Upgrading System

WoodDraw

Jul 8, 2001
My current system is in need of an upgrade. I need a bit of help with picking some of the stuff out. I'm not to good with hardware. ;)

1. New processor. My current system is a 500MHz celron. I want to update this to the highest I can without getting a new motherboard. Here is some more info.
----System Chipset: Intel Corporation 82810 810 Chipset Memory Controller Hub
----Motherboard: Made by Asus. It says the Model is "Hawk" and the version is "1.00". This meens nothing to me.

2. Some more ram. I just upgrade for 95 to 128 not to long ago. What is the most I can put in my system? 128 is doing fine for me right now, but I feel I will soon have to update.

3. New video card. What is a dcent card (not to expensive) that will work with my system?

Thats all I can think of now. I welcome any other ideas. Thanks in advance for any help.

AMDPwred

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
You would be wasting time and money buying the new chip/RAM/video card and leaving that motherboard in there. Do yourself a favor and get a new MB also.

WoodDraw

Jul 8, 2001
Ok then... :)

Any good, affordable motherboards out there? I don't need anything special. Just better then what I have now.

WoodDraw

Jul 8, 2001
Well, I have always used Intel in the past and it has worked fine. But, If I'mg getting a new motherboard then I guess it reall doesn't matter.

evilhomey

May 10, 2001
You can find out the name of your motherboard when u turn ur PC on... when it's doing the memory test thingy look at the first few lines above it ...

you've got a cel 500? how about overclockin it?

depending on whether your motherboard will support the newer processors, here's my take at it !

Try and find a Pentium3 700 ( they're overclockable to erm ... 900+ )
I'd take it your motherboard is a slot1 motherboard, if so a slocket and a new celeron would do u some good

memory wise, grab em while they're cheap .... go all the way but remember that dependin on what OS you are running it may not be able to handle the vast amounts of memory you can get these days hehehe read the FAQs for more info

dependin on your needs again ... Geforce 2 range of cards are affordable .. I'd recommend a Geforce 2 MX or Mx400 !

hope this helps ..!!

AMDPwred

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
If it were me I'd go out and buy an Epox board ($120), 1ghz T-Bird ($60 OEM), 256MB PC2100 RAM ($35) and a GF2 GTS or MX (depending on your cash situation). That would be a great system for a very nice price.

WoodDraw

Jul 8, 2001
I've been lookin at the EPOX and ASUS boards now. They are both looking good. I'm gonna go AMD now as well.

Crucial ram.

Now all I need to figure out is a good Video card. Still lookin.

majewski9

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Why to go! A pentium 3 would probaly be more than a duron or lower clocked Athlon + a motherboard.

A good cheap vid card is the Radeon LE! A real good card if you wanna spend $$$ is the Gainward GF3 Powerpack!!! or the radeon 8500!