Upside Down Center Channel (RTi A6)

BeeBoop

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2013
Is this okay? I noticed the RTi A6 has two speakers. Does this ruin the sound when an object passes across the screen in a left to right motion? Pic of RTI A6 below.

Can an RTI A6 be placed upside down without ruining the sound of an object moving across the screen?

32_1_large.jpg

Last edited:

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
It's 1 channel of a speaker. You wouldn't get sound like how you're thinking when an object passes from left to right. It would from from Left Channel Speaker, to Center Channel Speaker, To Right channel speaker.
Your receiver can't differentiate between left/right speaker on the Center Channel Speaker. You could orient it upright for all you care (Depends on the design of the speaker of course).

The orientation has to do more with how the speaker was designed to be used.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Yeah, I have the previous version of that center mounted upside down.

No problem since the panning effect is created using volume differentials between the center and L/R.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
No... that's definitely not something you want to do.

Yes it is. Not in this scenario obviously with a mono center channel, but if it were a left/right scenario in a single unit and you were flipping it upside down...changing the wires of the left and right would work fine. (not talking about flipping pos/neg).

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
my Polk center (CSi3) is underneath my TV...didn't realize that I could flip it upside down until last week ...sounds a bit clearer I think...

Before flipping it over, I just propped up the front edge of the speaker so front of the speaker was angled closer to my head...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
From Polk Audio:
Mounting Options

Reversible Design: If the speaker must be positioned below ear level, you can turn the cabinet upside down, allowing the drivers to fire upward.

Adjustable Kickstand: The speaker features a unique Adjustable Kickstand for secure balance on shallow-depth TVs and monitors.

Magnetically Shielded: The speaker is magnetically shielded, allowing you to place it on your television without distorting the picture.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yes it is. Not in this scenario obviously with a mono center channel, but if it were a left/right scenario in a single unit and you were flipping it upside down...changing the wires of the left and right would work fine. (not talking about flipping pos/neg).

que? this is a mono speaker, there is no left or right to speak of.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
You will get comb filtering with the speaker mounted horizontally. It would likely sound better on end. That is the problem with most center speakers and the manufacturers won't tell you this.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

What the heck is a left/right center channel????

Not sure if trolling or serious...

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
In isolation, mounting right side up or upside down doesn't matter since our ears are spaced horizontally on our head. It's only dependent on what is near the speaker, e.g. sitting on a shelf vs. mounted on the wall above a TV, and the angle between the speaker and the listener will alter diffraction effects off the baffle, too. But the only "right" way to mount the speaker is the way that sounds better to you.

But I'll second what Marincounty had to say. Any horizontally positioned MTM is a compromise. It makes it much easier to position the speaker in furniture or on a wall next to a TV, but it narrows the "sweet spot" unless the crossover point between the tweeter and woofers is very low.

harobikes333

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2005
daily-page.com
I have the CSi5 RTi Center Channel Speaker ( previous model of the one you're talking about ) and I have mine upside down. Works like a champ, a power loving champ! :D

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
You will get comb filtering with the speaker mounted horizontally. It would likely sound better on end. That is the problem with most center speakers and the manufacturers won't tell you this.

But I'll second what Marincounty had to say. Any horizontally positioned MTM is a compromise. It makes it much easier to position the speaker in furniture or on a wall next to a TV, but it narrows the "sweet spot" unless the crossover point between the tweeter and woofers is very low.

Most people, myself included (though I don't consider myself an audiophile), aren't going to really notice this. My Polk TsX center channel sounds great from pretty much any spot remotely in front of it, AND it's upside done (angling up). It's an MTM.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Most people, myself included (though I don't consider myself an audiophile), aren't going to really notice this. My Polk TsX center channel sounds great from pretty much any spot remotely in front of it, AND it's upside done (angling up). It's an MTM.

You don't know til you know.

That's how I describe it. I was VERY happy with my Polk's until I read up on other speakers. Then, I got B&W's entry level speakers, and they sound MUCH better (more clear).

I was happy with my Klipsch RW-12D. Then, I took the leap, built my own subwoofer. It's just a monster, it truly is so much bass and it's clear, scary clear.

I don't want to write you a novel, but in my experience, I had 0 clue what I was missing until I actually took the leap. I highly suggest DIY, myself, as an audio noob with 0 hands on experience (I don't like to get dirty at all), it was a learning experience and what I got was an AMAZING finished product. If I had the cash right now, I would throw out all my speakers and go full DIY. Polks are great entry level, but you won't beat the value of DIY without spending a LOT of cash, or going to somewhere like JTRspeakers (which still costs a lot). $1000 in DIY speakers would probably be the equivalent of around $3000+ in commercial depending on where you purchase.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
$1000 in DIY speakers would probably be the equivalent of around $3000+ in commercial depending on where you purchase.

I seriously doubt you'd come anywhere close to what a Paradigm Studio 60 sounds like, much less replicate the cabinetry, for $1000 DIY, or a KEF Q900 for that matter.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
. $1000 in DIY speakers would probably be the equivalent of around $3000+ in commercial depending on where you purchase.

I think I'd spend maybe two thousand for all 5 channels plus the subwoofer. My current setup of Polk TsX + Sony sub cost me about $600.

I'm going to start looking into a new sub and the budget will be $600.

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
I seriously doubt you'd come anywhere close to what a Paradigm Studio 60 sounds like, much less replicate the cabinetry, for $1000 DIY, or a KEF Q900 for that matter.

You could surpass the sound quality EASILY for $1000 DIY. The cabinet- depends on the kit or your carpentry and finishing skills.