiting one of the largest allotments, on a site that had been derelict since Detroit's infamous 1967 riots, locals spoke about an astonishing transformation.

"There is something that every hand in this area can do," said Rose Stallard, who is keen to enlist as many volunteers as possible to help tend the garden and its precious crops.

As she organises a band of eager helpers to pull greens from the rich top-soil, Ms Stallard says food is more expensive than ever and neighbourhood shops are scarce.

"That's one cucumber you didn't have to pay 69 cents for," she adds, with a smile.

There are no fences but one local said greed had not been a problem.

"People are only taking what they need, because they know it's for everybody," he said.

Collective wisdom

Many of the regular gardeners come from rehabilitation programmes linked to the county jail.

Offenders say they have earned self-respect, as well as local thanks, for literally doing the spade-work.

"It's good for me to know that I'm helping somebody, instead of hurting somebody," said Reginald Moore.

"All this is positive. Next year, you'll see this all over," added Rod Shepard.

Providing free food on the doorstep brings people together and spreads collective wisdom, according to local city hall manager Gail Carr.

"Fresh fruits and vegetables are something that we all need. And we really, really need to educate our children in that area.

"If we don't, we're going to have a lost generation to many diseases such as diabetes," she said.

The local sheriff's liaison officer, Beth Roberts, said that crime figures had improved wherever Urban Farming took root.

Growing crops also marked a return to slower but better times, she said.

"We used to do this in our backyards. This used to be a culture, a way of life, so we're restoring that through urban farming."

Future plans

As the charity expands, it remains to be seen if enough local people will do the groundwork to keep the gardens blooming.

But the idea of permanent social change, away from the old industrial core, is something that Detroit sorely needs, according to the editorial page editor of the Detroit News, Nolan Finley.

"Today's reality is that we have a lot of vacant space, and not much economic opportunity," he said.

"You could have urban farming - you could have livestock in some of these stretches of empty land.

"You could reforest it into tree farms so you're not maintaining a sidewalk, a power line, for a street that has two houses on it."

The conversion from Motown to Growtown may seem far-fetched, but given Detroit's economic woes, marketable ideas are in big demand.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
fantastic idea.

Detroit is a strange place to see this kind of effort take place.

Here in Sacramento there is a large East European community growing in the neighborhood where I grew up. Every yard has a garden, and there is a community garden that used to be this big public park. It puts any garden I have ever seen to shame.

Our own neighborhood where we live now has a growing and busy community garden.

a sign of the times i think, and a welcome sign as well.

THanks for the story OP.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't know why the government doesn't build huge national farming communities where people who don't want or can't find jobs can go live rent free and be given a chance to grow what they need to live. Prisons could be built where if you don't work the land you don't eat. People are fucked up because there lives have no meaning. When you live on the land all meaning and your purpose is very clear.

Well I do know why, actually. We were all punished as a means to get us to conform and now we feel a need to hurt anyone who steps out of line. You will fucking suffer or do what you're told, no?

Let's never ever understand our problems existentially, please. Let's pretend instead that it's everybody else that's brain dead.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Going the distance without waiting for the government to do something for you :thumbsup:

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
We grow vegetables in our backyard and then share them with the neighbors....

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I don't know why the government doesn't build huge national farming communities where people who don't want or can't find jobs can go live rent free and be given a chance to grow what they need to live. Prisons could be built where if you don't work the land you don't eat. People are fucked up because there lives have no meaning. When you live on the land all meaning and your purpose is very clear.

Well I do know why, actually. We were all punished as a means to get us to conform and now we feel a need to hurt anyone who steps out of line. You will fucking suffer or do what you're told, no?

Let's never ever understand our problems existentially, please. Let's pretend instead that it's everybody else that's brain dead.

Not to mention you would be throwing civilization back about 700 years or so to an agricultural slave nation.

Feb 24, 2001

Because the states have outlawed such a practice.

