Upgrading video card

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
toyota, why don't you quit talking about theories and actually DO something. buy/borrow a 9600gt and a 4850, get the op's cpu settings and clock yours at a similar level, find out the op's actual in game settings, then either prove or disprove his statements. unless and until you do that you are bringing a few pieces of paper with tech specs to a swordfight. The only thing you can do is accuse him of lying, but he has no reason to make this up. He said that his subjective experience is much much better, deal with it.

benchmarks are facts and/or at the very least guidelines but you easily discount those. if you actually believe that he got the increase in performance that he is claiming then you are being foolish which is not like you at all. sure he may have noticed the game was less stuttery but even that is probably a little exaggerated. I cannot say how the game feels to him but I can certainly say he isnt getting the increase he claims.with his cpu and at 1280, at most his minimum framerates would have only increased in Risen by 10-15% when going from the 9600gt to the 4850. you can clearly see that even the faster 4870 only got 25% better minimum framerates over the 9600gt and thats with an overclocked i7 which certainly makes a difference over his 2.6 X2 at just 1280.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Originally posted by: toyota
toyota, why don't you quit talking about theories and actually DO something. buy/borrow a 9600gt and a 4850, get the op's cpu settings and clock yours at a similar level, find out the op's actual in game settings, then either prove or disprove his statements. unless and until you do that you are bringing a few pieces of paper with tech specs to a swordfight. The only thing you can do is accuse him of lying, but he has no reason to make this up. He said that his subjective experience is much much better, deal with it.

benchmarks are facts and you discount those. if you actually believe that he got the increase in performance that he is claiming then you are a fool. sure he may have noticed the game was less stuttery but even that is probably a little exaggerated. with his cpu and at 1280, at most his minimum framerates would have only increased in Risen by 10-15% when going from the 9600gt to the 4850. you can clearly see that even the faster 4870 only got 25% better minimum framerates over the 9600gt and thats with an overclocked i7 which certainly makes a difference over his 2.6 X2 at just 1280.

Numbers are numbers...what I see before me is tangible facts.

When a critic says a movie is bad, do you kneel before him or go SEE the movie and judge by yourself?

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rhezuss
Originally posted by: toyota

benchmarks are facts and you discount those. if you actually believe that he got the increase in performance that he is claiming then you are a fool. sure he may have noticed the game was less stuttery but even that is probably a little exaggerated. with his cpu and at 1280, at most his minimum framerates would have only increased in Risen by 10-15% when going from the 9600gt to the 4850. you can clearly see that even the faster 4870 only got 25% better minimum framerates over the 9600gt and thats with an overclocked i7 which certainly makes a difference over his 2.6 X2 at just 1280.

Numbers are numbers...what I see before me is tangible facts.

When a critic says a movie is bad, do you kneel before him or go SEE the movie and judge by yourself?

yeah because an opinion is the same thing as a physical product that has limitations? :roll: if you are sticking to your original claims then either your system was borked before or you are living in a fantasy land. your claim is right up there with the kids posting nonsense on youtube and newegg for their reviews. a 2.7x increase in minimum framerates and nearly 2x increase in average framerate going from a 9600gt to a 4850 at 1280x1024 and with your 2.6 X2 is not possible in reality. hell as you could see in the benchmark those kind of increases in Risen were not even close to possible going from the 9600gt to even much much faster cards than a 4850 and with an overclocked i7.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Not to revive the thread but I just replaced my old Viewsonic VX922 19" (1280*1024) with a LG Flatron W2353V-PF 23" widescreen (1920*1080) and it's just wow!!!!

The VX922 had troubles with colors...too greenish and viewing angles were so bad (150H/130V). But now with the W2353V-PF...what a huge upgrade! Everything is better, colors, viewing angles, games (with the 1920*1080 res).

The HD4850 performs quite well too, more laggy in some games but nothing huge.

Just wanted to brag a bit!
Have a nice 2010!!!!