Upgrading W7 HTPC to W10... what to use for WMC?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
My old HTPC is still running W7, and I use Windows Media Center for my stored files only. I love WMC, but I understand it's time to move on, and it will disappear when I load W10, anyway.

I've been out of the HTPC game for a while, so I don't really know what's out there that's EASY to use, like WMC was. I've fooled with Kodi, and have had mixed success with it. I don't consider it very intuitive or user friendly. I don't need a bunch of sparkly bling to impress me, I prefer the simplicity of WMC... because in the end, I'm there to watch a movie, not stare at the GUI. Can anyone steer me to a likely replacement for WMC?

System is an i3 Sandy with a GTX950, so it's pretty capable. I can use a mouse to navigate because we also use web-based streaming (Netflix, Amazon, YTTV) and it's easier to get around with than a remote.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I use VLC now when WMC gags on something, but I dont care for it. Starting movies means scrolling down a list of file names.... unless I'm missing something.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Personally I like the simplicity of scrolling down a list of file names, nothing to configure. :)

Try Media-Portal then if you don't like Kodi / VLC.

A lot of people use Plex

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
My WMC has a Media Portal snap-in... I'll have to take a look at that, that and Plex. Thank you!