Texas used to use this for prisons. Inmates worked the fields for food and cotton, which was used in the prisons for meals and clothing. But it was inhumane or whatever BS.

Now the wardens still have prisoners "tending" the fields, but aren't allowed to grow anything. Hoeing rows, setting up fields. But at the end of the day a tractor comes out and puts it all flat again so they can start over the next day.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones

Texas used to use this for prisons. Inmates worked the fields for food and cotton, which was used in the prisons for meals and clothing. But it was inhumane or whatever BS.

Now the wardens still have prisoners "tending" the fields, but aren't allowed to grow anything. Hoeing rows, setting up fields. But at the end of the day a tractor comes out and puts it all flat again so they can start over the next day.

Got to reinforce that feeling that life is meaningless.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: RichardE

Not to mention you would be throwing civilization back about 700 years or so to an agricultural slave nation.

I think it'd only be a slave nation if others were eating the crops. If the crops are used to feed the inmate population then I dont think they cane be considered slaves for growing their own food.

imho

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: RichardE

You have no idea the extent to which this is the dark ages.

Before you can do anything right you have to understand what your doing to the level of basic principles. I am not talking about slave labor, but the human need to have meaning and the meaninglessness of modern life for huge portions of the population who could find that meaning close to the earth. I am talking about the feeling one gets when one achieves something, something vital like a fine meal one puts on the table with one's own hands. I am talking about providing some outlet to the fact that we have millions who are uneducated, uninterested, unskilled, and emotionally and intellectually unsuited for a life of competition with other people, who, like our ancestors for millions of years communally lived off the land.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: GoPackGo

Ditto. My wife has a small garden she shares with neighbors who share theirs as well.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Are you serious? I don't have a lot of sympathy for prisoners but that's pretty much a waste of effort. You'd think letting them grow their own food might give them a sense of pride instead of making small rocks out of big rocks.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Suprisingly I'll side with Moonbeam on this one. My entire family gardens. My son really enjoys it, he'll plant any seed he can find. He loves to garden, and realyl takes it serious. He thinks its the greatest thing to grow his own food. Hes got maple trees, corn, radishes and lettuce going.

I have no idea where the hell we're going to put the maple trees.....But we got'm.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: OrByte
fantastic idea.

Here in Sacramento there is a large East European community growing in the neighborhood where I grew up. Every yard has a garden, and there is a community garden that used to be this big public park. It puts any garden I have ever seen to shame.

THanks for the story OP.

Yeah, I about shit when I saw it was in Detroit!

Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor

Are you serious? I don't have a lot of sympathy for prisoners but that's pretty much a waste of effort. You'd think letting them grow their own food might give them a sense of pride instead of making small rocks out of big rocks.

Already mentioned, but the soft hearts felt that it was too much like slavery. So now they do the same thing but with no production or benefit to themselves or others and I guess the feel-gooders call it progress :disgust:

GoPackGo

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2003
Originally posted by: GoPackGo

Ditto. My wife has a small garden she shares with neighbors who share theirs as well.

A friend of mine has an incredible garden and he just added one more piece to the puzzle...Honey Bees. Of course he lives just outside of town.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004

If you can think of a more efficient way to meet our nations small rock needs without back breaking slave labor, I'd sure love to hear it! Those small rocks are needed, so thems the back breaks.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
There was a story in the local paper recently that people in Vermont's 'big city' were having their tomato plants stolen off their porch.

Was probably some drunk college kid that wanted to piss in the pot for a laugh. Oh those kids!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
fantastic idea.

THanks for the story OP.

Don't forget about the horses and buggies making a comeback.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
there was a community garden around the corner from the house i rented last year. it was a nice place to just sit.

there was a tree with a particularly sour citrus fruit on it. dunno what it was. lots and lots of little fruit on it.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
fantastic idea.

THanks for the story OP.

Don't forget about the horses and buggies making a comeback.

We're talking about the economy Dave, we're not interested in hearing about your romantic encounters.