Upraded vid card and now I can't OC

Ruhnie

Sep 4, 2001
I've been running a P4 2.4B on my P4G8X Deluxe steadily at 2.7 with a 150MHz fsb speed for the last several months. I decided to upgrade my GeForce 3 to a Radeon 9800 Pro. I installed it last night, and reset my fsb to default just to make sure everything was stable. After getting the drivers in and testing it out, everything seemed fine. Then I put my fsb back to 150, and it boots, but when it starts to load win xp, it just displays a blank blue screen (the color of my desktop, not a bsod). It basically forces me to restart and reset my BIOS. Does anyone know what I need to do to get around this? Should I be playing with my voltage settings at all, because they are at stock settings? Thanks for any help.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
The Radeon 9500/9700/9800 series is well known for not liking an overclocked AGP bus. If your board doesn't have an agp/pci lock, then a 150MHz fsb speed is a 75MHz agp bus speed.

Ruhnie

Sep 4, 2001
My bios has two settings available, one for agp frequency setting, which can be either auto or manual, and one for the actual frequency. It says I can overclock the agp frequency, but doesn't say anything about locking it, based on the fsb speed. What do you think?

masterosok

Apr 30, 2003
Set the freq. setting to manual, then set the freq to 66mhz... that should lock it so that if the fbs is increased the agp bus stays at 66mhz.

What mobo do you have?

Ruhnie

Sep 4, 2001
Sweet, that's what I was gonna try when I got home from work. It's the Asus P4G8X (granite bay).